The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
shooter_john

Altenative Tumbling Media

Does anyone have ideas for tumbling media other than corncob or walnut shells? I was thinking that instant (or regular) grits are similar in size, but I don't want to ruin a batch of brass without at least having some idea of what will or will not work. Also, will Brasso do for polishing brass, I ask only because I am out of my normal polish.
And finally, if it is best to stick with corncob or walnut, does anyone know what is used to crush it to that consistency?
Thanks in advance for any help or answers.
Old September 2, 2006, 08:18 AM   #2
sindiesel666

Some folks use RICE as a media, but I've never tried it, so I can not attest to it's effectiveness. Couldn't hurt the brass, and it's cheap and plentiful.
Old September 2, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
DanM2000

I am not sure about an alternative media to cob or walnut, but if you buy it at the pet store in 25 lb. bags your cost goes way down. You may have to get them to order the fine grade of cob. The walnut will be right. They keep both for animal bedding, and is dirt cheap this way. Brasso works, I have used it temporarily when I was out of the Midway polish. They say not to use it on cases because it contains ammonia, and may weaken your brass. I haven't had any problems with it. 'Mothers' mag wheel polish is supposed to work good. It has to be non-ammoniated for aluminum wheels. If you don't use a polish , then walnut will leave a brighter shine than cob. If you add polish, there seems to be no difference.

Josey Wales: "I reckon not."
Old September 2, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
MADISON

Comparing cost

I was wondering, has anybody compared the price of:
Pet Store media to 50 or 100 pounds [I don't know how it is packed.]of RICE at Sam's Club?
Old September 2, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
918v

Q-tip and vinegar will get them cleaner.
Old September 2, 2006, 11:44 AM   #6
DanM2000

This is the first I have heard of rice as a case cleaner. Does it really work as well as cob? Does it absorb as much dirt?

Josey Wales: "I reckon not."
Old September 2, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Bud Helms

It doesn't shine as well as walnut. It's about like corncob media, maybe better. It absorbs lots of dirt.

I've used kitty litter in a pinch. It is very dusty but works well.
Old September 2, 2006, 03:43 PM   #8
ConRich

I would think that the starch in rice would leave a coating on the brass that would become sticky when heated in the chamber. That's just a thought that I had, nothing scientific.

Rich
Old September 2, 2006, 08:14 PM   #9
scgunsmith

I use whole grain rice, run it a 1-2 hrs longer then walnut and it cleans as well and a lot cheaper
Old September 2, 2006, 08:19 PM   #10
cdoc42

I've tried rice and I wasn't impressed. Seemed the brass had a dull finish.

I've added BonAmi cleanser to corn cob and walnut as some have recommended on this site but I couldn't really say I noticed a big difference. Maybe I didn't add enough. All in all, I'd vote for corn cob if you have to pick one.

On another thread some mentioned Turtle Wax with walnut. I've tried that this weekend. Smells nice. Keeps the dust down from walnut. Brass ends up slippery. But I wonder if wax on the inside of the case will present a problem with the powder.
Old September 2, 2006, 11:28 PM   #11
Bud Helms

A while back there was a good thread on additives for tumbling brass. Ammonia is supposedly an ingredient in some car waxes and polishes. Ammonia can make brass brittle. There was a couple of brands that came out of that thread that were recommended. I'll try to find that old thread.

Found a newer one: here
Old September 3, 2006, 07:58 AM   #12
joshua

Me and a friend of mine bought once fired 38 super brass from a supplier and the first thing we noticed upon loading and firing were the large amount of split at the case mouths we were having. I'm talking about 50%, we checked our loads and compared with some old brass and sure enough the loads were safe, although these loads were for USPSA open class major loads they are still considered safe. We contacted the supplier and told him our problem and that's when he divulged the information of an amonia based cleaner added to a batch of brass. He ended up giving us credit for future purchases on brass and that was good enough for me. BTW he made sure no more amonia based cleaner used on brass shells. Rice as a tumbling media may work your tumbler a bit harder due to its' heavier weight. josh