The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Craig010

Traditions Spiller and Burr .36

Good Evening, Everyone. I picked up a Spiller and Burr .36 revolver at auction for what I think is a great price. The gun barely looks used. Down side is it's missing the front sight and although I haven't torn it apart yet, I'm guessing the hand spring is broken since the hand doesn't engage the cylinder.

The pistol was sold as an Italian import but has absolutely no proof marks or other markings short of a serial number. When I started digging around is when I found a photo of the exact same pistol on Traditions website.

I've checked a couple of my usual parts sites, but keep coming up with a blank on parts for Traditions. Anyone have any ideas or know of a good source?

Thanks, Craig
Old June 5, 2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Craig

Dixie Gun Works,

Numrich Arms

VPI

You may not find a listing for Traditions but it is probably either ASM or Pietta depending upon its age.

Is some cases mosting having to do with internals (IIRC), Dixie has taken to calling their parts "for Italian imports" At least I think that is the phrase. The implications is that the parts are physically very similar and in most cases require some final fitting no matter what.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Craig010

Thanks, Doc. I'll dig back into a parts search this evening.

I read someplace else, maybe another string here, that Traditions is really just a reseller. The fact that there are absolutely no marks what-so-ever on the pistol through me off the trail. Every Italian pistol I'd seen up to now had the usual set of date and proof marks.

I'll try to post some pictures of it this evening. One of the reasons I bought it is because it is just a beautiful piece of work.

~Craig
Old June 5, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Correct

Traditions imports, I believe, exclusively Pietta products.

The absense of markings is an indication that it might have begun life as a kit but on the other hand, since it has a serial number I think that is not the case. I am not aware of a Spiller and Burr in kit form, but there are plenty of things I don't know about.

On the other hand, Armi San Poalo was noted for clever masking of the markings of manufacture. Put them in out-of-the-way places and in locations which required disassembly in order to find them. They were also noted for dovetailing sights.

In either case a little conversation with the parts wheenies will be helpful. I recommend a call to VTI first. The folks who answer the phone are apparently right next to the folks who are smart about the parts applicability. This is not the case with Dixie. Great operation but a little less user friendly.

When you get it apart, you may find that the only casualties to the revolver are reversable with a little cleaning and lubricant.
Old June 5, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

What Doc said +1
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 5, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Craig010

Thanks, Guys. I found a schematic for a Pietta 1862 Spiller and Burr on VTI. Also found the parts listed on a site called Taylor Firearms. Anyone ever heard of Taylor before? It's a new one on me and the prices are about half to two-thirds those of VTI. Probably go with VTI since I've done business with them before and trust them.

Here's a couple of pics of the pistol from the auction site. It looks as good in real life as it does in the pics. I'm thinking for $160 I may have done good by myself. lol

~Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&B1.jpg (64.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg S&B2.jpg (72.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg S&B4.jpg (64.1 KB, 31 views)
Old June 5, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Taylors is another great company to do business with. I've dealt with both and have never had an unpleasant experience.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 6, 2013, 05:20 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

C010 and FM

Yep, Good move. I forgot Taylors.

I don't know if it might be the photo, but that revolver has a nice red patina to it.

It appears that the cylinder has been refinished.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Craig010

Thanks again for the replies, guys. Maybe I'll give Taylor's a go just to see how they do. First I need to tear it down and give it a good going over to see what I really need.

Doc, I think it's just the picture. The gun does has an amazing blue fiinish. One of the nicest ones I've ever came across.

~Craig
Old June 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
LeadZinger

Real Nice

My Spiller & Burr is a kit gun that I purchased from Dixie a couple of years ago. It is made by Pietta. As Doc points out, since yours has serial numbers it probably is not a kit gun. I doubt it is a Pietta based on absense of the notorious "Pietta Billboard" on the right side of barrell. Mine has it and nothing else at all besides the BP warning on other side. The grips on yours seem much to nice to come from a Pietta kit also. I could be wrong, perhaps it is a Pietta manufactured before their advertising dept. went crazy.

You've got the names of where to get parts. In a pinch you can use Remington 1858 Army parts with minor modifications. You got an excellent buy at $160, kits are generally closer to $200 and finished S&B closeer to $250. You will really enjoy shooting the S&B.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Craig010

LeadZinger, would you believe Traditions has it on their website for $305? I about choked when I stumbled across that.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...volver-.36-cal

~Craig
Old June 7, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12
101combatvet

Damn... that looks like a nice pistol!