The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2017, 06:20 PM   #26
FrontierGander

Im getting ready for a 9 day hunt. My rifle goes boom when I see what I have a tag for. No firing off my rifle at the end of the day. I put an orange ear plug over the nipple to make a seal and lower the hammer down. Fresh cap in the morning.
Old September 4, 2017, 08:57 PM   #27
Blindstitch

Quote:
Why would you feel the need to, especially if you're going hunting again that season?
Not if you're going hunting again that season. But when the sun goes down on the last day it's over. Simply pop the breech plug and it's empty for storing away till the next time it's needed.

Beyond that I hope the masking tape stays on and someone doesn't double stuff the barrel.
Old September 4, 2017, 09:01 PM   #28
mehavey

The only guy that would double stuff my rifle would be me.
And the ramrod would look awfully fully sticking out of the barrel
when the pre-loading dry-patch went down to hit bottom.
Old September 5, 2017, 09:05 AM   #29
Hawg

Quote:
when the sun goes down on the last day it's over. Simply pop the breech plug and it's empty for storing away till the next time it's needed.
Why? Like I said before I've fired guns that were loaded for years. As long as the rifle was properly loaded to begin with the charge will be fine. Dry balling is something everybody does sooner or later but it would take a complete idiot to double charge one. It's like mehavey said, drop the ramrod down the bore and it will be obvious as to whether it's loaded or not. Do it long enough and you can tell how much powder is behind the ball by how much ramrod is sticking out.
Old September 5, 2017, 10:01 AM   #30
maillemaker

I usually don't get into these threads, but to me, the whole point of shooting muzzle loading firearms is to harken back to the era of pre-1900's firearms. I have zero interest in shooting a Star Trek phaser that happens to be powered by some kind of "black powder".

I think these modern "muzzle loaders" were mostly invented to help people game "primitive" hunting seasons.
Old September 5, 2017, 10:33 AM   #31
noelf2

Quote:
Why? Like I said before I've fired guns that were loaded for years.
There are only a couple arguments supporting "why" it should be done. One is the case in which a person dies leaving powder and ball in the bore, and the gun is given to a relative, or sold to a novice, that doesn't know to always confirm a bore isn't already loaded (don't like the idea of my grandson getting hurt by my loaded gun some years after I croak). It's a safety for someone else thing. The second reason is for in-lines using 777 and some other substitute powders or pellets. They WILL degrade, and rather quickly. I always use a fresh load each day. In fact, I open a fresh batch of 777 pellets each season, and discard the remains from the previous year (YMMV). I will leave a BP load in a gun for the whole season if I have to (usually don't have to). BP just doesn't degrade the same.
Old September 5, 2017, 12:44 PM   #32
Blindstitch

Quote:
The second reason is for in-lines using 777 and some other substitute powders or pellets. They WILL degrade, and rather quickly.
Exactly. I like Triple 7 but that pack of 100 isn't exactly air tight. I put mine box and all in a ziplock when not in use and remove as much air as possible. I wouldn't leave the cap off my FFF or reloading powders. Thought about switching to blackhorn but the pellets are so convenient.
Old September 24, 2017, 07:29 PM   #33
Jbar4Ranch

I've got two inlines, out of twelve muzzle loading rifles. One is a cheapo Navy Arms "Country Boy" .50 cal, plastic stocked, etc., that I picked up at a garage sale or somesuch for next to nothing. It had a 3x9 Simmons scope that was worth more than the asking price. The other is a Pedersoli Gamma 9000 .54 cal with a round ball twist of between 1:60 - 1:66, as best I can tell using a cleaning rod and doing the math. I picked it up locally a few years ago for $125, and it seems to be a rather rare rifle - if you do a google search, you'll find mine and one or two others in the US, plus a couple in Europe.
That said, when I hunt with a muzzleloader, it's a traditional side lock, wood stocked rifle with a patched round ball and real black powder - no subs - but the inlines are definitely here to stay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedersoli54 008.jpg (61.0 KB, 23 views)

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; September 24, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old September 24, 2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Pahoo

Returning favors

Seeing that this post has already been hi-jacked, I'll add to the mix. ....

A fella I use to work with and allows me to shoot his game, asked me to remove the main charge on one of his MM/L's, without shooting it. After having it loaded for over five years with Pyrodex, he wanted to tell a buyer that it had never been shot. As a "favor" I removed the sabot round and propellant. Gave it a good inspection as well as cleaning and found no ill effects to the rifle. The bore was bright, shiny and unfired. My last comment to him was; Not to ask me to do this again .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 24, 2017, 09:04 PM   #35
BerdanSS

I have both. About 10 caplocks, a couple flintlocks and ONE inline, it was a gift from a very good friend. It is absolutely no more or less accurate, easy to load, faster ignition, or really any different in any way than a traditional caplocks other than looks. I don't use pellets in anything, they literally SUCK moisture even when stored in the factory storage containers. I use swiss, pretty much exclusively anymore. I even use cast minies or maxiballs in the inline when I shoot it.

Have I used it? Yes.
Have I taken deer with it? Yes
Do I prefer it? No.
As a standard iron sighted version (with the exception of the extremely easy to remove breech plug) does it have any advantage over any caplock made? Nope. I use it if it's sleeting or nasty out because I don't care to take my white mountain carbine I love so much out in it. As long as it's not pouring down rain or sleet, the inline stays home.
Old September 25, 2017, 05:19 AM   #36
Old Stony

When a guy takes his game in a manner consistent with the "primitive" aspect of the seasons....and not with some modern inline, it's something to be remembered the rest of your life. The seasons were originally designed to be tougher hunting by traditional methods, not with a scoped inline using pellets of something or other and plastic saboted bullets.
If a hunt really means something to a guy, he should be willing to do it in a manner that he could be proud of.
I will never hunt with an inline and would feel guilty doing so..
Old September 25, 2017, 08:32 AM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
I will never hunt with an inline and would feel guilty doing so.
I wont foul my hands with one.
Old September 25, 2017, 09:45 AM   #38
thallub

i could care less what kind of muzzleloader one hunts with. Since 1999 i have hunted mostly with inline rifles. Hunted with a conventional muzzleloader after Fort Sill changed the rules for muzzleloader season. Most of my hunting is done near or after sunset with a scoped inline.

Most dyed in the wool conventional muzzleloader advocates don't hunt, they punch paper. Just watched a thread where a guy complained the round balls made by Hornady are no good. There may be a grain or two deviation in weight between balls. Some of the ball casters claimed they could do better than Hornady.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:17 AM   #39
rodwhaincamo

As long as others are obeying the laws I don't care much which a person uses. They just aren't exactly what floats my boat. However I believe their creation was skirting regulations meant to be for more conventional muzzleloaders.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:49 AM   #40
Hawg

Quote:
Most dyed in the wool conventional muzzleloader advocates don't hunt, they punch paper.
Of course we don't because everybody knows you can't kill a deer with a conventional muzzleloader and iron sights.

People that use inlines and scopes can't hunt.
Old September 28, 2017, 05:14 AM   #41
Old Stony

Yup....we just can't hunt with the conventional rifles

Last edited by Old Stony; September 28, 2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old September 28, 2017, 06:30 AM   #42
rodwhaincamo

You two should be ashamed of yourselves!

Next you'll say something like you used an outdated spherical projectile cloaked with a piece of grandma's old feather pillow!

Old September 28, 2017, 10:51 AM   #43
Hawg

Quote:
You two should be ashamed of yourselves!
Should be but I'm not

Quote:
Next you'll say something like you used an outdated spherical projectile cloaked with a piece of grandma's old feather pillow!
Weeeeeell.....Actually.....
Old September 28, 2017, 12:16 PM   #44
Old Stony

Granny's pillows are safe, but I've been using some drapery material for years that my wife came across.
Old September 28, 2017, 02:59 PM   #45
thallub

Yep, i prefer to sneak up and put round balls in their ears:

https://imgur.com/BPzwq27

Last edited by thallub; September 28, 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old September 28, 2017, 03:21 PM   #46
Hawg

Quote:
Yep, i prefer to sneak up and put round balls in their ears:
I let the ball do the sneaking. I didn't take a pic of the entrance wound but that doe in my truck wasn't giving me a good shot so I put one behind her ear from 65 yards. It took out her left eye and came out her mouth.
Old October 22, 2017, 11:41 AM   #47
shortwave

Wow! Been gone a few years...return...and the same ole inline/traditional M/L jargon.
Glad to know that after better than 50yrs, clear back when the iron clad flinters used to throw rocks at the cap lock fellas(especially at some of the BP shooting clubs and events) that those cap lock fellas didn't pay any attention to the flinters and kept right on doing their thing and shooting those cap locks.
Then, BP substitutes came along and both the old flinters/cap lock shooters that would shoot nothing but real BP kinda put their flintlock/cap lock issues aside and teamed up against anyone shooting subs.
Now we have the dreaded inlines.... That are here to stay!

Isn't it funny how all that happens???

The old cigarette saying that says "smoke em if ya got em" needs to apply to m/l shooting as well...
..." choot em if ya got em"!

Last edited by shortwave; October 22, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 03:44 PM   #48
Troy800

Inlines will be here as long as hunting laws have a season they apply too. They are here for hunters like me. Someone who is looking to extend the season and put more meat in the freezer but not a traditionalist. Increasing the challenge or difficulty does not interest me only a legal and ethical kill. 1 permit = 1 kill the rest is personal preferance on how you enjoy the hunt.

I will be the first to admit that modern inlines and powders do not even resemble a traditional muzzleloader. My CVA Accura with BH209 powder is more accurate than a couple of off the shelf rifles i have owned. BH209 powder is about as clean as smokeless powder and i can use conventional cleaners and lubricants. I can shoot a 10+ shots without swabing the barrel, take it home and have it cleaned up quicker than my rifles. The only resemblance it has to a traditional muzzleloader is I only get one shot per load.
Old October 23, 2017, 01:05 PM   #49
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Not likely unless they were do either do away with a primitive season or remove inlines as an option during primitive season. The former isn't likely but the latter is a possibility I suppose.
My state has done away with "muzzle loader" season. Now called alternative methods. Which includes center fire handguns. I use either my TC Contender in 35 Remington or 7-30 Waters. If I am on a more thickly wooded stand I might use my 10MM Glock G20.
Gotta love it, big middle finger up to all those who ruined muzzle loader season with bolt action, pellet loaded jacketed bullet firing scope mounted 200+ yard synthetic and stainless wonder guns.
Now, let's get back to a loose powder solid lead projectile, exposed ignition rifle with no optics for a "muzzle loader" season.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2017, 05:44 PM   #50
Hawg

Quote:
My state has done away with "muzzle loader" season. Now called alternative methods. Which includes center fire handguns. I use either my TC Contender in 35 Remington or 7-30 Waters. If I am on a more thickly wooded stand I might use my 10MM Glock G20.
Gotta love it, big middle finger up to all those who ruined muzzle loader season with bolt action, pellet loaded jacketed bullet firing scope mounted 200+ yard synthetic and stainless wonder guns.
Now, let's get back to a loose powder solid lead projectile, exposed ignition rifle with no optics for a "muzzle loader" season.
Same here but they call it primitive weapons. For the last 12 years or so a primitive weapon was a breech loading external hammer single shot with smokeless powder and a scope in any caliber .35 and up. H&R Handi Rifles in .35 Whelen and 45-70 reined supreme. Last year they changed it to the above for the first primitive season but for the last two it is weapon of choice. Meaning you can use your 30-30 or 30-06 bolt rifle or even your AR 15 with 30 round mags. The only thing you can't use is a handgun of any description.