The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2010, 12:47 PM   #26
Armed Citizen

Sounds fair to me Uncle Buck, if you help out you can hunt if not find somewhere else and see how good you really had it
Old August 25, 2010, 01:16 PM   #27
Legionnaire

If I weren't so far away, I'd volunteer to help out ... just to give you opportunity to say there's a guy who DID who will be hunting the property!

In actuality, I hunt private land up in NY regularly, and believe me, relationship is the key. I've cut paths, helped place posted signs, cleaned up trash, taught owners' kids to shoot ... it's all part of the relationship that allows me to hunt anually.

I think you should help your family understand the quid pro quo, but I'm with those who suggest an earlier rather than later communication. If they get resentful, you'll know what your dealing with, and good riddance to 'em. But if they "get it," you could win them back.
Old August 26, 2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Uncle Buck

It is a funny thing that happened after I posted. One of our tenants, a young college kid, who always has time to say hello, asked if he might be able to hunt this fall. If he sees us carrying a pail of feed, or Mrs. Buck carrying groceries, he is almost always there to help. (His girl friend is the same way!)

Anyway, I was trying to fix a piece of broken wire and he came across the bridge and said "I'll pull that tight if you want to nail it." As we were fixing the broken wire, he asked if he might be able to hunt this fall and that he would be willing to pay.

Now I only have twenty acres here and I would never charge (I don't think I would) anyone to hunt it. I have gotten more work out of him in the last three months than I have in the entire family in the last two years. We took a walk up the hill and I showed him where I hunt and the paths that I had cleared and told him he could pick a place anywhere except where I hunt and he could have it.

He asked smart questions, such as "Whats in that direction?" and then wanted to know if he could walk the property line and the adjacent 40 acres I rent.

I decided to let him hunt because he is a real person who likes to help others, not just a once a year sort of guy. He has also provided me with a very good reason to let my nephew and his father (Brother in law) know that they will not be hunting this year. (By the time hunting season gets here, the trails are already cut, Neil has marked his tree stand location and an alternate location and will have cut two more trails and cleared brush from his shooting lanes.)

It felt good to rant about the family and listen to you guys respond. So thanks.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; August 29, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:16 AM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That is great news! YEP!!! Too small of a plot to have very many on it... looks like the place is Hunter rich for the season and with some good luck you and he will be deer rich at the end!

Brent
Old August 26, 2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Scout

He sounds like a good kid.
Old August 26, 2010, 12:43 PM   #31
TheGoldenState

funny how things work out eh
Old August 26, 2010, 12:55 PM   #32
Legionnaire

Excellent! Thanks for the update. As I said, relationship is everything! Have a great season, and good luck to both of you.
Old August 26, 2010, 02:30 PM   #33
imacanuk

I think you should buy a copy of "The Little Red Hen". The children's book where no one would help, and so the hen did all the work. When the reward was ready [the baked bread] everyone that wouldn't help wanted some, and the hen said 'No Way!'
So, get a copy of the book and mail it to your nephew. No letter, nothing but the book. when he calls to ask about hunting just ask him if he read the book. When he says he hasn't read the book, tell him to read the book and he'll understand your answer.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:36 PM   #34
shafter

I would have given them a deadline. Cut the trails before xx/xx/ or you don't hunt this year. If its a good place to hunt you can bet the trails will be cut next year.
Old August 26, 2010, 09:35 PM   #35
doofus47

Those kinds of stories don't often have happy endings.

Thanks for sharing
Old August 30, 2010, 01:41 AM   #36
Dallas Jack

A friend of mine has sorta managed (he was the one the rancher held responsible) several deer leases over the years. He did 2 things. 1) Always write down the rules and hold everyone to them and 2) Always be up front and truthfull to them (the hunters). He had to kick several people off leases for breaking the rules, including cousins, nephews, and old friends . Kinda sucks but you do what you have to.

Since it's your land it's your rules. Good luck.
Dallas Jack
Old August 30, 2010, 08:43 PM   #37
publius

You shouldn't feel guilty about not letting them hunt, and damn any hard feelings. They should be ashamed and this should be the end of it, no second trys next year, you wore out your welcome. The kid you are letting hunt is the way people should be expected of handling themselves. I always help somebody out if I can and don't expect anything in return, but some people would be surprised at the gains from helping someone when it isn't expected. This one time I stopped and helped this hot girl change a tire......