The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2018, 12:46 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

All of my experience with Tupperware wheel gins has been positive. My first was a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly. Great gun. Flawless function, surprisingly accurate with 45 Colt, and tight buckshot patterns @ 10 yards with .410.
My other is a Ruger LCR 38Spcl. I bought the 38 over the 357 because of the weight difference. The extra couple ounces in the Magnum was quite noticeable to me. My plastic Ruger is also reliable, and accuracy exceeds that necessary for a CC self defense
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2018, 03:35 PM   #27
gwpercle

When it comes to plastic guns.....I just say NO !
No plastic semi auto's , No plastic revolvers.
Stainless steel is acceptable and Air-weight J frames are allowed.
But NO plastic guns I don't care if I can print them on my 3-d computer printer app thingy.
Gary
Old March 14, 2018, 01:46 AM   #28
Radny97

Polymer revolver opinions?

I have owned 3 LCRs, a j frame and a Charter. Shot lots out of all of them. All 38 except one LCR in 357. In my opinion they are all about the same in terms of recoil. The LCR is a solid gun. Best stock trigger in a snubby hands down. Strong and well built.
Ultimately two things led me to get rid of my LCRs.
First, although they are the same barrel length, the LCR is dimensionally bigger in most other areas than other brands of aluminum framed guns. Trigger guard, frame and barrel width, etc. are all bigger. Even though the spec sheet says the overall length, height and cylinder width is the same, the other non-standard measurements were all larger. Since i pocket carry, the larger dimensions were a little too big and i moved to the smaller j-frame.
Second, after tons of range trips and trying lots of different ammo (factory and my own handloads) i found that the LCR is not very accurate comparatively. Yes they all will group 3 inches at 15 yards but for some of my outdoor uses i wanted more. It took me a long time to figure out why i couldn’t group as well with three different LCRs than i could with my Charter or my j-frame, even though the LCR has a much better trigger. It’s the two piece non-tensioned barrel. Most larger framed two piece barreled revolvers (S&W TRR8, Dan Wesson) are tensioned so that the barrel vibrates consistently when a bullet runs down it which maintains accuracy. If it’s not tensioned, it negatively affects accuracy. Not a lot mind you, but a small amount. 99% of shooters won’t notice or care about this issue, because they’re shooting at self defense distances and the LCR really shines in that capacity, but for my particular circumstances i wanted the ability to make an accurate long distance shot, and not one of my 3 LCRs were up to the task (including a three inch adjustable sight LCR). So i went with a j-frame that i can group within 3 inches at 25 yards.
Old March 14, 2018, 06:17 AM   #29
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... the LCR is dimensionally bigger in most other areas than other brands of aluminum framed guns. ...
The grips are the only place I really notice it being bigger but they do enough for recoil mitigation that I don't care. The LCR 38 still disappears with a pocket holster in most pants. The 357 and 327 models have a slightly larger frame but they basically follow the same rules as far as pants go.

Quote:
i found that the LCR is not very accurate comparatively. ... Not a lot mind you, but a small amount. 99% of shooters won’t notice or care about this issue ... but for my particular circumstances i wanted the ability to make an accurate long distance shot...
I never noticed an accuracy issue but I have to be honest. I haven't shot paper in years. My shooting regimen largely involves aerating the recycling and other assorted doodads I can set up around the clearing on a weekend. I'm guessing any variance is much smaller than a soda can at 20-30 feet. I really don't ask any more of a snub-nosed revolver, much less a DAO.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has experience with the longer-barreled LCRx.
Old March 14, 2018, 08:54 PM   #30
samsmix

I bought a Taurus Poly Protector in .38 Special for $150. Figured it would be good trading stock.

As it turns out, this crude, ugly, ungainly little hand gat will hit anything I aim at out to about 30 yards. I was impressed enough to keep it arou d.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old March 15, 2018, 10:03 PM   #31
ifithitu

I like plastic.I have many in revolvers and semi pistols.
Old March 16, 2018, 12:14 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

I don't care for plastic on revolvers at all, and not a fan of it on semis, either, but then I look at things differently than most, I think.

Last ditch, bottom line, when all else fails (and it could) your pistol is an impact weapon. personally I like something with at least a little heft to it, for that reason (plus damping some recoil) and am willing to put up with, and carry guns that aren't the lightest possible.

just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it...
Old March 16, 2018, 05:01 AM   #33
Road_Clam

My wife bought the LCR in .38 and it shoots accurate, functions perfect, however the felt recoil is harsh. Very lightweight and compact frame will have it's disadvantages.
Old March 19, 2018, 02:49 AM   #34
Nakanokalronin

I really like my 38spl LCR. It weighs 12.7 ounces in this configuration.

Old March 19, 2018, 07:48 AM   #35
USSR

Quote:
I don't care for plastic on revolvers at all, and not a fan of it on semis, either, but then I look at things differently than most, I think.
You're not alone, 44 AMP.

Don
Old March 19, 2018, 06:28 PM   #36
Hal

I'll pass....

Only because @ this point there isn't one I'd be interested in owning.

I have better guns for any purpose that I can think of where a small poly 5 shot revolver would fit.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:50 PM   #37
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... there isn't one I'd be interested in owning.

I have better guns for any purpose that I can think of where a small poly 5 shot revolver would fit.
Once you have a few guns that fill different roles, this becomes an important consideration. The LCR might fit into different roles for some people but I treat it as a pocket gun. I think in a lot of cases, that could put it up against small semi-autos where six or seven shots might be common. Some of those guns will be in 9mm, which is more powerful than .38 special and easier to handle than .357 magnum.

This is where the LCR 327 comes in. It competes more evenly as a six-shooter. The little super-magnum might be closer to 9mm power levels from such a short barrel* but that's fine. It's fairly easy to shoot. With these other issues equalized, it also allows that old "revolver reliability" to shine and doubly so as a snag-free DAO. Speaking of, the double-action trigger is pretty sweet on the center-fire LCR.

*Note: I had previously looked at Ballistics by the Inch for an approximation but real-world chronograph data for the LCR 327 is much more favorable. Tests done for two separate reviews on Daily Caller listed velocities in excess of 1250 fps for different 100-115 grain loads in the LCR 327. Most of the data I could find for the LCR 9mm had 115-124 grain projectiles going just over 1000 fps.

Last edited by Cosmodragoon; March 21, 2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Data Issue (see note)
Old March 21, 2018, 02:38 AM   #38
Hal

Cosmodragoon - there is some merit in what you say about the .327...but...
I'm still set with the battery I have,,,, all things considered.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:23 AM   #39
Oldman11

I don’t want one of them (girly) plastic guns,make mine steel.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:19 PM   #40
MillCreek

I have had one of the Ruger LCR in .38 for a couple of years now; reliable, rugged and has as much recoil as any other of my revolvers of equivalent weight. I have a Taurus Protector Poly stainless .357 inbound and will report back when it arrives. It is going to be my outdoor activity (hiking, biking, snowshoeing. XC skiing) firearm. I got tired of waiting for Ruger to release the LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel.

What I really regret is that Taurus no longer makes any titanium revolvers. I have several Taurus revolvers, to go along with my Ruger and S&W models, and they have all been reliable.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old March 22, 2018, 11:48 PM   #41
bbqncigars

The other thing to consider about a pocket carry gun is the worst case scenario: you don't have enough time to draw the gun. Any pocket pistol that I have will reliably shoot once from inside the pocket. My confidence is negligible in a follow up shot in my current semi-autos in that situation. It's for that reason I'm contemplating something like an LCR. Five or six shots with a small likelihood of jamming. I'll gladly trade a large ragged hole in my pants for a few holes in a scumbag.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:32 AM   #42
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I got tired of waiting for Ruger to release the LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel. ...
I think this has to do with needing a whole new frame. Remember that the LCR 38 and rimfire models are built on a smaller, lighter frame. The LCR 357, 327, and 9mm have a slightly larger steel frame that was developed later. The LCRx followed suit by releasing the lighter-framed models first. The heavier-framed LCRx models came later once the trail had already been blazed. The 3" LCRx is the newest kid on the block and it too has been crafted with a light frame. I hope to see 3" models in those heavier calibers but I understand that it's going to take some extra engineering and creativity on Ruger's part. In the mean time, I think the design of the 3" model is actually rather attractive.

Old March 24, 2018, 11:19 AM   #43
MillCreek

^^^When it comes out, the LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel will be my new trail gun.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old March 25, 2018, 02:39 AM   #44
Cosmodragoon

I hear that, MillCreek. I'd be in line to buy a 3" LCRx in .327 Fed Mag on day one. That'd be six shots from ultra-mild to fairly wild on a perfect platform. It would be a dandy small game and plinking gun in .32 S&W Long. It would be a terrific self-defense gun with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I almost scratched my kit-gun itch on the current, six-shot, 3" LCRx in .22 WMR. The problem besides a relatively low upper limit on power is that it's rimfire. Even if .22 magnum is more reliable than .22 LR, I'll always have more faith in centerfire. I also feel like the heavier trigger pull undercuts one of the LCR's best features.
Old March 25, 2018, 05:22 AM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

One thing about my LCR9mm is the fact that I find it just darn fun to shoot. All these comments about the Polymer frame aluminum chassis, would be a bid deal for to me on my experience with say a LCP where I will not own another. I have moved on to all stainless steel with a modular grip and never looked back.
That said, the LCR is one exception. It is built like a tank. Ruger really got this one right. Proof seems to be in the Pudding as they say, and these guns can run and run. Many reports of 10,000 Plus. My LCR9mm has proven itself to be a fighter. A whole lot of ammo down range and just keeps on trucking. As One description of the gun is "The Glock of Revolvers". Maybe not pretty, but tough.
The Trigger speaks for itself and has proven to be one of the best designs to come along in decades and only gets better with time. One smooth operator baby! The comment that Ruger triggers are gritty, just tells me that the owner just does not shoot it very much as the trigger is basically self polishing.
Recoil is IMO on this gun, to be mild. The more you shoot it, the more you become accustomed to it, to the point that I feel I could shoot this gun all day.
Yes, Polymer would be a bid deal if you started seeing cracks, spits in the frame and on and on. However they designed this gun well. Obviously the stress points are not receiving the stress and not affecting the gun.
No matter how you cut it, the LCR's are built tough.
Love the fact that I can own one in 22.cal as a inexpensive trainer and just more double your fun at the range.

Ironically, a thousand rounds of American Eagle, one of my LCR9mm's favorite ammo arrived on my door step last night. I felt I could hear him just jumping around inside of the safe all last night in anticipation of devouring all of it. I will go to the range today, try and hold him back to just the customary feeding of 150-200 rounds each week.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 25, 2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old March 25, 2018, 01:14 PM   #46
WheelGunMan

Quote:
When it comes out, the LCRx in .357 with a 3 inch barrel will be my new trail gun.
My goal also...until then I'm getting one in .22 WMR
Old March 25, 2018, 01:24 PM   #47
Crankgrinder

I have owned the .38 short barrel version probably around five years now. Love it. It's small, light, simple. It is the one i go to on hot days or when I'm traveling light. I'm not worried about what other people might be carrying i don't compete with them and it's not the most bullets or the strongest it's the one it's the one that hits : )
Old March 25, 2018, 01:36 PM   #48
HighValleyRanch

So I have the 3" LCRX as a trail gun.
I chronographed the Buffalobore .38 +P 158 grain keith hardcast out of it at 1076, 1087
giving a muzzle energy of 415 foot pounds. Now that is low end .357 magnum but very controllable still.
When you consider that the guide killed the grizzly in Alaska with his 9mm with BB out doorman that is rated at only 336 foot pounds ME, makes you wonder if that .38 +P wouldn't also do the job give proper shot placement.

Shooting the BB 9mm +P outdoorsman out of my Shield I got 1014, 1014 for 336 ft# ME.
Note: I don't have grizzlies in my woods, just Black bears and big cats.

But I also am waiting for the .357 version to come out as well. Already have the short barrel LCR.
Old March 25, 2018, 02:03 PM   #49
Big Motor

I personally think that they are a good idea, and if I had a .357 snub, I would want it to be a polymer.
Old March 25, 2018, 02:04 PM   #50
Rafsob

I won three of the LCR models of Ruger, 22lr, 327 Fed. and the .357 Mag. Love them all. I use the .22 for target practice and gun handling. Still up in the air on the .327 Fed. It shoots nice but does have a kick. Have not tried any other of the .32 caliber rounds through it yet.

I have had thee guns for a few years and no issues. Great gun.