The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 18, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Sgt.Saputo

First coyote hunt?

So I have never gone coyote hunting. We have been having trouble with coyotes where we live and I am thinking about getting a friend to go hunting with me. Are there any pointers you can give me for my first hunt?

I have been hunting deer, turkey, and small game for some time now but never coyote. I have been told coyotes are extremely smart compared to other game.

One question I have is what to do about Camo? I have a ghillie suit but didn't know if that was overkill. I just want to hear the things that beginners should know, if that makes sense .

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 18, 2010, 10:41 PM   #2
BIG P

would like to help but need a little more info.what part of the country are you in are you huntin woods,plains,farm land? using rifle,shotgun,
no your ghille aint over kill at all its a good idea.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Sgt.Saputo

Yeah sorry about the lack of detail, I was cooking at the time and was in a bit of a hurry . I live in NW PA and will be hunting in a wooded area. Gonna be using a rifle, not sure which one yet.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 19, 2010, 11:43 AM   #4
GAR700

I can only offer advise from an open ground hunting standpoint. I think most of these principals are the same for wooded areas.
I have found that having vegetation obscuring your profile is much more important than having a specific type of Camo. You want to make sure your outline is not visible (skylined, outlined against a big rock, or building) The shade of your camo is much more important than the pattern as long as the pattern is not solid colors. The gillie suit is not overkill if it works.
Be mindful of the wind diredtion and make sure you have a shooting lane or two. Coyotes usually will utilize cover but will follow game trails or roads when available.
Electronic calls offer a huge advantage for a couple reasons. One reason is that the sounds are recorded so you can't really screw them up. Another is the call operates without the use of your hands so you can always be ready to shoot with minimal movement. The biggest advantage to e-calls, in my mind, is that you can set the call up away from you so that an approaching coyote is not looking directly toward you trying to find the source of the noise.
The biggest piece of advise I can offer is to have patience. They come charging in quick sometimes but most of the time they are wary and approach silently and slowly. You need a spot where you can sit comfortably without fidgeting (my problem).
I am by no means an expert but those are some of the things i think about.
Good luck,
GAR
Old August 19, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
BIG P

I do get to hunt alittle in PA.myself family has small farm outside Erie.
look for trails/tracks/dropings with hair in it if you can identify the hair you use that critter for bait where it is legal.tuna,sardins,works also.here in the south it is still pretty hot so most of the move is early dawn/dark.I use blinds to conseal scent try to set up a day or two before the hunt if huntin pressure on them aint high you have a good chance to get afew it dont take long they catch on.I use fast action rifle flat shootin ar 223-270 pump to 200yrds.use rabbit distress call help also.pick a few set ups spots to play the wind and max your view. hope this helps some. IT works for me
GOOD LUCK BE SAFE
Old August 24, 2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Sgt.Saputo

Yeah we got rained out. It hasn't rained in weeks and the day we are going hunting it pours, not normal rain but un-Godly water artillery. It rained until 7:30 the next morning .