The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 21, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
worldclass

I found this gun in an antique shop, but do not know much about it

I have wanted an OLD rifle for a long time and I found one for a decent price.

I have a pic I am trying to upload, but here is the description

It is 56-58 inches long. I dont know the exact length because it is being shipped right now. Im not sure the caliber of the barren but it is definitely bigger than .44 (I have a 44 mag revolver). It has 3 bands holding the barrel and wood together, each with a spring loaded catch for them. NO front sight, or rear sight on it. It has a bayonet stud. It has the stuffing rod (my technical term for it ) and the end is rounded with a rounded indent for the slug. It has 3 markings that were visible and they were all just the #6. Two of them were on the barrel, and one was on the stuffing rod.

I have been searching all over the internet but havent found any rifles as long as this one. I have found some with very similar descriptions, but not exact. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.jpg (245.7 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by worldclass; July 21, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Great pics of legs, feet, sandals and tattoos. Not a good picture of the gun.

From the little I can tell, it looks like one of the many foreign muskets imported during the American Civil War, perhaps Austrian, but without supporting evidence of CW use, it is just another old musket.

It doesn't appear to be any standard US musket, either original or conversion, but without better pictures it is hard to tell even what it is not.

When you can get good pictures of the lockplate, the top of the barrel and the front end, post them and maybe we can be of more help.

If it is a foreign musket, those are not bringing high prices; good ones go for around $400-600 depending on condition if complete and functional. Ones cut down for shotguns bring less.

Jim
Old July 22, 2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Hawg

I don't believe it's an Austrian Lorenz. Whatever it is it's missing the nose cap. I'm leaning towards a converted 1816 Springfield.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:48 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

My thought was Prussian 1809, they converted a lot of them in the 1850's because needle gun production was slow. But it seems to lack the swivel attachments on the rings that European military imports used to have. And I agree with HH, the front band seems wrong for a military rifle, they all had protective caps to reinforce the end of the shaft where you inserted the ramrod.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:06 AM   #5
SurplusShooter

It looks to be of .58 caliber but hard to tell.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:41 AM   #6
worldclass

Im sorry for the poor picture quality. I took it to send out to friends and family before shipping it haha

It will be at my house tues and I will have better pics of it then. Thanks for the responses. I was thinking somewhere in the .50 + caliber range too.

I hope its worth at least a little bit more than 600 but if not, its still a cool old piece.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Jim Watson

No sights, hmm.

Is it rifled or smoothbore? Can't see the point of rifling without sights.
I can't find a picture of anything with that narrow front band.

By the way, the stuffing rod has been known as a ramrod for several hundred years, now.
Old July 25, 2011, 03:18 PM   #8
worldclass

It is a smooth bore. ANd thanks for the update on the ram rod haha

I couldnt think of that word for the life of me. I should have the rifle back in hand tomorrow so I can take a few better pics of it and that should help a little better.

Thanks again
Old July 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Eghad

you made my neck hurt....

NRA Life Member
Old July 25, 2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wait until you get it, and then read whatever markings are on the lock plate, and come back and let us know.

But often the shape of the "stuffer" can be a very distinctive tell.

I'm thinking that it's possibly French, maybe a variation on the Model 1840.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.