The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
AID_Admin

S&W Model 66, a few questions

Ok, today I learned something new... I went to the same range I did before, this was my third trip since I started shooting again.

* On my first trip I thought I was shooting model 686 with 6 shots cylinder and I liked it very much. It was comfortable and accuracy was surprisingly good considering I did not hold a gun in my hand for about 15 years.

* On the second trip I was shooting what I though was 686 with 7 shots cylinder and while I liked it too, I felt that I liked the first one a little better. While very-very similar, accuracy was not as good and overall feeling not quite as comfortable for some reason.

* On the third trip, today, I asked for a 6 shots revolver and I was given what I though was the same gun I had first time. Better accuracy, better feeling than 7 shots I had the previous time.

Well, later I noticed that the model of the gun was 66-7, not 686! Now I am puzzled. I know the differences between two models (K vs. L, etc.), but I never checked model numbers on my two previous visits. Now I am thinking I was probably shooting 66-7 first time, 686+ second time, and 66-7 today. Unless model 66 ever came with 7 shots cylinder and it's all in my head...

I have a couple of questions now: did model 66 ever came with 7 shots cylinder? And also does S&W still makes model 66? I could not see it on their web site. The last question is more subjective and open ended. Can such a little difference as between these two models really effect an accuracy on the 20 yards range or is it more about individual guns?

Thanks.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
AID_Admin

I took this picture with my phone on my first trip to the range. Is it possible to tell from this picture what model this is? May be ID'ing this gun will clarify things for me a little. Thanks.

Old April 9, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
BarryLee

S&W no longer manufactures the Model 66 and I do not believe they ever made them in seven round versions. The Model 19 is the same gun except it has a blued finish instead of stainless steel. The Model 19/66 guns are very popular and there were a number of them made, so they are readily available used.

The guns did have an issue with the forcing cone being damaged after using lots of high powered loads. I think this issue probably gets overstated somewhat and with standard .357Mag or .38 you should be fine.

Can't say for certain, but pretty sure that is not a Model 66 in your photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_19
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

66 was never made with a 7-shot cylinder & is out of production.
Can "such a little difference" as what affect accuracy?

You had two different frame sizes, apparently.
Weight, size, grip configuration, sights, and trigger pull can all affect your shooting.

Denis
Old April 10, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

The gun in the picture is a very late model 66. The half-lug is the key. Generally, the round butt with a 4" barrel and the lock would suggest a 686, but some very late 66's had those features as well.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Waspinator

Quote:
Tom Servo Wrote:
The gun in the picture is a very late model 66. The half-lug is the key.
I don't know... looking at the picture, that looks like a full lug to me. If you look close, the foam material's "peak" is hiding the rest of the lug, which is resting in one of the foam's "valleys". When I look at the very end of the barrel, and follow it down, I can see a bit of the full lug showing. I looked at pictures of late model 66's with locks (-6 and -7) and the half lugs ended just past the ejector rod.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
AID_Admin

I guess I'll have to go and ask to hold both guns (66-7 and 686) and compare the feeling side by side. They are so similar it's impossible to tell the difference two weeks apart, other then "something is not the same"...

Last edited by AID_Admin; April 10, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If you look close, the foam material's "peak" is hiding the rest of the lug, which is resting in one of the foam's "valleys"
Jeepers, you guys are like Robocop with the x-ray vision I can't tell at all. Stinks getting old.

If it's a full lug, then it's definitely a 686. If it's not, it's a 66.

(Interestingly, some of the late 66's had the two-piece barrel setup as well, making them pre-620's, I suppose.)
Old April 10, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

AID,
As Tom notes, if it has the full underlug it's almost certainly a 686, if it doesn't it's a 66.
If it has 7 chambers, it's a 686+. If it has 6 it could be either a 686 or a 66.

The 66 was built on the smaller K-Frame, the 686 on the larger L-Frame.
On my screen your very poor photo appears to POSSIBLY have 7 chambers, but I can't tell for sure. I count 6 brass, but it looks like there may be room enough on the far side of the cylinder for an empty chamber.
If it does & it has the full underlug it's NOT a 66.

You do know where the model's stamped on the guns, right?
Denis
Old April 10, 2013, 02:05 PM   #10
BigJimP

I can't tell what it is from the photo either.....I think you'll have to go back to the range...and just ask to see their model 66's and 686's and compare them side by side.

Looking at the S&W catalog reference book ...I don't see a model 66 that was ever made in a 7 shot either. Model 66's were made from 1970 - 2004.

The model 686 gets confusing....because there is the 686 Distinguised Combat Magnum "Plus" ...in a 7 shot...( made from 1996 - current date ) and at least some of them have the half lug barrel ..../ round butt L frame...made in 2 1/2", a few 3", and 4", a few in 5", and 6" barrels...
Old April 10, 2013, 02:37 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

You're right, I should have included "it's most likely to be a 66" without a full lug.
Denis
Old April 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #12
AID_Admin

Sorry, the range prohibits taking pictures, so this one was taken "illegally" with a phone in low lights just so I can at least remember what I was shooting. However, as I stated above, I will go back next time and ask them to show me all their rentals .38/357 which basically consists of three or four very similar SW, one of which is 7 shot.

Thank you for all your help guys, I learn something new every day. And yes, now I know where the model number is, I learned it on my last visit: it's on the lug hidden, until you open the cylinder.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:51 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Did the one in the photo have a FULL LUG? Did it have 6 or 7 chambers?
Denis
Old April 10, 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
AID_Admin

It was 6 shot for sure and I honestly do not remember the lug, as it was over a month ago :-(
Old April 10, 2013, 03:07 PM   #15
BarryLee

Actually if the gun in the picture were a Model 66 wouldn’t the bottom of the forcing cone by flat?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Actually if the gun in the picture were a Model 66 wouldn’t the bottom of the forcing cone by flat?
Ah, good catch! I had to blow the picture up on my newfangled computer lookity-box, but the cone looks to be the same thickness all around.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:12 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Smith never manufactured a Model 66 (or 19) with a 7-shot cylinder. They're just not hefty enough. Only the slightly larger L frames (686) could accommodate the seventh hole in the cylinder.

On a side note, the 66/19's are great guns and although not in production, can be found used. Lots of them were made - especially the 19's.
Old April 21, 2013, 12:35 AM   #18
AID_Admin

Indeed I like model 66 the best so far. I've tried it against 686 and 60 in S&W line and also against Ruger GP100 and SP101 on the range. So far and fit and feel of 66 seems to suit me best. I am going to give it another run against 686 and if my previous assessment confirms I will be looking for either Model 66 or Model 19 used in mint condition, since they are no longer in production.

Although I have to say both S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 felt like superb guns with good comfort level and great accuracy! May be just a little too bulky for my liking...
Old April 21, 2013, 01:55 AM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

In making your decision keep in mind both of those K-Frames are less durable than either the L-Frames or the Rugers.
S&W is losing the ability to service them in some areas, such as barrels & so on.
Get one if you wish, just make an informed decision.
Denis
Old April 21, 2013, 02:04 AM   #20
AID_Admin

I am aware that both Model 66 and Model 19 are out of production, but it's good to know about possible issues with service. I just think I like K-frame a little better than L-frame. At least so far. Does anyone know if Model 27 of current Classic production based on L or K frame? Thanks.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:08 AM   #21
Jim Watson

S&W Model 27 of any vintage is on the N frame, larger than either K or L.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:46 AM   #22
BillM

One more opinion---based on a 66-6 in hand comparing it to the
fuzzy picture.

The gun in the pic is a 686.

1 Lug is longer than the 66.
2 Bottom of forcing cone is not cut flat like the 66.
3 distance from rim to edge of cylinder is more than the 66.

I don't currently have any L frames to do a direct comparison,
just J, K, N and a few old hand ejectors. Guess I need to
rectify that.
Old April 21, 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
DPris
Member Emeritus

AID,
Not trying to talk you out of a K, just advising that S&W has no replacement barrels for a 19, and with repeated use of magnum loads forcing cones have been known to crack.

Such things as firing pins & hammers are becoming problematical at S&W.
There are still many replacement parts floating around at gunsmith shops, but those will be drying up since S&W isn't producing any new ones for the older models.

I have several older Smiths, bought a new snub 66 last year. I'm not knocking them, just pointing out a potential situation with the out-of-production guns.

Get one in the best shape you can possibly afford & find, that'll give you your best chances of a longer useful service life.
If you get a 19, avoid shooting 125-grain .357 Mag loads through it.
Denis
Old April 21, 2013, 12:55 PM   #24
AID_Admin

Denis, thanks again for an advise! I am not overly concerned with a forcing cone issue on K-frame. This is going to be a target shooting gun, so it will hardly ever see 357 loads anyway, except for the nightstand loading and an occasional few rounds at the range for fun and training. I understand that for range purposes I don't even need a magnum quality gun. I could probably get by with Model 14 and if a good example of it comes by cheap enough I will probably grab it. But having a magnum option in case I ever get in a self defense situation is nice and I am willing to pay a bit extra for it.
Old April 21, 2013, 03:05 PM   #25
The Verminator

Gun in pic can't be a Model 66......it has a safety lock.

As far as I know, they never made a 66 with a lock.

Oops, I see somebody else said that they did make some late 66s with a lock.

Well, the lock still makes it very unlikely, as they couldn't have made very many of them.

Last edited by The Verminator; April 21, 2013 at 03:13 PM.