The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2016, 02:39 PM   #1
condor bravo

Web source for cast bullet rifle loading data

While loading data is plentiful for cast bullet handgun calibers reloading, the same cannot be said for cast bullet rifle loading. The best manual source has to be the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. A good on-line source for cast bullet rifle loading data, as well as handgun data, turns out to be www.castpics.net. It seems to have some rifle data that the Lyman handbook is lacking, the .264 Winchester magnum as an example. Registration with name, username and password is required and a confirming email is sent to complete the registration. Information and loading data is abundant but working your way to the loading data is initially a bit tricky. However you can find the loading data without registering by googling 'cast bullet rifle loading data'.
Old April 3, 2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Salmoneye

For a number of reduced cast loads for rifle, try this:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Old April 4, 2016, 11:29 AM   #3
condor bravo

Follow up to initial posting.
www.castpics.net is a potentially good source, especially for cast lead bullet rifle loading data, but for now full site access via registration should probably be avoided since it is not ready for prime time. Even when you know how to access the loading data it is next to impossible to get there, at least on my device. The staff admits to bugs in the new site, requests that they be reported, but provides no means for doing so. However all is not lost. The loading data, which of course is the main feature, can be accessed directly.

Google something like "cast bullet rifle loading data" and one selection should be www.castpics.net/project2 that will/should lead directly to the loading data. Once there it is fairly straight forward to navigate through the loading data. Or, just access the data through the previous link.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old April 4, 2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Ozzieman

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/867...h-edition-book

I got tired of trying to get cast bullet data for rifles on line and gave up.
I felt the quality and the lack of multiple powders made it difficult.
Do your self a favor and get a Lyman cast bullet handbook.
Best lead load data book on the market.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 4, 2016, 06:46 PM   #5
condor bravo

To ozzieman:
I do have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook but give www.castpics.net/project2 a chance. No doubt much better than other on-line cast rifle bullet sources. It can serve as a supplement to the Lyman. As mentioned in the opening post, it shows .264 Winchester mag data that is missing from the Lyman and there could be others.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 4, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old April 8, 2016, 09:04 AM   #6
condor bravo

Thread is being brought to the top of the list one time only since it has been getting some viewing interest but due to its informational content does not generate many replies. While the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook remains the primary source for cast bullet rifle loads, www.castpics.net/project2 is a good supplementary source. It does contain data that is lacking in the Lyman, the .22 Savage Hi-Power as another example.
Old April 8, 2016, 11:33 AM   #7
mikld

I have never needed any data that was not included in one of Lyman's manuals so I ain't no help there. I am a member of Castboolits.com and perhaps that's the reason I went directly to ://www.castpics.net/and into the load data section with no problems...
Old April 8, 2016, 12:42 PM   #8
condor bravo

I attempted to check out castboolits.com for additional data it might offer but the site is now up for sale and data apparently no longer available.
Old April 8, 2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Salmoneye

You mean CastBoolits.Gunloads.Com?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Old April 8, 2016, 04:59 PM   #10
condor bravo

Yes, that is apparently what was meant. Checked it out and it has an abundance of information.
Old April 9, 2016, 11:05 AM   #11
mikld

I visit Castboolits.com daily. Info on just about anything one would ever need about casting lead bullets is there; casting, alloying, sizing, coating, lubing, loading, and shooting cast bullets. Several firearm sub-forums and sub-forums dedicated to just powders. Over 40,000 members and normally over 500 visits daily.

I've gotten quite an education on casting my own bullets in the few years I've been a member...
Old April 9, 2016, 11:20 AM   #12
condor bravo

mikld
I think you are referring to www.castboolits.gunloads.com. I agree there is a multitude of information there. I have looked it over. But I don't think it has loading data listings which is what I am advocating for www.castpics.net/project2.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old April 10, 2016, 10:40 AM   #13
mikld

C.B. I'd go to the "Cast Boolits" sub-forum and ask. I'll bet someone there has tried cast bullets in a 264 Win. Magnum...
Old April 10, 2016, 11:19 AM   #14
condor bravo

I'm now getting good results with the .264 Winchester and 140 gr RCBS cast bullet with around 21 gr 4227 powder. Was previously loading max loads of Trail Boss but was not getting sufficient velocity to stabalize. Then around 25 gr of 4227 sent the shots into orbit but by cutting back to mid and lower loadings of 4227, results settled in. Same to be said with the same 140 gr RCBS and 6.5 mm Rem mag and 6.5x55 Swede calibers, good results with mid to low charges of 4227. Higher charges all produced poor results. All firing done with Remington 700 rifles. I don't use a chrono so cannot attest to velocities. Interesting with these 6.5 calibers, jacketed bullets up to 160 gr are great with reduced loads but 160s seem to be out of the question with cast bullets, just will not stabilize with loads that have been tried. Thanks for the interest.