The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1
Captain204mike

Trigger Questions

hello all
i have a Para SSP 45 that has the grip safety and the thumb safety and is brand new, when dry firing this gun everything feels perfect, the trigger is very nice feeling and light, can dry fire all day and no problems at all
so my question is when i have a bullet in the chamber and try to fire the gun it seems that i pull the trigger and it wont activate the hammer like maybe i dont have the grip safety all the way in or something, i have no idea what could be the problem, but i have the grip safety all the way in,but i mess with the trigger it will fire
any suggestions on the problem and what to do
does this gun just need shot more to break it in or what
Thanks
Mike
Old January 3, 2005, 08:26 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

Shooting long reloads? Is the gun all the way in battery?
Old January 3, 2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Captain204mike

not sure what you mean by battery, plus these are just factory loads
thanks for the reply
Old January 3, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

Meaning is the slide fully forward? Just a little bit can keep the hammer from falling.
Old January 4, 2005, 03:53 AM   #5
mc_oliver

Try taping the grip safety in then shoot the gun. If the problem disappears, you have trouble disengaging the grip safety. If the problem persists, you need a competent smith to take a look at your internal fire controls.
Old January 4, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Clemson

Try different ammo. I have a gun with a match chamber that absolutely won't chamber "American" brand ammunition. Get some Winchester white box stuff from Walmart and try it.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 22, 2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

trigger on 45

Dear Sir:
When I fit a grip safety with the trigger in the gun and mainspring housing all the way in and pinned properly I pull the grip safety all the way out. The trigger should stop on the grip safety - keep tension on the trigger to the rear and push in on the grip safety, clear in. The trigger should then move to the rear fully, and, you should just barely have to push the grip safey in before the trigger goes clear back. In other words with the gun assembled and the slide clear forward, you should just barely have to grip the gun to release the grip safety. As the other guys are saying, "is your slide all the way forward" If not the disconnecter will not contact the legs and thus the sear. With this question there are so many variable causes I feel they are doing you a favor by sending you to a good smith!
Good Shooting guy!
Old January 22, 2005, 11:55 PM   #8
Bill Z

Will it dry fire with a magazine inserted and no round in the chamber? Will it fire with a round in the chamber and no mag inserted?

If it's not a long round/shorth chamber that is preventing the slide from going fully into battery I wonder if it could be mag catch related. If there is a little play wioth the mag catch and the trigger has an overtravel screw that is turned too far in, the combination of the two might just cause this. I've not seen this situation, but am just trying to think of a few things I might start with if I had it on my bench.

See if it will dry fire with an empty chamber and an empty magazine inserted. If not, we might have a culprit.
Old January 23, 2005, 04:52 PM   #9
Dave Sample

Sounds like the trigger stirrup to me.
Old January 24, 2005, 11:43 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does this happen on the first round, never on the first round, on all rounds, or on some rounds? If only on the first round, it could be caused by easing the slide down to load the first round rather than pulling it back and letting it go. Sometimes, easing the slide down allows it to stop out of battery, or the gentle approach does not let the disconnector re-engage.

Jim