The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
ratrodney

gettin started in reloading.

Hey all.
My buddy and myself are thinkin bout gettin everything we need to reload our own ammo.
Primarily 9mm and. 45acp.
Just a rough idea but how much after buying everything needed of course does reloading actually save you?
Any tips to newbies? Tnx
Old November 12, 2015, 09:09 PM   #2
condor bravo

It varies considerably and will depend to some extent on cost of components. As a start, get the price for 1000 primers, 400 or so pieces of brass, 400 bullets and a pound or two of powder. Then break that down to the cost of loading 50 rounds and compare that against a factory box of 50. But then you have to factor in the cost of equipment to determine when savings will actually begin. It will take some time to actually experience a considerable savings. Just as a rough estimate, consider 250 grains of powder for 50 rounds of handgun ammunition. There are 7000 grains per pound. Do the math and break down the component prices to quantities of 50. Consider loading the recovered cases perhaps 10 times and so much the better if you can pick up some free range brass. Cast bullets will be less expensive than jacketed. Selecting equipment will be more of a major consideration and if budget permits, try not to settle on the least expensive.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 12, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old November 12, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3
toadywart

I reload 9mm hard cast at a cost of 10 cents each, copper plated at 12.5 cents each. I started reloading during the ammo shortage because I could not find any store ammo to buy. I have about 400 dollars in equipment and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to reload 100 bullets. Hope this helps you.
Old November 12, 2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Kosh75287

Obtain at least three, preferably four reloading data manuals. You'll always be in better shape with too much information, that with not enough.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 12, 2015, 10:11 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Save money? LOL. Probably not but you'll shoot 2-3 times more.

Jacketed, you can load for about $16-$17 per 100. Loading my own cast boolits though, I'm at about $6/100.
Old November 12, 2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Sevens

It is going to be 100% true that the more money you can justify spending on buying your components in bulk... the more money you can save. And the opposite is 100% true also.

Just for arguments sake, simply to make a point:
If all your equipment was free and you had tons of great used brass all at the ready and you walked in to Cabela's and you buy a sleeve of 100 primers for $4 plus tax, one pound of powder for $26 plus tax and a box of Hornady XTP bullets for $22 plus tax... you can make some fantastic handloads with those items but your "savings" over buying factory ammo is going to be pennies.

On the far other end of the spectrum:
If you buy your powder in an 8lb jug, you could knock the price down to about $18 per pound. If you find a great deal on a case of 5,000 primers, you could bring them home for about $2.50 per hundred. And the bullet market is often quite volatile, but I'm eating through 16,000 bullets (plated 9mm, 124gr) and I have 7.5 cents per slug on them, shipped to my door.

For a lot of us (the kind of people who spend their free time chatting about handloading ), this hobby is a lot of fun and very rewarding. But it takes a lot of time and energy, and we burn through a lot of components (MONEY) simply trying things, developing loads, learning what works and what doesn't.

Most folks find the hobby quite rewarding. Some high volume shooters don't enjoy it as much as we do but they need the cost savings so they slog through it. Those guys probably save more money than us guys because we are constantly adding gadgets and new bullets and powders and trying new things because we enjoy it.

But the one place we both end up and usually agree upon is just as jwrowland77 said... we spend more money and we shoot a lot, lot, LOT more than we ever did before we started making our own ammo.

The hardest part for me is finding a sensible middle ground on how much money I'm throwing at components. All truth I posted above... most folks can't get fantastic plated 9mm 124's for 7.5 cents per slug... but I would imagine that most folks don't slap a thousand dollar charge on their credit card that results in a mailman bringing a couple hundred pounds of bullets to their door. Just bullets. Not ammo. Just bullets.
Old November 13, 2015, 11:04 AM   #7
g.willikers

A word of caution.
If the main reason to get into reloading is to save money and make lots of ammo quickly, chances are your reloading equipment might soon be collecting dust in the closet.
You have to enjoy the process or you could easily join the ranks of those who have wasted a bunch of money on reloading to make a lot of unusable ammo.
Just a thought.
Old November 23, 2015, 10:54 PM   #8
Girvin13

I got a ton of reloading equipment including around 23K cast bullets for a song. Don't know if I'm going to use the cast bullets or not. My dad and me are getting into reloading for us and friends to shoot more. I would say its like anything else, if it seems like a job, it gets old quick. Hope to keep this a hobby for us.