The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Skans

Do any of you ever post on the "antis" forums?

If so, where do you post and what do you typically encounter. I would assume that for the most part its an utter waste of time, but has anyone had any marginal degree of success?
Old January 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

I have on facebook pages. I was not rude, just presented facts figures and rebutals tovthings that were said. I was blocked and my comments were deleated.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
SPEMack618

Yeah, I tried on Twitter and was both personally insulted and then blocked.

On another, more general form I use to frequent there was a gun control thread that every post of mine, with the exception of one was deleted and I was then issued a warning for "trolling".

I stuck to discussing the Falcons after that.

not worth the time. Winning an argument with someone on the internet is sort of like peeing yourself in a dark suit, it feel goods and warm, but no ones notices or cares.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Skans

I find that when I attempt to post or respond, not being rude, my comments just get deleted. Interestingly, I think these "forums" have a common method of operation to simply delete and block anything that does presents an opposing view to their agenda. In fact, I'd go so far as to say this is written down in a "play book" somewhere.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:22 AM   #5
SPEMack618

In talking with online anti-gunners, I have never seen such an overzealous, nearly automatic use of Reductio ad absurdum in normal conversation.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Remember, these folks operate off of emotion, not facts. they do not believe in the 2A, nor the 1A - only if their view is the only one allowed to be presented - just like college campuses. They have had total control over school and college campuses since LBJ's Great Society in the 60s - their brainwashing is complete as evidenced by the last two elections - not just POTUS, but the Senate and House as well
Old January 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #7
TheNocturnus

I frequent a gaming forum and a lot of the people there are anti-gun. Every time there is a new mass shooting they always start a new thread for it and proceed to bash gun owners. I go in and post reasonable facts and ideals and usually get called a psycho gun freak or some other such nonsense.

It's like talking to a brick wall. A stupid, uneducated brick wall.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 24, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
kilimanjaro

It is a brick wall. They've been indoctrinated, and can now accept no other philosophy but the one they profess. It makes their head hurt to actually hear or see anything they don't believe in. All we can do is refuse to be silenced and hope they will come to their senses one day.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #9
ChrisJ715

No, it seems pointless
Old January 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
2ndsojourn

They're beyond help. They drank the Kool-Aid.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:04 PM   #11
JWT

It is such an emotional issue to anti gunners, and many are just plain terrified of guns, that trying to sway them is a waste of time and energy. I have in laws that cannot understand why anyone would want a gun. I find people from large metro areas tend to be anti gun because in many cases they've never been around guns or known anyone who is a shooter. Hard to convince such people.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:26 PM   #12
NickySantoro

Do any of you ever post on the "antis" forums?

No. You can explain all the nuances of Macbeth to the family dog and it will sit there and appear to be listening intently, but when you are done all it will respond with is "woof". It's a dog and that's what they do. An anti/libtard is much the same.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Woody55

I have, but it's a lot like posting gun control suggestions on this site. No one is going to listen, and no one is going to change their minds.

If you want to do something productive, I'd post on neutral sites.

And if you don't have the time or energy, I'd join the NRA. You may not love them, but they give the impression that they control 4 million or so votes. The more votes they appear to control, the more influence they have.

And I would whip out your credit card and donate some money to the NRA-ILA or a similary advocacy group. They take the votes and use your money to take the fight the the office of your Congress critter.

Stop whining and do something.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:04 PM   #14
BikeNGun1974

Unfortunately, when either side of an issue wants to yell insults and threats instead of actually talking about facts and ideas, it never goes well.

Gun control, gay marriage, abortion, financial policy, foreign policy... take your pick.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
lcpiper

Quote:
I have, but it's a lot like posting gun control suggestions on this site. No one is going to listen, and no one is going to change their minds.

Actually I think many of us would listen.

But not if they come here deceitfully.
Not if they come here ignorant and unwilling to listen and learn.

If you show up at my doorstep with a lie on your lips I'll send you packing because you only need lies to support deceitful actions.

Let one come here asking for help. Let one show up with an honest debate on whether the 2nd Amendment is still necessary to the protection of our freedom and demonstrating honest reasons why it is not.

I'll make the time to listen.

Anyone seen that happen ever?

EDITED: By the way ... Just why is it all servicemen swear an oath to protect the Constitution of the United States?

Is it because it really does need protecting?
Old January 24, 2013, 04:46 PM   #16
doofus47

I've tried to post comment rebuttals in the local news paper. Although I quote facts and statistics and avoid the personal silliness, my comments seem to never pass the moderator's close watch.

Maybe i'll just start typing in ALL CAPS like I'm angry to disguise my logically constructed arguments...
Old January 24, 2013, 04:49 PM   #17
RockyMtnTactical

No. You are not going to convince them. We need to spend our time with our friends, neighbors, family members, etc... they can be convinced to come to the side of truth. Bashing it out on a board is a waste of time for everyone. I have gotten into it with random idiots in various places online (never the anti forums though) and it is not worth the time.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

We really don't do forum wars, so before someone suggests a link and then it comes back and hits us - I'm closing this.

Feel free to go wherever and say whatever, though.

Closed.