The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
iGunny40

Who makes a Good ak47?

I have been looking for a Good Ak47 and I can't decide, all I know Is I want a "Milspec" AKM.

I would like for It to be Milled, not stamped. I also want a chrome lined 16" hammer forged barrel In It.

I have a couple companies In mind like arsenal or black heart International, what are you're thoughts on these companies? If you were to Get an AKM from them, what model would you Get and why?
Old June 15, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Quentin2

I don't know if "milspec" should be applied here, these things are made from everything even a shovel blade!

Anyway, even the WASR 10 is a good AKM, just start researching the models and one will rise to the top for you. A lot of people like to convert the Saiga but of course it's a stamped receiver like most AKs.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
buffalo

Personally I think Milled AK's are a waste of money but if I was going to spend that much money on one i'd go with a Arsenal,i had one years back and it was a very nice rifle.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
FrosSsT

Arsenal Inc makes a good AK clone. I have a WASR 10/63 that hasnt given me any issues but compared to the Arsenal it doesn't seem to be built as well.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Aberration

Be careful with the 'Arsenal'. Many people selling Arsenals that are actually FIME. And while it is claimed that they use the same parts to convert them, I am suspecting the quality. Mine was unable to zero easily, I had to move the front site post all the way to the left to get it on at 100 yds.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
American Red Neck

saiga 762x39 is the best ak you can get. buy the rifle then convert and there you go..authentic russian ak
Old June 15, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Nathan

How are you defining good? IMO, there really aren't any good AK's. most are reliable, but accuracy is always bad by AR standards. They are hard to he optics on with a good mount.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
SF Mike

Agree with Natahn.

There are effective AKs that live up to their designed use.
Fairly rugged and dependable.
They can make you uncomfortable at a couple hundred yards.
That Factor increased with reduced distance.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:44 PM   #9
JHansenAK47

Quote:
I would like for It to be Milled
For a milled rifle i'd look for an Arsenal or chinese rifle.
Quote:
I would like for It to be Milled, not stamped.
Milled is extra weight IMO. The actions on milled guns are generally butter smooth but any accuracy gain is going to be minimal with no noticeable difference unless shot off sandbags. Honestly if I wanted bullet proof tough with a heavy chromelined barrel i'd be more inclined towards the VEPR series of rifles.
Quote:
Many people selling Arsenals that are actually FIME
I thought Arsenal more or less owned or controlled FIME group corporately.
http://www.fimegroup.com/About-Us/
http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/help.p...us&mode=update
They are both in las vegas nevada. Plus FIME group is using the SGL designation on their rifles just like Arsenal was.
Old June 15, 2013, 11:04 PM   #10
tahunua001

along those lines remington makes R15 and R25 AR style rifles and sells them at remington brand prices but in reality those are just DPMS panthers with different stamps on the side...

although a closer analogy would be people buying POS Umarex rimfires made out of pot metal because they have Colt stamped on them. be careful with namebrand purchases as sometimes even brands associated with quality may endorse models made by lower quality manufacturers with the intention of making a quick buck.
Old June 17, 2013, 10:21 AM   #11
spacecoast

My milled Lancaster shoots nice groups (iron sights, Tula steel cased ammo) as shown below but I believe the barrel is SS.

[/IMG]
Old June 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #12
spyderdude

I had a Polish Milled AK that was built by Century Arms. The milled AKs are nice and definitely solid in their construction. However the added weight of a milled receiver as opposed to stamped is unnecessary for most practical purposes. There is a reason Russia went back to using stamped receivers when they figured out how to properly assemble the rifles. The Saiga rifles built at Izhmash in Russia are said to be the ones to go with because well they're built where the AK was born and made on the same assembly line as Russia's military issue weapons. I don't think you can get anymore "mil-spec" than that. With that said, I really like my Arsenal SGL21 and is based on the AK-103. I got lucky and ended up buying one of the last ones to be converted by Arsenal before FIME Group took over production of the SGL series. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a FIME Group rifle either though.
Old June 17, 2013, 10:51 PM   #13
TXAZ

I've had a milled and stamped Norinco. Both were excellent. If you have the $s Polytech is reputedly top of the line.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 17, 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

I've owned a couple of nice milled Bulgarian AKs. Sold them years ago but kept my stamped Hungarian AK. A good quality stamped AK gives up nothing to a milled AK and saves a lot of weight.
Old June 18, 2013, 11:19 PM   #15
Yung.gunr

If you want a milled reciever because of it's perceived strength I would go with something like this. It seems to be the best of both worlds, lighter than milled, stronger than stamped. (Vepr, in case link goes bad)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

DISCAIMER: I've never shot or handled one.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:21 AM   #16
Aaron1100us

Re: Who makes a Good ak47?

I love my Arsenal SLR-101S. Even though its milled, it is not heavy by any means. Very solid and the parts fit together better than some others. Well worth the $$ IMO.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:56 AM   #17
Skarekrow88

Go with Arsenal, can't be beaten. I own an Arsenal Saiga SGL-20 (stamped receiver) 7.62x39mm. Had it since 2008, shot it a lot, and it performs just the way it did out of the box. I outshoot my buddy, who owns S&W M&P-15, at 100 yards all day long with my setup. He uses an Aimpoint red dot with 3x magnifier behind it while I use a 4x magnification POSP scope so I'd say thats pretty closely matched up.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
chrisp51

I have shot the Inter-ordanance (IO) AKM and it is a nice rifle. See if you can find a used Norinco (Chinese) in good shape.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:56 PM   #19
MC 1911

Arsenal is a top of the line AK and I've had several. For the money I would check out the M&M M-10. They come in several configurations for $600-$800 and are every bit as nice as the Arsenal IMO.

I sold my SGL 21 to get one & have no regrets!!
Old June 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #20
RC20

A stamped MAK90 is as good as they come, its the thickest AK out there and as the previous poser stated, can't tell the difference.

Accurate? All over the map, good ones can be poor and bad ones can be pretty decent. Reliable is the key with an AK and that can vary as well, but the well regarded ones are much better than the junk ones.

As for Mil Spec, there is no such thing for an AK.

The truly accurized AKs can be good shooters
Old June 22, 2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Venom1956

IO are not even on the same page as Arsenal.

Arsenal is probably the best non custom for the money. Then you get into the Krebs Custom territory.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 23, 2013, 12:35 PM   #22
Aberration

Quote:
I thought Arsenal more or less owned or controlled FIME group corporately.
http://www.fimegroup.com/About-Us/
http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/help.p...us&mode=update
They are both in las vegas nevada. Plus FIME group is using the SGL designation on their rifles just like Arsenal was.
More or less? All I can get out of them is that FIME is now handling the Saiga imports, and they have their own staff to do the conversions.

If I buy a Saiga and convert it myself, its pretty much an Arsenal. Hell if you pick up a rifle and put on some camo you are pretty much Infantry?

I have never heard of screwed up sights on an Arsenal before. Which is why I got it, too many WASR horror stories. Only to end up with one that barely gets on paper at 100 yds.

I bought the same line from the dealer when I picked it up. "Pretty much the same as Arsenal". I wouldn't make the purchase again, and I don't advise anyone else does either.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:43 PM   #23
JHansenAK47

Quote:
If I buy a Saiga and convert it myself, its pretty much an Arsenal.
The SGLs are in my opinion nothing more than higher end conversions. A lot the other conversions don't change out the handguards and don't change the frontsight/thread the muzzle. Besides the SGL series is more for people who want the rifle but don't want to do the conversion. I bought an Arsenal marked SGL21 and SGL31 because they were already converted.
Quote:
I have never heard of screwed up sights on an Arsenal before.
You should google the early SLR106 rifles. Mine is centered (almost perfectly center) but as I understand it mine was made after they figured out their sight machine was out of calibration and fixed it.
Quote:
All I can get out of them is that FIME is now handling the Saiga imports, and they have their own staff to do the conversions.
My arsenal marked SGL rifles look almost identical except for markings to the FIME group rifles. Same process at a different location perhaps. If it is indeed a different shop or just under new management (maybe retaining a hands off corporate control) I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems. What I would expect however is for them to streamline and for future production to have less problems.
Quote:
Which is why I got it, too many WASR horror stories.
WASR rifles are decent they just suffer from being economy rifles. The dollar has driven their production both to undercut the competition on price and make money on the same stroke.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:47 PM   #24
dvdcrr

I have owned close to 12 different and I prefer the Bulgarian Arsenals.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:20 PM   #25
Willie D

For clarity's sake: any Arsenals or Fime rifles marked "SGL" are converted Saigas, originally from Russia. It would be nice if people refered to these as Saiga rifles because that is what they are (with a few mods to make them USA legal once the get stateside).

The SLR, SAM, SAR, etc. are made by Arsenal Bulgaria. Again, Arsensal Nevada does some work when they get stateside but these are Bulgarian rifles, not Russian.
Closed Thread