The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1
relientk1988

Newbie question

Hey,

I recently bought a .410 shotgun and the ammo prices are terrible. I also shoot .38/.357 and 12 and 20 gauge. I would like to start reloading but don't know exactly where to start. Is there a reloading machine that can change dies to do handgun ammunition or shotshells? What's the basic process? I'm getting a book from the library, but any advance information would be great.

Thnks,
Ben
Old April 18, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
hivel37

Welcome!
To my knowledge, there is no currently made machine that handles both metallic and shotshell cartridges.
Read all you can get your hands on. Buy at least one manual. This will get you started.
When it comes to equipment, some will tell you buy this and don't buy the other piece of junk. All manufacturers build gear that works. Depends on how much you want to invest.
There is a world of knowledge/bull on this forum. Read and digest wisely.
Old April 19, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
relientk1988

thanks

Thanks,

I didn't think I'd be able to do both but it would've been nice. But I'd definetly like to reload the .410 because of price and heard it is a good hobby, plus it's relaxing. Is there a press that'll reload 12/20/.410?

Thanks for the help,

Ben
Old April 19, 2005, 05:16 AM   #4
Dogjaw

Look into a MEC 600 jr for .410, or the sizemaster.

For metallic reloading, look into Dillon presses. They're the best.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old April 19, 2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I load for all 4 guages, well 3 plus a caliber ((.410)). I use MEC presses for all of them. I know MEC makes conversion dies for their presses but it is such a pain to change them and recalibrate them that I just bought 4 presses.
Lee makes an inexpensive tool but just in 12 and 20 guages. Look around at used MEC presses, you can sometimes find one very cheap.
At one time someone?? used to make a press that you could do metalic and shotgun shells on by changing the dies etc. If I had to guess it might have been Herters (long since out of business). Again, the die changing routine would certainly remove any interest I would have in one if they were made.MEC probably makes the least expensive .410 press available today and I have seen them on line for around $100 +/-. With .410 and 28 guage shells running around $7.00 a box, it wont take long for a press to pay for itself.