The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Clyde

M-49 8mm mauser replication

Has anyone out there replicated a reload for the M-49 8mm mauser round?
I have a Egyptian FN-49 rifle and have heard that the Yugoslavian M-49 8mm round works best with it.
As most of this surplus ammo is corrosive, I am not inclined to shoot it thru my rifle. However my current efforts to reload this cartidge are not performing all that well.

Take care!
Clyde
Old June 1, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
cracked butt

With very few exceptions*, you can almost always make better ammo by reloading than surplus ammo.

I would start with IMR 4064 and 200 gr bullets, standard large rifle primers.
I have gotten this combination to shoot really well in all of my bolt action 8mms.

If you can get them to feed and aren't plannning to shoot over 200 yards, its pretty tough to beat Hornady 170gr round nosed bullets in the 8mms for accuracy using the same powder.

*Swiss GP-11 and Swedish M/41 are both high grade match ammo.
Old June 1, 2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Why work at duplicating mediocrity?

Clyde--Gotta go with Cracked Butt on this one. Milsurp ammo generally was made to be shot in the general direction of the enemy, at hight volume. Accuracy was not a prime consideration.

For accurate reloads, I too like 200 grain bullets. I use SMK's for target competiton, and Nosler Accubonds for hunting. Had been using IMR 4350 for powder, but have switched to Varget, partly for the temperature insensitivity. And it's nice and accurate. Behold, my first perfect score in any sort of competition, this with a modified Yugo M-48 rifle, 200 grain SMK, Varget. 100 yd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100 tgt_edited-1.jpg (245.6 KB, 27 views)

--Smokey Joe
Old June 1, 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
cracked butt

^nice^