The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Dis bad boy is nuts!!!

I got my new xl650 all setup ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340413349.745139.jpg
And I can't believe how insanely smooth this is. It's like butter compared to the loadmaster. I got the roller handle and think that that definitly adds a little smoothness to it But dang!! I just breathlessly loaded up about 200 rounds in probably 15 minutes. And at how good that felt compared to the loadmaster I'd have been happy with 100. A couple things i thought of during my first session:
1: has anyone ever made some attachment to the finished round chute and Hooked up some tubing or something to carry the finished shell to a bigger bucket or something?
2: has anyone ever modded the unused primer chute to allow more primers to occupy it? Perhaps a hole in the bottom of the chute with a tub attached to the underside?
3: what's the easiest way to get rid of the powder jerking on the indexing? I've used my hand to hold the shell to prevent the popping which worked but is rather not have to do that.

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 22, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Skadoosh

...either your house is underwater or you need to cut back on your smoking.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh View Post
It's my cell phone camera I'm pretty sure its all jacked up but there might be some smoke in there I had to dremel the desk a bit and that was smoking quite a bit

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 22, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.texas.dead.I
It's my cell phone camera I'm pretty sure its all jacked up but there might be some smoke in there I had to dremel the desk a bit and that was smoking quite a bit
Congratulations on your upgrade. It is always nice to hear "from the horse's mouth" from someone who can legitimately compare one press to another.

On the picture quality: It looks like flare to me. Shade your phone's camera lens from side-light shining on it. Maybe clean it, too. If cleaning and shading doesn't work, I suspect some lint of spider nest inside your phone or under the lens cover.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old June 22, 2012, 08:41 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
..either your house is underwater or you need to cut back on your smoking.
Whew......I thought it was just me.
Old June 22, 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
osageid

I am a xl650 user too! Love mine! I timed myself, did not feel like I was trying to hurry but was wanting see what rate I was capable of, I loaded 56 rounds in 3 min! Equates to 1120 rounds per hr!! Obviously I would not do that for an hour nor could I keep bullet tray and primers loaded! Btw I did measure and pull apart several rounds to check quality. All within spec! I am very satisfied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old June 22, 2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

1120? Good going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osageid
I am a xl650 user too! Love mine! I timed myself, did not feel like I was trying to hurry but was wanting see what rate I was capable of, I loaded 56 rounds in 3 min! Equates to 1120 rounds per hr!! Obviously I would not do that for an hour nor could I keep bullet tray and primers loaded! Btw I did measure and pull apart several rounds to check quality. All within spec! I am very satisfied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1120 would be the cyclic rate. The sustained rate would be taking into account replenishing all the components, quality checks, boxing and labeling, etc. Some people include case cleaning and even sweeping up the empties at the range. I don't count those as a differential factor, though. That's just me. And a lot of ther loaders. But you could. Whatever you want to do and however you want to evaluate your efficiency.

More power to you.

Lost Sheep
Old June 23, 2012, 12:10 AM   #8
ragwd

Even in the fog that 650 looks good, i want one. Also that puppy looks good too, is that a lab?
Old June 23, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragwd View Post
Even in the fog that 650 looks good, i want one. Also that puppy looks good too, is that a lab?
Haha ya she is. I was surprised at the quality of everything at first inspection. Everything is built like a tank. Even the primer flip tray weighs like 5 pounds

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 23, 2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Shootest

I have had mine for nearly 20 years now, great machine, couldn’t be more pleased with it.

Many people voted for the Obama to prove they were not prejudice , now IF they will just vote against him to prove they are not stupid.
Old June 23, 2012, 03:18 AM   #11
mumbo719

Cobgrats on your new 650 south.texas.dead.I.

You chose wisely.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

Loading rate

I decided to not time my self on my 650. The desire to set a new personal top speed could put me dangerously close to missing a step and making mistakes. Mistakes that could screw up a round, screw up the press, or screw up my gun.

Mistakes are not what I set out to make.

That said, crank 'em out as fast as you want. The 650 will do it.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Vance

Congratulations on the XL650. I went ahead and ordered the roller bearing and washers from McMaster-Carr. It does eliminate the indexing snap mostly. I still get a slight snap in 1 out of 5 indexings, but the other 4 times are smooth. You can get these roller bearing kits on E-Bay also. After McMaster-Carr added shipping and handling, it works out to the same price you can get the kit on E-Bay shipped.

If you cycle the press a few times with no components in it and watch the priming system, you will see how it works. There is a lever that gets depressed to advance the next primer. When I load com ponents in the press to get started, I cycle the press once to get the first case loaded into the shell plate, then I depress that primer advance lever 6 more times with my finger. When I cycle the press the next time there will be 2 cases in the shell plate, 1 ready to be sized and 1 that hase been sized and primed ready to be charged. Doing this, I rarely have a primer empty into that live primer catch arm.

I saw on you tube where someone modified the spent primer collection system where they attached a tube to the opening where the spent primer collection cup normally is and run the tube down to a garbage can.
Old June 23, 2012, 11:30 AM   #14
south.texas.dead.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post

I saw on you tube where someone modified the spent primer collection system where they attached a tube to the opening where the spent primer collection cup normally is and run the tube down to a garbage can.
I did this already, sent it behind the reloading bench into a liter sprite bottle.

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay
Old June 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
I was thinking of my unsanctified youth, and the photographic style of a certain men's magazine...
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "