The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
milsurpman

mauser rifle id

I've got an 8mm Mauser that i'm havin g trouble identifying. It is not a 98k, has a straight bolt handle, wooden shroud surrounding the rear sight, and the steel ring in the butt end of the stock. It is a 3 position safety, 3 safety lugs, and cocks on opening the bolt. The only real marking on this rifle is kind of an A with almost like a flag marking underneath it with 1954 underneath it and these are both on top of the reciever. It also has a 1968 stampedo!n the side of the ring and a 98 th. Stamped on the side of the receiver. It also has what i've been told is a finnish cross on the underbelly of the stock just forward of the trigger guard/magazine plate. It also does have the typical model 98 trigger guard safety screws and the number 265 stamped on the base of the bolt handle. Any other inquiries please ask and if ANYONE has any input or info on this rifle I'd greatly appreciate it. It's deadly accurate with a very smooth action and tight tolerances. I can't post pics yet but meybe soon. Also any reference web sites would rock. Thank ya ladies and gents.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
gyvel

Pictures are a must.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:23 AM   #3
milsurpman

I'll try to get some on in the morning. I know they'll help.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
PetahW

If it looks like the one below, it's a Turkish rebuild of a bunch of rifles in 1954 using some WWI Gew 98's.
These have had the receiver ring shortened to make a hand guard holder.
If it's one of these, it may not be the safest rifle to shoot, due to the shortened receiver.

Old March 4, 2012, 07:48 PM   #5
milsurpman

That is very similar to it. Thank you for the info. I'll keep an eye on it for tolerances and all, but as I said I've probably fired over 200 rounds through it since I purchased it in december and have had nothing but success and pleasure with this tack driver. And I can't complain for picking it up for $100 in very decent shape. Thanks again man, and so you have any idea what the 1968 stamping may mean or the very small "finnish cross?"I
Old March 5, 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
PetahW

With a Finnish mark on the stock, I would say that someone has put a stock from a Finnish issue rifle onto that Turk - making it a very rare "Finnkey" (or, "Turkfinn") Mauser.

Old March 5, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
milsurpman

Lmao. Now if I could ever get someone to believe that if I go to sell it. Oh well, mutt or not, this gun is a beast, a very accurate beast.

Tags
8x57mm , german , mauser , model 98 , rifle