The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 10, 2001, 07:35 AM   #1
Master Blaster

Does anyone make a drop in solid bushing replacement for the Collet bushing. If not can I orderone and fit it to the original Barrel myself? Would it involve 600 grit sand paper or grinding compound on the bushing to do the fitting, or is there a special cutting tool??

My 70 series shoots great with the collet bushing, some say they will break and lock the slide open??? Why would the bushing break when it is under the least tension?? When the slide is closed the fingers are putting preasure on the barrel if it were to break with the slide in Battery would it lock the slide closed??

Thanks
Old March 10, 2001, 10:45 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

MB, any bushing will work as a replacement. You can get the drop in or oversize. I've seen the fingers break and lock the up slide. I've seen them break without the shooter knowing it until he disassembles the gun. It's just my opinion but I think that because of their flexing nature (bending metal back and forth) that eventually they will break. George
Old March 10, 2001, 08:18 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been reading articles and listening to gossip on this subject for a long, long time. As near as I can tell, it doesn't happen often, but when it does it can be lock-up city.

So, on my several Series 70s that I've had, I've always replaced the finger-type bushing for one which never, never, ever will break.

Art
Old March 11, 2001, 07:40 AM   #4
Master Blaster

Thanks for the replies, Could either Art or George please tell me what part to order and who to order it from, and how to go about the fitting so that the pistol will be as accurate as it is now. Thanks

The gun is 1980 production and it nickle plated Mark IV series 70.
Old March 11, 2001, 07:53 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

MB, I'd recommend an oversize/gunsmith fit WCPI angle bored bushing. You ream the inside to match your bbl diameter and turn down the outside diameter to fit snugly in the slide. The "angle bored" feature eliminates the step of relieving the inside front and rear of the bushing for barrel tip up. George
Old March 12, 2001, 08:17 AM   #6
Master Blaster

Thanks George for the detailed reply, I'm afraid my budget does not allow for any custom gunsmithing.
This gun is a fun shooter and not a bullseye gun.
What type/ brand/source of a non fitted drop in bushing would you guys recommend??
Old March 12, 2001, 09:04 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

See if you can find a "freebie" out of a gunsmith's wild-animal box. Or buy one from a gun parts guy at a gunshow. (Mechanics and gunsmiths accumulate "stuff". "Stuff" lives in wild-animal boxes, so-called because one never is really sure what sort of wild animal will be found there... )

As usual, Art
Old March 12, 2001, 09:07 AM   #8
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

MB, the WCPI also comes in a pre-fit drop in version. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend that unless your bbl diameter matches what their inside diameter is listed at. You need to measure the diameter of your barrel and then select the pre-fit bushing that is closest to that diameter. If you'll go to http://www.brownells.com and search for barrel bushing you'll find the diameters for each in the product description. George
Old March 14, 2001, 08:41 AM   #9
Master Blaster

Well I measured the Barrel and the OD of the current collet bushing and it appears that the Ed Brown Drop in will fit my gun my barrel OD is .5808, Have you folks used one of these and are they of good quality?
Thanks

ED BROWN

1911 AUTO SOLID BARREL BUSHINGS

Long-Wearing, Solid Steel Increases Accuracy
Two, machined versions meet the needs of both gunsmiths and shooters. Drop-In - Close, drop-in fit on Colt slides. Helps tighten slide-to-barrel fit for improved accuracy. Requires no fitting with Ed Brown Barrel and Colt slides. Other brands may require minor fitting. Oversize - Requires turning of O.D., and reaming of I.D., to achieve a true match fit. Heat treated and hardened for outstanding durability.
SPECS: Steel, blue or stainless steel (SS), silver matte finish. Drop-In (DI) - .581" I.D., .695" O.D. Oversize (OS) - .576" I.D., .705" O.D. Ship wt. 1/2 lb.

Old March 20, 2001, 08:20 AM   #10
Master Blaster

Well I ordered and rec'd the ED Brown bushing from ED Brown directly, rather than Brownells. The drop in fit model referrenced above was a perfect fit. I test fired the gun and the accuracy may have improved slightly, of course this may be psychological. Now my colt says Ed Brown on the front!!!.

Thanks for the advice and anyone else considering this mod I can recommend the ED Brown Part.
Old March 21, 2001, 07:38 PM   #11
RickB

I've installed two of the drop-in agle-bore bushings, one in a Delta Elite, and the other in a Colt M1911A1 with a Schuemann barrel. It really was a drop-in on the DE, only requiring a diameter reduction behind the lock-up area. OD was needs-a-wrench tight. The Schuemann barrel was a tighter fit, but still home-gunsmithing easy. The formerly-WCPI bushing seems to now be made by EGW, as that's what it said on the package