The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 14, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Sun_Tzu

Lights (flash & tac)

I'm looking for a combat light and I am familiar with the products Surefire make. They seem to be very good, but are they the industry benchmark? Do they set a standard, or are they the "popular" light to have? Also I am looking for a tac light for my G19, and I am familiar with the ones offered by Glock, but are they any good? I am looking to spend max $200.00 (retail, if I can get it cheaper I will) for each. I am sure a good light will cost $$$ but I don't mind paying for quality. I am looking for something combat/tactically proven, reliable, durable, and long lasting, not to mention BLINDINGLY bright. Any suggestions on "particular" models would be appreciated.
Old June 14, 2007, 09:26 PM   #2
black bear 84

As a combat light I like the Surefire Centurion III with the P-91 lamp (for 200 lumens). I use this light with a so called Tiger Ring (actually invented by Gabe Suarez).

Here the Surefire Centurion III and the Streamlight TL-3

I have a thread here called :Lights for law enforcement" that will eventually be a data-base of beam shot so members can compare how differents lights perform against others.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=239165

I don't have much experience with the pistol lights, but a Surefire X200 is hard to beat.

Respectfully
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old June 14, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Sun_Tzu

Thanks alot for the info man. I appreciate it.
Old June 14, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Jason_G

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about the Glock lights. I personally prefer Streamlight's products over Surefire. Not that Surefire makes bad products, but you can usually get more for your money from Streamlight. I have this one in my night stand:
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=35
It's brighter than alot of the $300 Surefires and it only set me back about $50, and that's with my town's 9% sales tax included. It's nice and compact, too.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is this light gonna be for indoors or outdoors? That light I gave a link for is plenty bright unless you are trying to illuminate something really far off, like outside, 30 yds or more. Inside a normal sized house, it'll blind the crap out of someone. You have to be careful not to blind yourself with it actually. White walls will reflect!

Jason
Old June 16, 2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Sun_Tzu

I guess itwould be for both outdoor, and indoor. I want a multi purpose light.
Old June 16, 2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Jason_G

I really like the Stream Light TL Night Fighter 2 for the money. It's bright enough to temporarily blind someone in a home intrusion situation, and it's more than bright enough for just taking the dog out at night. It's a nice sturdy metal body and a real compact light. It's also got an adjustable focus. Also, that 30 yds I posted earlier is pretty conservative. It'll shine out further than that, but you can do better at those ranges with a different light.
If you need a really long range beam for outdoors spotlight type work you might want to check out these:
http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/
Just nose around there for a little while.

Jason
Old June 17, 2007, 09:48 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

I seen the light

I am happy with my Streamlight Scorpion (carried now for four years, sits in the car winter and summer, in my purse).

I am happy with my years-old Streamlight don'tknowwhatit'scalled with plastic body in bright yellow; even my kids haven't been able to stress that one.
Old June 17, 2007, 11:04 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Unlike Black Bear, oddly enough, I'll recommend a Black Bear light as a "combat light" - the Bear Cub :

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

How does one define "combat light", anyhow? Why doesn't the bear cub qualify? Too big I suppose...

Black Bear, how do you use the "tiger ring"?
Old June 19, 2007, 04:57 PM   #9
black bear 84

Hi FirstFreedom,

I do like the Bear Cub for Combat, or even better the BOREALIS if I have them on hand in the house or the car. However when using my tuxedo the Bear Cub prints under my cummerbund, hence the smaller head Surefire Centurion III. :-D

The tiger rings (better called the Gabe Suarez rings for its inventor) are used on a finger of your hand, and the light flips out of the way to the back of your hand with a quick wrist movement.

Now, you can go for your magazine or open that door while still having your light a flick away.
The tiger ring is better than a lanyard, especially if you have to clear a stove pipe in the shooting position (the lanyard equiped light will collide with your head).

I prefer the hair tie because it is soft, stretches, and is less liable to cut your finger if caught.

Even though I use it on my thumb, I think that you can control it better (with less practice) if it is placed on your middle finger.

Open your hand and flick the light to the back of your hand

If you don't have a point of attachment (a clip) you can knot the hair tie in any smooth light like this ASP.

Respectfully,
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]