The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 2, 2002, 04:46 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Weird Remington 7400 problem

My Remington 7400 .30-'06 was acting funny today. It'd fire the first round, eject the case, and chamber the next round fine, but the hammer wouldn't cock unless you manually worked the bolt.

I'm stumped.

Naturally it's got to do this when I'm showing it to someone interested in buying it. *sigh*
Old June 2, 2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Will Beararms

The 742 30-06 we had needed to be detail stripped and cleaned after each season by a competent gunsmith. Check your firing pin channel.
Old June 2, 2002, 05:34 PM   #3
Nightcrawler

Disassembly instructions? I bought it used and it came with none. I haven't taken it apart yet; I'm afraid I won't be able to get back together. Sporter rifles are like military style ones; you can't just rip them apart and slap 'em back together.
Old June 3, 2002, 06:55 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's move this to thhe Smithy and let George have a go at it.

, Art
Old June 4, 2002, 07:30 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

It may be short cycling. The gas port may be clogged. I'd have it detail cleaned first and see if that helps. If it doesn't I'd look for wear on the sear and hammer. George
Old June 6, 2002, 09:43 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That rifle can't pick up and chamber the next round without cocking the hammer, so I suspect the hammer is following down. Unless someone has been doing some amateur "gunsmithing" trying to work on the trigger, I suspect dirt and crud in the trigger group is keeping the disconnect from working. You might get away just pulling the trigger group and sloshing it in a cleaner, using a paint brush to get the worst stuff out. Be careful in reassembly; don't use force.

Jim
Old June 10, 2002, 01:07 PM   #7
Jason280

I second what Jim said. The trigger group is fairly easy to remove, and isn't too difficult to clean. I wouldn't recommend detail stripping it, as this can get very complicated. All you have to do is drift out the two pins in the receiver, and the grouping will pull down out of the receiver. The easiest way to clean it is to soak it in a degreaser for a while, and then spray the trigger group with some compressed air, which should remove the excess degreaser. Check the trigger group for "funk", which could be causing the problem. Make sure you apply some gun oil, and check the function of the trigger while it is out of the gun. You should be able to manually cock the hammer, and it should lock back (without any problems). If its not locking back, then there is definitely something wrong with the sear/trigger/hammer assembly. If it is locking back correctly, re-install and try the gun. I doubt very seriously if the gun is shortstroking, especially if it is ejecting spent cases and chambering live ones. Cleaning the trigger group should solve the problem (hopefully).