The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 15, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Pitts Spcl

SKS..Which One

I have a Russian that I bought in the mid 90's and I'm thinking of getting another SKS.

Which would be a better choice:

A Romanian or a Yugo 59/66?

I know about the chromed vs not chromed barrels.

The Romanian seems to be identical to the Russian.

Kind of leaning toward the Yugo. Don't ~need~ a grenade launcher but I like the extra features.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
MrNiceGuy

out of curiosity, why are you discounting a norinco?

the are arguably the best shooters, are available in a wide range of configurations, and are inexpensive
Old November 16, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Pitts Spcl

Hmm. Had not really thought about a Norinco. Most are not C&R eligible, right?
I've mostly been watching the online dealer's offerings and only the Romanian and Yugo models are available.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Wyngnut

I love my Yugo, grenade launcher and all, but some people don't like it. Bone stock, no exceptions.

Lemme edit my reply: If you don't like the grenade launcher, don't get the Yugo, beats taking a hacksaw to it IMO, that and the Yugo does not have a chrome-lined barrel, that might influence your decision.

Last edited by Wyngnut; November 16, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old November 17, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Mausermolt

i bought a m59/66 for about $170 6 months ago from a friend and i love it. i took off the grenade launcher and put a AR-15 flash suppressor on. kind of pointless because they have no flash to begin with but it looks cool . for the money and the looks i would buy a romanian but i prety much stole my yugo so if you can find one for cheep eather are verry well built rifles.
Old November 18, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Lead Slinger

I have a Yugo and I love it. I like the looks of it over the others. Some say the Yugo's are more accurate due to having a longer barrel and the barrel not being chrome lined. Others will say they see no difference between the different models. The Yugo's are more available at the moment. You will pay more for the others.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Correct, the majority were newly manufactured for U.S. commercial sale. Norinco also marketed SKS variants that never existed in true military form (the ones with folding stocks and detachable mags).
Quote:
I've mostly been watching the online dealer's offerings and only the Romanian and Yugo models are available.
Like any milsurp, this is because that's what the importers have brought in recently. Check gun shows and dealers who specialize in surplus. Norincos are not hard to find because so many were sold. Russian and other genuine milsurp SKS variants regularly show up in my area.
Old November 18, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Tom2

Yugos are alot more common than the Romanians, I think. Therefore more chance to gain in value even if you toss it in the closet and forget to shoot it. I am sure you have noticed your Russian value go up. Yugos tend to have problems with the gas valves etc. that don't occur in others, sometimes have damage to the unplated bores from yugo corrosive ammo and are fine shooters if the problems don't occur in a given specimen. But they do have that heavy useless extra crap on the end of the barrel to contend with. More work to remove than the useless bayonets. Of course you save the stuff you take off to maintain resale? Chinese examples vary from excellent quality older specimens to rough looking late commercial imports from secondary makers. They can and do shoot fine though. Just some rough version of the Chinese may not increase in value much but would be fine to keep in a truck or something.
Old November 18, 2008, 06:28 PM   #9
BLUEZ4U

A++++ for the Norinco - chrome lined barrel.

Mine has a fantastic blueing job. (if that's the correct spelling..lol)
North American Arms
Old November 18, 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
BLUEZ4U

check out the SKS site.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
North American Arms
Old November 18, 2008, 06:37 PM   #11
jdc1244

Quote:
I have a Russian that I bought in the mid 90's and I'm thinking of getting another SKS.
I have a Russian and Yugo – they go together well. My Yugo’s been flawless.

Quote:
I know about the chromed vs not chromed barrels.
Then you know it’s not an issue; get the Yugo, you’ll love it.
Old November 19, 2008, 02:04 AM   #12
Ricklin

Love the SKS

I've had three over the years, 2 ruskies, and a Norinco. I think I'm gonna do the T-6 Tapco stock on the Norinco, and a thirty rounder. Still have one of my Ruskies, paid 89 bucks for it, back in the not so long ago day. Wish I had of put 20 in the safe that day, even back then 89 was a great price.

Can't beat a SKS for slingin cheap lead down range. The penetration of those old steel core rounds was amazing. And if you found a spent bullet, it looked reloadable

Been buying and trading SKS's since they first first became generally available, always been a fun little rifle.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:40 PM   #13
spanishmauser51

sks

russian or yugo. yugo made em the strongest. no way to a norinco. just a cheap copy. i dont care how shiny it is.
Old November 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #14
chromedome82

go yugo

I currently own 3 yugos 2 are stock 1 with tapco t-6 furniture and compliance set.... love em to death ..
Old December 13, 2008, 03:41 PM   #15
gustav129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts Spcl

Thanks for the suggestion though.
I know it's an older thread, but there are no Chinese SKS that are C&R eligible.

I use my Norinco as my plinker/future bubba. I'm looking at getting a Yugo, and just putting it in the display case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad
The BATFE has responded to my request for information relative to the C&R status of the Chinese SKS. The bottom line is that there is no PROOF that any given rifle is over 50 years old, basically because the Chinese government has not released production data.

I'm considering writing to the Chinese Embassy in Washington to see if they will release the numbers. Since they are no longer manufacturing them it would seem to be in their best interests to make it easier for Americans to deal in them and it would kind of be a gentle nudge to the Bush Administration to encourage the BATFE to declare ALL the Chinese SKS's C&R.

Letters below. The action is pretty much all they can do unless Bush indicates that he is amiable to the BATFE declaring all of them C&R.

[Sorry for the miserable copies. I'll try to improve them.]

Old December 19, 2008, 03:08 AM   #16
yosemitesamaz

i have a yugo and would never own a norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems. i like it the way it is i took the stock of sanded it a bit bleached it,stained it then sealed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132.JPG (36.5 KB, 46 views)
Old December 19, 2008, 12:35 PM   #17
pesta2

Quote:
norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems.
I have had mine since the late 80's and not one single problem. Best part about the Noricos, don’t have the god-awful grenade lunch on them. Best part about the Norinco, they don’t have the grenade launcher.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:14 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Go with the Norinco SKS-M if you abandon the C&R route. Takes double stack AK mags. $4-500 though. Mine is amazing.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:19 PM   #19
ISC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitesamaz
i have a yugo and would never own a norinco i have friens that have them and noyhing but problems. i like it the way it is i took the stock of sanded it a bit bleached it,stained it then sealed it.
i dont believe you i think you dont know what ur talking about and have never shot a norinco or even seen of one shot by someone that had problems with it cuz they are great rifles and shoot reel good but the yugos are notorious for problems with their gas systems and even if you keep it clean to protect the bore there is no way you can know if the guy that had it before you ever cleaned it or how much it was shot by some guy with no time or inclination to perform maintenence and besides all yugo ammo is highly corrosive and has always been corrosive which means that ur sure to have corrosion problems if you shoot yugo ammo in a yugo rifle and dont do a detailed cleaning with a water based solvent.

Yes, I am making fun of you. Here is some extra punctuation and capital letters for you to use in your next post:

I I I I I I I I,,,.,.,,.;(),.

Here's a translation:
I dont believe you. I think you don't know what you are talking about and have never shot a Norinco or even seen of one shot by someone that had such severe problems with it; they are great rifles and shoot great.

Yugos are notorious for problems with their gas systems. Even if YOU keep it clean to protect the bore, there is no way you can know if the guy that had it before you ever cleaned it or how much it was shot by some guy with no time or inclination to perform maintenence. Besides, all yugo ammo is highly corrosive and has always been corrosive.

This means that you are sure to have corrosion problems if you shoot yugo ammo in a yugo rifle and don't do a detailed cleaning with a water based solvent.

Last edited by ISC; December 19, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:39 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

[ed.] ISCs post was so hard to read I did not finish it the first time through, noticed he was making the same point as I, so I deleted mine. I really dislike posts so poorly written I have to concentrate and re-read to understand.
I have a Norinco that shoots really well. I have never heard complaints about any Norinco gun that exceed the norm for any manufacturer or model. Mistakes do happen. They are relatively inexpensive and a lot of fun. The only place my Norinco is not on par with my Yugo is it's stock. I think the domestic manufacturers supporting the import bans is one of the times they sold us out and just crapped in our face. The Yugo stock is much better looking.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 19, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 06:45 PM   #21
yosemitesamaz

isc thank for your opinion as i was just giving mine. but as i said before "I" dont care for norincos nor do any of the people i shoot with. and belive what you want to belive. i know what weapons i have been around . and from "MY" experiance with norinco have not at all been worth while!
Old December 20, 2008, 08:07 PM   #22
Ricklin

Best beater there is!!

In season my Norinco is our 'shark gun' on the boat. We have a weapons rack right above the galley table on the overhead. It survives and thrives in that environment. Whoever mentioned the first rate bluing is correct, mine has a few bad spots, I do a through clean and detail strip, scrub her down with steel wool, touch up blue and good to go. Once a year if it needs it or not. One of the few guns I'm comfortable having on a salt water boat. It's fifth season on the boat will be 09. That is one hell of a testament to the ruggedness of these weapons. Years ago we used to buy throw away .22s, they rarely made it for more than a season or two, and then over the side they go.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:12 PM   #23
RedneckFur

My norinco is built like a brick outhouse and is reliable as a swiss watch. I've owned it for about 15 years and in that time had one stovepipe, no FTE's, no FTF's and no problems at all with any part of the rifle.
Old December 21, 2008, 03:14 AM   #24
Old Jimmy

I have 2 Norinco's and 2 Russians and my Norinco's will shoot clay birds laying on the backstop at 100 yards all day long
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 001.jpg (241.8 KB, 48 views)
Old December 29, 2008, 03:28 PM   #25
clanger

Norinco: An SKS is not a 'Norinco', per se. Norinco was/is an importer. They stamped all kinds of SKS's post ban. Pre and post '66, type-D's, etc.

Chinese Type 56: I could write a book on types, factories, vairants and so on. What do you want to know? Most valuble to collectors? The lousiest one ever made- the all Stamped model (Type 63). Very rare, even more rare than the Sino/Soviet. Find a Stamped or Sino and you gotta keeper. Same with Russian/Chineese Gaurd and so on.... Chromed bore means doodly-squat. nice to look at...good luck proving it helps. Can even be a hinderance if it flakes!

Yugo: M-59, or M-59/66. These were very well made, heavy-lugged, threaded barrel, milled reciever. Good luck dating one w/o a log. Some were recond at the factory and had log books. Those are very collecable. The Yugo qualifies for C/R as they are impossible to date. The /66 is considered a Destructive Device in Ca. and must be registered.

Russians: Tula or Ish?

Romo: eh- heard good and bad, uber rare.....but collectable if 'unfired'. Good luck with that.

Blah, blah, blah..... wanna know about SKS's?
Slamfire's: Remove the bolt, tear it down, clean and reintsall DRY. NEVER, EVER OIL AN SKS BOLT OR PIN. EVER.
Otherwise, if you don't know the diff, buy one and enjoy the cheap ammo and good shootin'.
It aint match grade, aint supposed to be, but it does exactly what it's supposed to.

Here's my Yugo. I love this gun and am very careful with it- it's in just the right state of patina.....we call her 'Ugly Betty'.

Yugo M-59, as issued, unreconditioned, 100% all there and matching numbers- complete with corroded and pitted dark bore, checked piston and all that goes with. I see some snickers and sneers when I pull her outta the bag, untill.....she clang's the 16" gongs' off-hand at Angeles Ranges at 200y, 300y, and 400y (RM shooting at 400y, my eye's suck now).