The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 5, 2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Dwight55

Marlin Pump Sticky Chamber

My son has a Marlin 12 ga pump. It is really a great shotgun except for one small thing: when shooting almost any birdshot type load in it, . . . the empty shell does not want to come out. It takes a full length (stout) rod to punch the empty out. Shooting deer slugs and it doesn't seem to do it as much.
Anybody got a clue?
Thanks for your help, may God bless,
Dwight
Old July 12, 2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Runngun

Are you using the steel based "Wal-Mart" value packs, or for that matter, any steel based ammo? I ask because my 870's hang up about 40% of the time with the cheap birdshot loads, but the slug loads you use are brass headed I'm sure. If the shells you are using have a silver colored base, that is steel. You can try polishing the chamber with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush, but I have done this to my pumps with no appreciable improvement. I am going to shoot up the rest of my steel base loads and spend a little more for good ammo from here on out.

Pat Brophy
Old July 14, 2004, 08:15 PM   #3
paul salchow

what does the base of the hull look like after firing,is it like new or flared or other.
Old July 16, 2004, 09:12 PM   #4
Dwight55

Runngun: we've used everything from Odd Lots specials ($3.00 a box) to WW Super X, . . . all seems to be the same except the slugs.
Paul: they look pretty much like they came out of the box. I looked for a swelled brass or casing and could not find either.
I thought about polishing the chamber with some very fine valve grinding compound but was a bit afraid as I don't want to take off too much. Have never done that except to valves in a small engine.
Anyway, . . . thanks for the suggestions, . . . let me know if you have any further thoughts.
May God bless,
Dwight
Old July 18, 2004, 05:07 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Check the chamber length. Depending on the age of the gun you may have short chambers (less than 2 3/4")

Also check the extractor, it may not be functioning properly.