The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 6, 2017, 06:21 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

Training With Airsoft

I grew up playing airsoft with my cousins. We chased each other around the woods, pretended we were Navy SEALS, and tried not to lose any eyes.

Now that I've been shooting "real" guns for almost 10 years, I'm circling back to my roots. I recently purchased a C02 operated CZ P01, which is an exact replica of my carry gun, even fitting in my Kydex holster perfectly.

I have a torso sized cardboard box filled with pieces of styrofoam as my target in the basement and here's what I practice (while the kids sleep, oh the glory!):

- Drawing from holster with speed at 3 yards ad firing a single shot (muscle memory)
- I use my furnace as "cover" and practice stepping out and engaging the target from both directions (target acquisition)
- Starting from 10 yards and advancing on the target while firing (movement)

With the airsoft you obviously lose most of the recoil sensation, but the practice I'm getting drawing from the holster and acquiring targets quickly has proven EXTREMELY valuable. For quiet, rainy day, kids sleeping practice, it can't be beat. I held off for a long time, but I wish I hadn't.

Now... to get the wife to do it with me...
Old May 6, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

There was a Japanese young man who only shot airsoft and then came to the USA and started matches with real guns and IIRC he was at a champion level.

Someone might know the story or google it. Airsoft is really good for courses also.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:31 PM   #3
JoeSixpack

Some of the airsoft guns are very true to form, and with price tags to match.
I'd considered this my self and I think it has some merit.

I've never had any airsofts but I did have air guns growing up unfortunately most of my old air guns have bad seals (rubber only last so long) and haven't around to repairing them.

Still the airsofts are generally much closer to the real thing then airguns (at least the more expensive models) let me know how it works out for you.

You might also look into dry fire practice with a laser trainer, that's what I currently use.. does not work so great for striker guns though.
Old May 7, 2017, 08:19 AM   #4
g.willikers

I've been using airguns for home practice for decades.
The newer versions are about the same as using .22 rimfires.
And they can be used in ways to practice on a home range that would get you thrown out of most anywhere else.
I got the idea from one of our action pistol guys who generally scored near or at the top of every match.
It's definitely a good idea.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:46 AM   #5
gbclarkson

An element of realism is removed, to be sure; but I totally agree. My MP company routinely practiced small-group strategies with paintball guns because they are cheaper, safer, usable in any area the unit is willing to clean afterwards, and not routinely under lock and key.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Lohman446

“You can shoot eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, all you become is good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.” Michael Jordan

As long as you are concentrating on skills that do in fact carry over to "the real deal" then practicing in other manners is going to show improvement when it is carried over. Just make sure you know the limits and do not develop bad habits in the process.
Old May 9, 2017, 06:09 PM   #7
FireForged

Airsoft games are good practice for more airsoft.
Old May 9, 2017, 06:50 PM   #8
JoeSixpack

wouldn't they at least be good for dry fire and draw?
I do those with a laser trainer and a unloaded gun.. no bang bang
Public ranges often frown at draw practice on the line.
Old May 10, 2017, 04:14 PM   #9
g.willikers

All trigger time is beneficial.
One advantage of airguns is there's feedback.
Actual holes in targets.
Dry fire lacks that.
It's hard to ignore the benefits.
Now, if we all had real shooting ranges in the back yard, that would be different.
Old May 10, 2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Airsoft is great for FOF. BTW, if you think they don't hurt, run into a full auto one at close range just wearing a t-shirt. Black and Blue and it drew blood.

You tend not to win the day with your 6 shot revolver against a team of 4 guys with such when you flee another team with those.
Old May 10, 2017, 06:45 PM   #11
walks with gun

Using cardboard targets, I occasionally practice my room clearing with a flashlight using a airsoft gun. You can go from room to room making pew, pew noises but find out how easy it really is to miss using the airsoft gun and a light. Don't leave the plastic pellets laying around, even though you can explain to her you are practicing to defend the family, the little woman will find these pellets and you will be scolded. Again.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:47 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

Air Soft and air powered isn't the same thing. Air Soft guns are toys. Period. Air powered rifles and handguns can be good practice and are used in Olympic shooting. Toys, they ain't.
"...Dry fire lacks that..." You're not practicing putting holes in targets by dry firing. You're practicing the techniques required to do it properly. Sight picture, trigger control and breathing.
"...room to room making pew, pew noises..." Usin' a suppressor? It's BLAM! BLAM! snicker.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:07 PM   #13
Lohman446

In kettlebell training they have what is known as the "what the hell" effect. I kid you not that is what it is referenced as.

It references the fact that even "targeted" weight training with kettlebells will show improvement in strength in areas that are not specifically targeted.

It has to do with the dynamic nature of kettlebells. Because the weight is not evenly distributed other muscle groups are forced to participate even in targeted workouts.

Because shooting situations, especially those designed to mimic real-life situations, are extremely complex anything that can be done to improve your skill set is worthwhile. As I eluded to you should know the limits of that training but training, if done well, is worthwhile even if it is not 100% accurate reflection of the situation being trained for.
Old May 11, 2017, 02:48 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

We've found airsoft guns to be very useful and effective in our Basic Handgun classes.

Probably 90% of our students have never touched a real gun. So we have them taking small, measured steps leading up to their doing live fire.

We start with the students handling real guns (both revolvers and semi-autos) under the direct supervision, one-on-one, of an instructor. They load and unload them using dummy ammunition. They get a feel for how much force is required to operate the various "gizmos." And while they're doing this safety, muzzle awareness, and trigger finger discipline are being continually reinforced by the instructor.

Next, after a discussion of basic marksmanship skills, grip, stance, sight alignment and trigger control, students work on those skills, again one-on-one with an instructor, using a "blue" training gun.

Now we set up targets in the classroom, and the students shoot airsoft guns. We use the high quality, green gas (propane) powered ones that function like the real thing. The students again work one-on-one with an instructor concentrating on sight alignment, trigger control and trigger reset without the distractions of recoil and report.

Now we go into the range for live fire with .22s. After everyone has shot 25 rounds with the .22, they have an opportunity with try various centerfire handguns from 9mm to .44 Magnum. All this is also done one-on-one with an instructor.

The students do well. We've concluded that the airsoft exercises are a very important part of the novice student's path to live fire with good results.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Tags
airsoft , improvement , skills , speed , training