The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Mindful

Armi Sport Spencer Carbine in .45 long colt

Hurray! Just a good gunsmith and it now even cycles Black Hills! You don't even have to act like your trying to rip the lever off either!

It was just as simple as sharpening the 'hook' of the ejector and putting a little better spring under it! Now it cycles easily every time and you don't even have to worry. Beautiful Carbine too! Accurate, and I even had the trigger polished so it's not as hard and 10 lbs as before. It's so nice to shoot cheap ammo through it too. Heck, I don't want to really kill any animal but if I could be asked to shoot a couple of wild hogs I'd be willing!

Too bad America doesn't have Zombies... it would be so nice to take out our frustrations on Zombies so you wouldn't feel guilty eh?

Anyway, a real +++++ for the Armi Sport Spencer in .45 Long colt! just a few simple things that you'd probably have done anyway and what a neat carbine!

Thanks everyone, and it's just a few simple things. Joe was already going to have Chiappa send me a return postage but I just called him and gave him the news! Legendary Guns had a great deal on it too! Now I'll take my original to my gunsmith and have the centerfire block put on with the recessed magazine follower too. Can't wait!

Richard
Old September 26, 2012, 01:20 PM   #27
Mindful

Armi Sport Spencer .45 Long Colt

Hi everyone again,

O.K. my gunsmith fixed the failure to cycle the spencer. That's done. Next, I noticed that the barrel actually moves in the frame! Can you guys believe this?

Who on earth is responsible for fixing the barrel to the frame, huh? I had to drop it by my gunsmith again and probably the only thing to do is to unscrew it and add locktite or something!

The only thing I can think of is they had their rifling set to the wrong caliber for the rifle and it just kinda sits in there?

I'll let you know the latest when he calls me and tells me. It's a neat rifle, carbine... but I have no idea how they managed to import these things to the main places like Cimarron.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Richard
Old September 26, 2012, 03:39 PM   #28
Jbar4Ranch

HA! Yeah, my barrel came loose during a match too - I unscrewed it when I got home, cleaned the threads, applied blue Loctite, screwed it back in, and it's been fine ever since.

SASS 47015
Old October 7, 2012, 10:56 PM   #29
Mindful

Armi Sport Spencer 45 long colt for sale on gunbroker.com

Hi everyone,
Well, it's a great gun, had almost a box of ammo through it, solved all the problems with the cycling and barrel and I want one in 56/50 so it's for sale on gunbroker with the reciept from Legendary guns!

If you want one in 45 long colt check it out. The reserve is 1000.00 and it's new! got all the paperwork and everything so i thought I'd at least let y'all know. Most of you want what I decided on in 56/50 but if you want a better deal on one in 45 long colt you've got a chance.

Richard

Just get on gunbroker.com and look up Spencer and you'll see the carbine and the box and papers.
Old May 21, 2022, 03:23 PM   #30
Mindful

Another .45 colt Spencer!!!

Can you even believe that I was looking for the reason the Spencer I got two days ago wouldn't eject in the internet and came upon my own posting from 2012 on the exact same thing!!!!! this is like almost surreal!

It's the same... Don't buy a .45 long colt or anything besides a 56/50 for the cimarron/chiappa Spencer because the .45 colt I have doesn't even come close to ejecting at all!!!!!

Richard
Old May 22, 2022, 07:21 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Can you fire .45 Schofield through it?

Shorter case, but larger rim.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 23, 2022, 07:40 AM   #32
Polinese

I watched a video on youtube one time, I think he was a civil war re-enactor, but he basically said with the 45 colt spencer you had to tip the muzzle up when ejecting and tip it down when loading to assist the cartridge for reliable feeding.

Apologies if that got covered somewhere else in the thread.
Old June 13, 2022, 11:13 AM   #33
vtchopperdude

I just purchased an Armi Sport (Chiappa) Spencer carbine a few weeks back. After reading reviews, I had my reservations about buying one, but ultimately decided to get one. They are just too cool!!!

I took it out to the range and put about 30 rounds of .45 Colt through it, no problem! All these people talk about ejection issues. It's called operator error. If you don't work the lever with deliberate force, it will not eject properly, no matter the cartridge. Anyways, not going to argue with people over that one. Continuing my story. After about 30 rounds, the rifle would not fire. It would cycle, and eject rounds, but not fire. I noticed the unfired ejected rounds had a primer strike, but very light. When I dissembled it, I found the percussion plate to be loose. The percussion plate holds the firing pin pusher, and if that comes loose, then the fire pin kinda wobbles around in the housing. I tightened the screws up, and now she runs 100% again. People who don't have any ability to diagnose a problem shouldn't be making comments about the quality of firearms. Literally, I had an issue. I investigated it and found the problem. A screw was loose.

Also, .45 Colt is super fun to shoot in the rifle! And it's way more cost effective than .56-50 rounds.

Also, if you're getting ate up about the .45 Colt not being "historically accurate" then you need to find another hobby than firearms. You should be getting firearms to enjoy, not simply to brag to others about how you have "an original caliber" or whatever.

Long story short, the Spencer replica from Chiappa is pretty sweet!
Old June 13, 2022, 11:15 AM   #34
vtchopperdude

Here's a video I took a couple days ago. Smooth and deliberate cycling of the lever is the key to proper ejections. A couple drops of gun oil in the areas that see rotation, and she runs like a champ! To be completely honest, once I got the loose screw issue worked out, and about 50 rounds through it, this is probably the smoothest running lever action I have. And I have a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EtLbZdjKA7c
Old June 13, 2022, 11:18 AM   #35
vtchopperdude

Picture of the Spencer with my Marlin 336 Trapper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E1503sm.jpg (352.6 KB, 50 views)
Old January 11, 2023, 02:36 PM   #36
vtchopperdude

Well after 6 months of ownership and about 200 rounds through it, it feeds and ejects fine. Ironically, my issue is with the screws coming loose. Namely, the percussion plate screws and the lever-to-block screw. I actually inadvertently overtightened the lever-to-block screw recently and snapped the tiny little screw. I'm not sure how soldiers felt about this rifle in protracted battles. After every magazine (7 shots), I have to bust out my screwdriver and tighten those screws. Granted, I'm not fighting for my life, so it's only a minor inconvenience, but if I was in the heat of battle, and the screws started coming loose, I think I'd feel a lot differently. All in all though, it's one of my favorite guns to shoot, and look at, because it's just so cool. The craftsmanship on the rifle is excellent...it's just those damn screws keep coming loose when firing.
Old January 11, 2023, 02:38 PM   #37
vtchopperdude

And here's a picture of the Spencer with a few of my other lever guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E3292s.jpg (807.8 KB, 35 views)