The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 19, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1
hoghunting

Thanks Mods for your help

Thank you to the Mods that helped with my account. While changing the email address in my profile, I was locked out and could only view the threads, couldn't post or PM. I contacted one of the Mods on THR who forwarded the problem here. Problem has been cleared and my account is back to normal. Thank you for the great work you do on this forum.
Old June 20, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Doyle

To the moderators - this problems sounds like it is the kind of thing that may recure. That calls for a better solution than trying to contact a moderator via another forum. Perhaps there needs to be a way that an individual can IM a moderator even if not logged into the forum - sort of a "guest IM".
Old June 20, 2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Evan Thomas

There is a way for people to contact us with such problems. If you scroll down to the bottom of this (or any) page, you'll see a "Contact Us" link, which lets anyone email the webmaster; we pay attention, and it works.
Old June 20, 2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Doyle

Cool, I didn't know that.
Old June 20, 2014, 12:32 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

hoghunting:

Not that this is particularly relevant now, but I suspect the email change confirms got lost in your spam folder. Are you sure they never got to you, because it appears the emails were accepted by your email provider.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 21, 2014, 09:02 AM   #6
hoghunting

Quote:
but I suspect the email change confirms got lost in your spam folder. Are you sure they never got to you, because it appears the emails were accepted by your email provider
I received the emails - there wasn't a problem with that - it seemed as I was locked out of the forum as every time I clicked onto anything in the email or forum I saw this message:

Quote:
hoghunting, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons...
Thanks to whomever cleared up my account as I enjoy this forum.

Quote:
There is a way for people to contact us with such problems. If you scroll down to the bottom of this (or any) page, you'll see a "Contact Us" link, which lets anyone email the webmaster; we pay attention, and it works
Never checked there, but now I know, thank you.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:08 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Quote:
I received the emails - there wasn't a problem with that - it seemed as I was locked out of the forum as every time I clicked onto anything in the email or forum I saw this message:

Quote:
hoghunting, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons...
That's odd. I'd love to get to the bottom of it but I don't know how to reproduce the problem.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 25, 2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

I don't think there was a technical problem, tyme. It appears hoghunting changed his email address which puts a member in limbo (can view but can't post) until they verify the new address by clicking on a link in an email sent to their new address. He apparently didn't click on that link, and so he stayed locked out of posting. He contacted Art who edited his account moving him back to the "Registered" group on the 19th around 3:30 PM EDT.

(Oh, and I know you know how it all works, this is more for the curious reading this.)
Old June 25, 2014, 10:52 PM   #9
hoghunting

Quote:
He apparently didn't click on that link, and so he stayed locked out of posting
I did click the link Mal, and that's when I saw the message that I didn't have permission to access the page. I didn't have any trouble changing my email address at THR, only when I tried it here.

I wish I could tell you what went wrong, I changed my email address, received the verification email, clicked the link and received the message:

Quote:
then, thankfully, one of the Mods corrected the problem. All I know is I had a problem, you guys fixed it and got me back on board. Thank you.
Old June 25, 2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

By any chance do you still have the email? I would like to take a look at the links in it. If there is a problem with the activation function we need to fix it.
Old June 25, 2014, 11:45 PM   #11
hoghunting

I deleted the email, but checked my Trash folder and Yahoo has already deleted them from the folder. Seems Yahoo only lets email stay 2 or 3 days in the Trash folder before clearing them out. Sorry, Mal, wish I could be more help.
Old June 26, 2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Well, actually you still can help us debug it. I can have another activation email sent to you, and you can see if the first link in it works now.
Old June 26, 2014, 05:05 PM   #13
hoghunting

If it would help you, send another email and I'll try again.