The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
roc1

Reloading when is it no longer worth it

I am a very avid reloader,but have come to conclusion that maybe some calibers are not worth it.I no longer load 9mm for example as you only save maybe a $1 a box not worth the effort anymore.I was curious what most of you would call a good cutoff point as far as money savings go?I think the 40 S&W is getting close to that pont as you can only save about $3 bucks or so if you load plated bullets compared to target ammo.I was wanting some input on cost savings what most of you think is the dollar cutoff point?I know you can load better ammo than you can buy but I am mainly talking about good target loads not hunting loads.Rifle is a total different story.
Thanks for input
roc1
Old January 7, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
cheygriz

Well, let's see. I save about $60 per thousand loading 9MM on my Dillon 650. Since loading a thousand takes me about 2 hours, that's $30 per hour. I think I'll keep on reloading!

The savings get even bigger on things like .30-30 and .30-06. Of course, it takes me about 2 1/2 hours per thousand to load these.
Old January 7, 2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

roc1,
I see your viewpoint, especially on 9mm. However, my stand is I can pick what powder burns cleanest. Only one of many reasons I still reload. I've been able to reload for roughly $3.65/box. Seeing that 9mm around here is about $10 for WWB, and I go through about 300rds. per trip to the range. It really adds up for me to reload. To be honest, I can't answer your question directly. If the price is the same, I'd still reload. It's just too much fun to calculate and experiment, even with 9mm. With the possible rise in future ammo prices, I'm going to buy materials in bulk again to help offset costs. Stay with it.

As far as cost savings:
1. MidwayUSA has decent prices on once fired brass. That saves quite a bit there.
2. Buy in bulk, if you can afford.
3. Ask your shooting buddies if you can keep their brass.

I'm sure you've exhausted these avenues, but I'd still suggest these just in case.

Hope this helps a little.
Old January 7, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Windwalker

Relaxation

Roc1,

If your time is worth $ I'd stop when your savings are only a couple dollars a box, you already have the equipment. I've been reloading all my life (and I'm old.) For me reloading is more for soothing the savage beast than anything else. I'm in a high stress job and if I only broke even I'd still reload for the calming effect.

A room off by itself, locked door, little bit of C&W music, a pot of coffee, soft barstool and a press handle in my hand. Gawd, fly me to heaven.

WW,
Old January 7, 2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

+1! Except give me a couple of Cokes!
Old January 7, 2007, 06:45 PM   #6
roc1

Thanks for input guys i load and shoot for the fun of it but when you can buy ammo at Academy for only .30cents over my cost and they work fine I figure why not spend my time on other calibers and more time at the range.I have a progressive machine also in fact two of them so time is not really a factor but like I sadi I load multiple calibers and it seems my time would be better spent on the ones I save the most on.Example mag handguns and rifle.I have been loading since I was a kid and do really enjoy it but as with everyone I have a lot of irons in the fire.
Thanks again for replies
roc1
Old January 7, 2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Windwalker

Ah, I believe I see what you were trying to say, I'm good at mis-read between the lines. As long as your still going to be in the reloading room and save a little time for other reloads your headed in a good direction.

May I suggest that before you put the dies away you stock up on a few bullets, primers, etc for the particular round that your going to start buying off the shelf. You just never know when the budget might be a little tight and you'll need to dust off the dies.

Starting to ramble, take care, WW
Old January 7, 2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Dave R

Roc1, you make sense, from a purely economic standpoint. Its just that its not always about economics.
Old January 7, 2007, 08:43 PM   #9
JJB2

i like to relax at my reloading bench too... it really is a great hobby.....

LIFE IS SHORT.........
Old January 7, 2007, 09:29 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Reloading isn't about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo in your firearms.
Using factory ammo for target shooting is like buying a suit off the rack. It sort of fits, but isn't anything like the fit of a suit made by a tailor.
Old January 7, 2007, 10:13 PM   #11
roc1

I agree with everyone,reloading is a great hobby and my loads are better than factory.The other side is when the economics does not wash. Then to me with target handgun loads ,cheap factory loads seem to be a good choice.
I like to shoot a lot but I need the time to load more of the high price stuff like mag revolvers and rifle.The 45 acp is well worth loading still.My equipment has payed for itself many times.This mainly applies to 9mm,but was curious if any of you looked at the economics or it does not matter ?
Thanks for your comments they are all good points
roc1
Old January 7, 2007, 11:43 PM   #12
CrustyFN

Wow if you can buy 9mm for $7 per 100 I guess I would buy some. The cheapest I have seen 9mm for is $14 per 100 ( WWB ) and I can reload it for just under $7 per 100 That's 50% savings for me so I will continue to reload. My IDPA and GSSF gun is 9mm so I shoot a lot of it.
Rusty