The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 9, 2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Huh12345

Gun storage question

Hi.

This summer I am going to be working in Texas for 8 weeks and I would like to bring a .22 handgun and a .308 rifle and I'm not sure how I should store them. One thought I had was get a big lockable crate and throw some foam padding in it and then get a little dehumidifier in it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:44 AM   #2
cecILL

Eight weeks? Lockable hardcase would hold both. Keep them oiled.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Don P

^^^^^ What he suggests and skip the foam padding. It tends to hold moisture and helps creating rust
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Huh12345

You don't think that keeping them in a hard case would lead to moisture build up and cause rust ?
Old May 10, 2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Huh12345

What would your Thoughts be on this solution. Keep them in silicon treated cases and keep some silica gel packs with them to pick up moisture?
Old May 10, 2017, 09:01 AM   #6
FITASC

Still need to wipe them down on occasion. You ARE going to be shooting these while there, correct? Clean and wipe them down and you should be good to go.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 10, 2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Huh12345

Yes, I plan on shooting them regularly while I'm there. I will be going between two locations, one of which I can shoot at regularly and the other I would like to have a good storage option.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:13 PM   #8
KyJim

Security aside, use silicone-treated gun socks and, if you like, throw a couple of silica packs in the gun sock as well. I live in the Ohio Valley where it gets pretty humid in the summer. I've stored blued guns like this (without the silica packs) for months without touching them with no problem. You just have to very lightly run apply oil (Breakfree CLP is great) on the metal surfaces and wipe off the exterior. There's still a film on the gun. Also, wipe with a cotton cloth if you handle it because your hands will have moisture.

Last edited by KyJim; May 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:30 PM   #9
Huh12345

I was thinking of storing in a small lock box with a gun sock and done silica packs. I'm still not certain what to do about the rifle. From what I understand storing guns in cases is risky because they accumulate moisture and I really can't stand the thought of any of my firearms rusting.
Old May 11, 2017, 01:38 AM   #10
Dufus

I haven't a rust problem and I have lived here a number of years.

I have kept them in closets, attics, between mattresses, and even under the seat of the truck. Oh yeah, I also have 2 safes.
Old May 11, 2017, 06:11 AM   #11
Texas45

40 yrs in SanAntonio.
Guns stored "normally" as in a safe and no excessive moisture control or dehumidifier and NO RUST ON GUNS EVER.

We get hot and humid yes but come on man 8 weeks.
Really just bring um and keep um secure.
If they are well cared for currently you wont have any issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 13, 2017, 07:43 AM   #12
redlightrich

Hello Huh, my best advice is use a secure case, and either oil them or buy a silicone cloth and wipe them down. Leave the oil or silicone on the gun when placing back in the case.

I am not sure about Texas humidity ( it sure gets warm there) but the above advice works for me in NJ, which is about as humid as the tropical rain forest, with no ill effects.
I think care is the best way to keep them good. People who develop issues usually have left their arms ignored for an extended period. 2 months isn't very long if proper care is used. I have had guns that weren't shot for years, but lubed and aired out every once in a while and they did well.

Follow the advice above and you have no worries.

Good Luck on your trip

Rich