The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
mnhntr

Factory Crimp Die

Bought a set of Lee carbide .45acp dies and it has a seater/crimp die but the instruction say for a reliable factory crimp to buy the Factory Resizer/Crimper die. Any opinions? Does anyone find the standard die is unreliable for feeding in their 1911? If this is neccesary for reliable feeding why not just put it in the set? seems like a gimmick to make money?
Old June 15, 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Mtn Biker

You can buy a 4 die set that comes with the FCD. I find it very useful on 45ACP. It gives it a taper crimp and smooths out any bulges in the case from seating the bullet so that they feed without any hitches.
I also use it on 9mm and 38spl but the 9mm hardly touches the re sizer ring so I could probably get by without it on those.
Now some reloaders do not use or recommend the FCD for their own reasons so these are just my opinions.

VL
Old June 15, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

If you smooth out the bulge from seating the bullet, what does it do to the bullet inside of the case? The bullet fits the case perfectly actually metal to metal contact. If smoothing out the case permits proper feeding what happens to the bullet when it enters the barrel now that it is a smaller diameter?
Old June 15, 2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Mtn Biker

Quote:
If you smooth out the bulge from seating the bullet, what does it do to the bullet inside of the case? The bullet fits the case perfectly actually metal to metal contact. If smoothing out the case permits proper feeding what happens to the bullet when it enters the barrel now that it is a smaller diameter?
That is one of the things some people mention when talking against the FCD. It is possible it resizes the bullet. Pulling one and remeasuring it would verify if this is happening or not. I just know that even with a minimum of belling to the cartridge mouth that some bullets will not drop into the chamber without dragging. The FCD flows the case at the base of the bullet and they come out the same size as new ammo.
Not everyone likes or uses one which is why they offer the dies in a 3 die set or a 4 die set. Your mileage may vary.

VL
Old June 16, 2009, 08:07 AM   #5
bigfoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYNUGpFG1f4
Old June 16, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
mnhntr

Cool video thanks I am ordering one.
Old June 17, 2009, 04:55 PM   #7
QBall45

I use the Lee FCD and find it does a wonderful job. Uniform crimp and no shaving off lead or jacket material. Go buy one you will be happy.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
dsv424

I use the four die set in all my pistol loads, 9mm, 10mm, .38 spec., 357 mag, and 45 ACP and love the results. It always creates a smooth transition between the case edge and the bullet.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9
more forty fives

I love it.Had to be talked into buying one to.Thought it was a gimmick boy I was wrong.