The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2002, 03:03 PM   #26
cheygriz

Bill,

Haven't tried Ramshot yet. Thanx for the tip.

For my non-magnum stuff, i.e. 38 spec. +p and +P+. 9MM +P and +P+, .40, .45 ACP +P I use HS-6 from Hodgdon exclusively. Meters well, bulks up well, gives max velocity consistent with safe pressure and burns fairly clean. It's a great powder for medium capacity cases, but like AAC#9, it really likes to be used in high pressure (+P) type loads.
Old December 13, 2002, 05:16 PM   #27
Bill Adair

Cheygriz,

I'm going to have to try some of that HS6 one of these days, because so many reloaders on different forums have recommended that powder.

How does the granulation and metering of HS6 compare to other powders?

I much prefer the small flake or ball powders, because they usually meter very accurately. Ramshot True Blue is the absolute best in that regard, but it also likes high pressures, delivering single digit SD's in most cases when loads are near the top of the standard velocity range (not H110/W296 levels). Burn rate falls between HS6 and HS7, and just below AA#7.

Bill
Old December 13, 2002, 09:56 PM   #28
cheygriz

Bill,

HS-6 meters as well as any powder that I've ever used. It is a very fine granulation spherical powder somewhat similar to the AAC#5 that you are familiar with.

To give you an idea of how much HS-6 I use, I usually buy it in case lots of four, 8 pound kegs. (32 lbs tot.)

Since all of the 9MM, .38, and .45 that I load is +P or +P+, and .40 is high pressure in factory duplication loads, it works out very well for me.

Try a pound, I think you'll like it. BTW, I use only standard pistol primers with HS-6. Remington 1 1/2 and 2 1/2. Some pholks here report that they get better results with magnum primers, but I have always had better luck with standards. Try 'em both if you don't get good results with the standards.
Old December 14, 2002, 05:28 AM   #29
WESHOOT2

SO MANY

Also had great results with HS6 in 44 Mag / lead bullet (any other kind? really?) / kinda' snotty loads.
(255g WFNPB).
Old December 14, 2002, 01:57 PM   #30
Bill Adair

Cheygriz,

Holy smoke, I think that's more powder than I've used in my entire twenty-five years of reloading!!!

Thanks for the additional info on HS6. It sounds like a powder that I need to promote to the very top of my shopping list.

Hodgdon powders are generally a few dollars less per pound in this area, while True Blue is almost up there with the highest priced powders.

Your choice of primers is also interesting, because reloading data I've seen that actually compares various brands under controlled conditions, lists Remington as the hottest of the popular brands. The problem is finding them.

I usually buy my primers at our monthly gun shows (where I'm headed shortly), and even CCI is hard to find there. Everyone sells Winchester primers, but as you know, they don't make a large pistol magnum primer.

Weshoot2,

Thanks for the info.

I shoot lead bullets almost exclusively in my handguns, and have just recently been experimenting with jacketed bullets again.

OK, you got me on that one. What is a WFNPB bullet?

Don't own a 44 magnum, or reload that caliber at present, but have shot several of them. I really like the Ruger Redhawks, and Dan Wesson 44's, and hope to own one some day.

Bill
Old December 15, 2002, 06:51 AM   #31
WESHOOT2

Wide Flat Nose Plain Base.

Redhawks, mmm-mmm good............
Old December 15, 2002, 09:44 PM   #32
cheygriz

Bill,

You need to do a lot more shooting, my friend!
Old December 16, 2002, 05:45 AM   #33
Desert Dog

I will chime in on another Ramshot powder...

Enforcer. Works well in heavy .45 ACP, .41 magnum, .357 magnum... and is extremely consistent, meters very well, and clean burning...

It is about the same burning rate as AA#9...

Try it, you might like it.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 16, 2002, 07:16 PM   #34
Bill Adair

Cheygriz,

I'm working on that problem, but it isn't going near fast enough.

Desert Dog,

Thanks for the Enforcer info. Do you use magnum primers with Enforcer?

All of the Ramshot powders are getting very good reviews, so I would like to try more of them.

Bill