The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2017, 09:56 AM   #1
edteach

Heads up on Pietta Griswold

I bought a Pietta Griswold from Cheaper than Dirt. The photo on their site and on Traditions an importer of Pietta show the same photo. A straight cyl no roll mark no step up frame. What you get is a brass frame 1851 navy or 60 army type with a griswold round barrel. Not like the photo. If you just want to shoot no problem but if you want a closer reproduction to the G&G this aint what your going to get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FR185115.jpg (69.4 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1325.JPG (237.4 KB, 243 views)
Old March 3, 2017, 10:58 AM   #2
OutlawJoseyWales

Did the ad say you were going to get a .36 or a .44?

I'm sure you know that is the difference between the two pictures.

Is it possible they simply sent you the wrong pistol? However, most of these I've seen are the .44 cal ones like you had shipped to you.
Old March 3, 2017, 11:14 AM   #3
edteach

They only have the G&G in 44 today. The photo I showed is for the exact same model number I got. I am sure they just have not updated photos or don't see the difference. If your going to just shoot it fine but if you want what you ordered it is a PITA
Old March 3, 2017, 02:14 PM   #4
BlackPowderBen

Cabelas has Griswold and Gunnison's in .36 caliber if that is what you're looking for.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:37 PM   #5
edteach

Cabelas does not sell the 36 Griswold any longer.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:31 PM   #6
jmar

Griswolds have indeed been made by Pietta recently. They're definitely out there. The gun you got was probably just a mistake, i'd send it back and tell them what's wrong.
Old March 3, 2017, 11:36 PM   #7
ThomasT

Quote:
I bought a Pietta Griswold from Cheaper than Dirt.
Cheaper Than Dirt? Your first mistake.
Old March 4, 2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Griswolds have indeed been made by Pietta recently.
Cabela's will probably have them back. I have one made in 2015.

Old March 4, 2017, 07:02 AM   #9
edteach

I will keep an eye out at Cabelas. They have the best prices. I have a lemat on back order with them
Old March 4, 2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Model12Win

Looks close enough for the masses. Few care about historical correctivity.
Old March 4, 2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Irish Jack

I picked an 1851 .36 Mason Dixon Commemorative.It was made in 2002 by Armi San Marcus. It was in the box unfired. It has a nickle finish and I did not know it was a brass frame.
I bought it to shoot. I own many steel frame revolvers. But I would like advise on shooting this brass frame? Everything out there says they will shoot lose even with light loads.
Old March 4, 2017, 12:57 PM   #12
Hawg

Keep your loads under 20 grains and it should last a long time.
Old March 4, 2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Looks close enough for the masses. Few care about historical correctivity.
Most of the "masses" wouldn't know a Griswold if it walked up and slapped them.
Old March 4, 2017, 05:12 PM   #14
Hellgate

I'm glad to see the more traditional Colt grip shape.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 4, 2017, 05:55 PM   #15
AKexpat

Cabela's states that one can no longer order the Pietta G&G .36 from their online store. Maybe give them a jingle at the 800 number.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Piett...er/1167468.uts

This next one, if still for sale, is a Pietta G&G .36 (2014 [CM] or earlier with the "tail grip, and I have no problem insofar as the "tail": it is a collector item from now on, since it is no longer being produced). For $185 + $15 shipping it looks like a deal to me if in like-new condition (nothing wrong with brass patina):

http://www.armslist.com/posts/152580...ssion-revolver

Hawg is correct: his Pietta G&G .36 is a 2015 [CN] with the newer, more "conventional" grip style. Pietta no longer produces the "tail" profile. To my knowledge, Pietta never produced a G&G in .44.

My Pietta G&G .36 (2015 [CN]), just to state that at least two forum members have the same thing, and that it is not an anomaly. I paid $220 for it over a year ago from Cabela's:

Don't give up trying to acquire a Pietta G&G .36. If you have other Pietta 1851 Navy type pistols made after ~2000 (CNC machining), the G&G part round/part octagon barrel and the plain cylinder will allow you to create a Leech and Rigdon:

and other "fantasy" pistols, like my favorite 1851 Navy .36 Dragoon:

I would like to weigh in insofar as Pietta 1851 Navy type .44 pistols.

As Hawg would surely point out, no Pietta (or other) 1851 Navy replica type in .44 is historically correct.

However...

Pietta markets a "copy" of a J.H Dance and Brothers .44 pistol. The curious thing about this pistol is that it has been created using an 1851 Navy type steel frame, the cylinder is not rebated, and the water table is not cut for a rebated cylinder. However, the cylinder is much larger in diameter than a .36 Navy cylinder, so the water table must have been milled to fit and the bolt must have been modified. These parts are not interchangeable with any other Pietta 1851 Navy type pistol.

I have longed for a Dance .36, and why Pietta did not just mill off the ears of the recoil shields on their 1851 Navy steel frame, install a part round/part octagon .36 barrel (from G&G production) is beyond me. A genuine Dance .36 is rare but not unknown by far. And the parts would have been completely interchangeable between like Pietta 1851 pistols. As it is, it is one of a kind.

Collectible for that reason? Absolutely, but I don't want one.

And the prices I have seen for one of their Dance revolvers is just obscene to me.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...roducts_id=883

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1862-...er-pietta.html

Sorry, I digress from the OP.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; March 4, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old March 4, 2017, 06:40 PM   #16
AKexpat

@hellgate:

Quote:
I'm glad to see the more traditional Colt grip shape.
Do yourself a favor and buy or borrow a copy of " '51 Colt Navies" by Nathan L. Swayze (1967), replete with all photos of originals, no repros.

After that, come back and tell us all what the correct shape and configuration of 1851 Navy Colts are. Notice the differences in the trigger lengths, also.

Looking forward to that.

Here is just a sample (and please read the comments about the other differences in these Third Model pistols from the author):

Chuckle.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; March 4, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:14 PM   #17
Bishop Creek

Harpers Weekly ad from 1863 showing strange grips:

Old March 4, 2017, 07:51 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
Pietta no longer produces the "tail" profile. To my knowledge, Pietta never produced a G&G in .44.
I made the mistake of saying they did once and was quickly trounced upon and told it was a Reb Navy. That is how they advertised it but it's still a .44 G&G. The new grip profile is closer to a Colt grip than anything they did before. Yes Colt had a little flare on the back strap for awhile but not the deep curve on the front strap that gave them the trumpet shape.
Old March 6, 2017, 09:29 AM   #19
edteach

I have to say CTD walked up to the plate. They called me and gave me a 100 dollar gift cert. to keep the gun. Can not beat that.
Old March 6, 2017, 07:15 PM   #20
AKexpat

Quote:
I have to say CTD walked up to the plate. They called me and gave me a 100 dollar gift cert. to keep the gun. Can not beat that.
Well, sir, I really don't want to ruffle your feathers, but you seem to be a cheap date, even though you probably got the most you could in this situation.

Please hear me out, sir.

You now own a 1851 Navy type .44 brasser. It is no where near the G&G .36 you were looking for, and is no way anywhere near an historical C&B pistol. As a shooter it will only survive with small loads (compared to a Navy steel frame).

And you are now in possession of a CTD gift certificate that can only be spent at CTD.

Use it and buy some ammo for any centerfire pistol or rifle you have and be done with CTD. As another poster has stated with CTD, basically fuggetaboutit.

There have been other links posted in this thread about other better sources for a Pietta G&G .36.

I wish you luck with your G&G search.

Jim
Old March 6, 2017, 07:33 PM   #21
edteach

I used the 100 dollars plus the coupon code to get shipped a steel frame 1860 for 190 to my door. Not bad. I see these piettas go for 230 give or take used on GB. I have a sale for my brasser and have a buy for a pietta dance brothers 44 so it will be even up.
Old March 9, 2017, 09:17 PM   #22
drobs

If both the 1860 you just bought and the brasser 44 are Pietta, the parts will interchange.

Keep the brasser for spare parts / spare cylinder.
Old March 9, 2017, 09:42 PM   #23
edteach

I sold the brass frame and bought a pietta dance brothers 44
Old March 10, 2017, 05:35 AM   #24
Beagle333

Nice! The Dance is still on my "I want" list.
Have a Colt and a smile.