The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 21, 2019, 08:45 PM   #1
ReloadKy

Savage 110 Hunter or Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long range

I have enough cabela's gift cards and points on my cabelas credit to buy myself a new rifle. I cannot make up my mind what I want. I was originally sold on the Browning X-bolt stalker long range but now I am leaning towards the savage 110 hunter with accufit stock. Caliber will be either 6.5 CM or 7mm-08. I love the feel of the Browning x-bolt and I hear remarkable reviews about their accuracy. However, the savage feels good too and the versatility of the accufit stock (i have a young son and wife that also enjoy shooting and hunting) appeals to me. The purpose of the rifle will be deer hunting and a lot of shooting as I will be reloading for this rifle. Anybody with experience with either rifle or the ability to help me come to a definitive decision?
Old December 21, 2019, 10:32 PM   #2
GeauxTide

I have a Savage 16 LH in 260. It has Accustock and Accutrigger and I absolutely love it. First rifle I've ever had that throws everything into 1/2". I've only explored 2 loads, a 100gr and a 125gr Partition. I'm a 6.5 Loony, as I also have 6.5-06 and Grendel. I'd get the CM in your place. 100gr BT or Partition for the wife and son and I highly recommend the 123gr SST. In my Grendel, it shoots .2" in five shots.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:44 PM   #3
jmr40

I'd stick with 6.5CM for a lot of reasons. Of the 2 I'd lean toward the Savage based primarily on reputation. The Browning may be the better choice, but I know Savage is never a bad choice. I don't know as much about the Browning.

I'd also look at Tikka before pulling the trigger. That is my personal pick, but once again, Savage is never a bad choice.

Winston Churchill
Old December 21, 2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Wyosmith

Browning is prettier and have slick actions . Savages are not bad at all however.

Between the 7-08 or the 6.5 CM for deer alone the 7MM give you no advantage at all over the 6.5 MM and the 6.5 kicks less and over time in firing many rounds, that can be helpful. Also the 6.5 CM is very well supported as far as the accuracy game is concerned. Just be careful to not fall into the trap of using a bullet that is better for targets then game just because it's "more accurate". A smaller groups from one bullet that is not as good at even expansion, penetrating and breaking bone as another bullet that may shoot a bit larger groups is NOT NOT NOT an advantage in hunting. But good hunting bullets are available in the 6.5 too.

I like the selection of 150 and heavier bullets available in the 7MM over the 6.5 MM if you were to want a gun for elk, bear or any animal heavier then deer. (keep in mind I live in Wyoming, so my uses are going to differ from yours) If that is not a realistic expectation (and I expect from the details you wrote in your post it's not) I would go with the 6.5 over the 7MM.

I like pretty guns too, so for me I'd take a Browning X bolt if that was offered to me, but that should not sway you if you like the Savage. The gun doesn't have to please me. Only you.