The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 14, 2009, 09:40 AM   #1
SoldiersSon

Require post count to sell:

We might consider a minimum post-count in order for member to be able to list items for sale. Trust can't be based entirely on a high post-count; but if someone joins the board to place a shady sale, I doubt many would stay around long enough to meet such a requirement.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
FALPhil

Has this been a problem in the past or is it a preemptive action for something that has not been a problem?
Old February 14, 2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Very good question by FALPhil. We are going to get shady dealers no matter how many posts they have.

One very good reason not to require X number of posts to sell is that if someone comes here with no good intentions, who is to say that .99X won't be posts such as "+1", or "nice one"?

We prefer quality over quantity, that goes without saying. If we require members to post X times before they can use a prominent feature of TFL, I can fairly safely guarantee that Q:Q ratio will go down.

There are better ways to protect yourself in a deal than looking at a post count.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4
luvsasmith

how is that Mal? I'm looking to do some deals and would sincerely like to know how to protect my money.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

I'm not going to give in depth advice on how "caveat emptor" works. But, if I was going to buy from an unknown seller, I would search the net for any other instances of the name; I would see if they are active at any auction sites; I would use a credit card if possible (Paypal or escrow account) or use a Postal Money Order to pay.

Let me turn it back on you with this - would you feel more comfortable making a deal solely based on the fact that a seller had 52 posts here rather than with one who had only 2 posts? If so, you would need to examine your internet purchasing process.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:23 PM   #6
luvsasmith

No, general post counts do not make me feel better. A display of in depth knowledge and interest in our main common bond, being firearms, and several online conversations with that person does tend to put me at a little more ease though. I would think the majority of the people that are ripping others off via sites like TFL are those new members that post only in the WTS ads and cheat a few folks then quickly disappear.

Also, my question was neither sarcastic nor meant to offend you. Sorry if it was taken as otherwise but it was an honest question.
Old February 15, 2009, 04:59 AM   #7
SoldiersSon

When I originally typed out my first post, I added that a post-count requirement would only be one of the factors that should be taken into cosideration. I deleted that part since it should be common sense.

Quote:
One very good reason not to require X number of posts to sell is that if someone comes here with no good intentions, who is to say that .99X won't be posts such as "+1", or "nice one"?
Nobody can say that...but if someone is looking for a quick buck and they come here and find it's NOT a quick buck, I think we all benefit.

Last edited by Mal H; February 15, 2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added quote tags
Old February 15, 2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Playboypenguin

My experiences have been kind of the opposite from the intent of the OP. I have had issues with newbies offering to buy guns then flaking out. It all kind of comes down to buyer beware and sell beware I guess.
Old February 15, 2009, 06:42 AM   #9
FALPhil

Instead of post count, I would think that better mechanisms to ensure seller reliability would be things like:

- feedback mechanism (similar to ebay's)
- verifiable email address from a recognized ISP and not a free email like yahoo or gmail (it need not necessarily be published)
- verifiable telephone number
- and admonition in the header of the forum folder that federal wire fraud laws apply.

I just don't see how post count has any bearing, unless there is an unrelated reason to get post counts up. What if, in order to get an advertisement posted, someone just goes through the forum making garbage posts that waste bandwidth?
Old February 15, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I just don't see how post count has any bearing
Because people with higher posts counts are just better people.
Old February 15, 2009, 01:24 PM   #11
grymster2007

Post count alone doesn't mean much, but reading a number the posts by a given member can help to determine if they value their reputation here.

Quote:
I always heard it peaks at around 1500 and goes downhill from there, reaching an ultimate low at around 10,000.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Nah
Old February 15, 2009, 10:06 PM   #13
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I always heard it peaks at around 1500 and goes downhill from there, reaching an ultimate low at around 10,000.
That sounds about right.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:27 AM   #14
SoldiersSon

Wow, you guys seem to have a hard time grasping an idea that is in practice on many other boards. Oh well...I don't do business via forums anyway, just trying to pass along an idea.
Old February 16, 2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Other boards, run by other people, can do what they want to do. If they think it solves a possible problem, more power to them.

We simply don't agree.
Old February 16, 2009, 10:58 AM   #16
SoldiersSon

Well, at least you guys kept an open mind.
Old February 16, 2009, 12:51 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

Don't take it so personally, SoldiersSon! It was actually a good suggestion, in fact, it's been a good suggestion for the two or three times it's suggested each and every year.

Implementing it with vbulletin, while not very difficult, isn't easy either. We would have to set up a new user group that members would get promoted to when they reached a certain post count. There is no provision in the various forums to just say no posts allowed without a specified post count. I wish there were.
Old February 16, 2009, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
"...an open mind."
Yep, it makes for nice melodies when the wind blows.
Kinda like an olden times jug band...