The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
kraigwy

12 States on Path to Guns Without Permits

12 more states are on their way to join Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, and Wyoming in the No Permit Required, or Constitutional Carry.

Colorado, Iowa, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota and Virgina.

http://www.officer.com/news/10653016...*=CPS120302002

Brian Malte, the director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign's comment proves "Some Child got Left Behind", He needs to get a refund from his history teacher.

Quote:
"They want a gun in every nook and cranny in society with no permission needed
NO PERMISSION?????????? ***
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2
noelf2

Well we in Virginia tried it this year, but it didn't pass. Hopefully next year!
Old March 9, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

RHODE ISLAND!?!?!

Color me amazed. I would never in a gazillion years have predicted that Rhode Island would even consider going directly from super-discretionary may issue to Constitutional carry.

I am gobsmacked.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
JN01

Ohio introduced a bill some time ago, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I'm not holding my breath on it happening anytime soon.
Old March 9, 2012, 04:16 PM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

It ain't gonna happen in Rhode Island. Most likely one of our reps has gone off the reservation, likely a new guy, and is trying to make some waves. But there is no way a bill like that will get past conference in this state. Just no way....
Old March 9, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
SamNavy

I may be headed to Naval War College in Newport within the year and have been doing as much homework as I can on applying for a CCW permit there. It is absolutely unbelievable the amount of work that is involved.

Based on what I'm reading, it involves multiple trips to a local Sheriff's office, a psychological screening, additional "interviews" with somebody in local law enforcement, a short essay, probably needing to get a C&R (especially after first denial), a $240 fee, and a dozen other hurdles.

Needless to day, I'm not looking forward to the battle. Also not looking forward to memorizing the individual laws of the half-dozen states that are within an hours drive of there.

And lets be honest... "legislation being considered" is a long way to getting an actual law in place, but it looks like a step in the right direction.
Old March 9, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I just checked the RI legislative calendar and I can find no introduced legislation regarding opening up CCW. Since the deadline is close (or passed) for submitting legislation this year, whoever wrote the article is sorely mistaken.

For context, 16 bills regarding firearms were introduced last year and only one even made it past committee, to let the town of Middletown decide whether or not they could pass a law to prevent discharging a weapon in the city limits.

As for getting a permit, I would go through the Attorney General first if you are in the Navy. You can definitely get one from them with a "target restriction", which means nothing since there is no legislation allowing them to add a restriction and it is already legal to transport a gun in your car to a target range (don't argue with them, they know this already), and you might get an unrestricted permit. If that does not work, you can get one through the town. Every town is different and the requirements are different. Go to www.rifol.org or www.cralri.org for all kinds of info. Some towns are easy, some are are hard.

Getting a permit in CT, NH and Maine are very easy once you have a RI permit. MA is hard and VT has no permit. No nonresident permit exists for NY.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
hermannr

NY is worse than no non-resident permit...there is no means for non-resident possession of a handgun, unless you are competing in a sanctioned event, or you are transporting under federal law.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

The Georgia bill doesn't look like it's going to make it this session.