The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2000, 07:44 PM   #1
LASur5r

I know the reaction is dependent on many variables, but I wanted to post this scenario (I get nightmares on this one from time to time.)

You're sitting at the counter with your 13 year daughter at a coffee shop. BG comes in at your 3 o'clock...at one glance you see this guy is loaded for bear...at least one semi-auto pistol in belt, one in hand and a rifle or shotgun in other hand. Your daughter is sitting to your left (9 o'clock.
My tendency is to grab her wrist and say quietly, "Let's go!" She has learned not to resist when I say go. and head away from the BG towards exit/cover, etc...at the same time draw weapon, hold at ready close to body and hope BG doesn't shoot me in the back?
BG hasn't begun shooting yet.
What kind of options do you folks have for me to put in my think cap?
Old August 30, 2000, 09:36 PM   #2
Zach Vonler

That's a tough one, since there's a small chance that the guy isn't dangerous, just unaware of laws, safety rules, etc. I know that's a stretch, but I think it's important to point out that someone just walking into a place with a gun in their hand may not actually be going to rob the place, they may simply be terminally stupid.

That said, there's no way in hell I'm going to turn my back on this guy. I think the proper response is to draw down on him, and if any of the weapons discharges or get pointed in your direction to drop him. Depending on the distance I might even sight in on the head to try and increase probability of an instant drop. Depending on the configuration of the counter, you may be able to use it for cover, and should take cover while drawing.

You made it a little easier than it had to be by placing the child on the opposite side already. If that were not the case then the first action should be to get her behind you.
Old August 31, 2000, 07:28 AM   #3
David Scott

A lot is situational. If he's smiling, acting relaxed and casual, wearing blaze orange and it's Wyoming during deer season, that's way different from if the guy is angry and drooling and acting aggressive in the middle of New York City.

Actually my first visual check would be to make sure he's not wearing a badge.