The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 28, 2002, 02:23 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

removing the extractor on the glock

A couple weeks ago I was shooting in an IDPA match when my Glock jammed on Wolf ammo. The rangemaster ended up having to remove the extractor on my Glock 22 to free the barrel from the slide so that the stuck casing could be knocked out of the chamber. Now my Glock is giving me a lot of trouble with extractions. I remember when he took it down he said that there was a buffer on the extractor spring that was not there, whether it came off when he dissassembled the pistol, or was never there we were unable to determine. I figure I should probably put this buffer back on in any event, my question is first how do you remove the plastic cap from the end of the slide and two where's a good source for this so called buffer? Thanks.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old May 28, 2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Rocklobster

First, you remove the slide. At the rear of the slide, you'll find the part of the striker that projects downwards(little square doodad). Just forward of that, you stick a small screwdriver or punch into the slot, and push the striker sleeve forward. Now you can slide the endpiece(cap on the back of the slide) downward. BE CAREFUL. The striker spring will always aim the striker towards your eye, no matter where you hold it. Keep your finger over the back of the slide as you're doing this. Once you have the striker, its sleeve, and spring out, you can remove the extractor spring and plunger assembly rearward(it'll be on the upper right-hand side of the slide). On the underside of the slide, right next to the extractor,you'll find the firing-pin lock(little round button-looking hickey). Press it in, then you can remove the extractor. Be careful-the firing-pin lock may fall out-just pull it out with its spring. that's all there is to it, guy-as far as a buffer-I dunno what the guy was talking about.

Your problem may be another one of those Wolf-ammo-related incidents. Wolf ammo has a laquer coating on its case, and if you shoot a bunch of rounds and heat your gun up, it has a tendency to rub off and stick to the chamber, causing a gummy buildup that causes feeding/extraction problems. First, look at you extractor real carefully, make sure its not bent, broken, spindled, folded, or mutilated. Make sure its spring and plunger are are springing and plunging freely. If they're OK, try cleaning the chamber real well with a good solvent.

Hope that solves your problem, good luck!
Old May 29, 2002, 04:31 PM   #3
Jeff, CA

Instructions with pictures (and parts) can be found at www.glockmeister.com.

Click on the links "free tech info", then "complete slide disassembly".

Old May 29, 2002, 08:38 PM   #4
johnwill

It's actually very easy to totally disassemble the Glock slide, once you take the rear plate off, the rest of the parts, kinda' fall off.
Old May 30, 2002, 09:44 AM   #5
Alex Johnson

I took a look at the link, it looks like I'm missing the spring loaded bearing for the extractor spring, anybody know where I can get one of these?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old May 31, 2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Rocklobster

Guess my disassembly explanation was a little difficult for a novice, especially without pictures to illustrate each step. You're probably gonna be out of luck unless you contact Glock. Being in Georgia, they're right up the road from me. (770) 432-1202.
Old June 1, 2002, 10:37 PM   #7
Tupperware

Alex,
A source for this part is the same one that provided the free info that enabled you to confirm that yours was missing.
www.glockmeister.com
Old June 6, 2002, 03:04 PM   #8
the duck of death

I lost the darn thing too. Made another one with a Dremel and the handle of a toothbrush. I later found it but they have a tendency to pop off.