The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2019, 10:36 PM   #51
.38SuperMan

I own 4 new Kimbers. 1 Ultra two tone 45, 1 Eclipse Target 38 Super, 1 Pro TLE 45 and a Micro 9 two tone. No issues at all other than a bad 45 magazine that Kimber immediately replaced. They’ve been excellent right out of the box in each case. I also have a custom built Springfield 45 built for IPSC, a Springfield 9mm 5” RO stainless with target sights and a Colt LW Commander SXE 38 super. The Kimbers are the tightest, best fit and most accurate with superb triggers with the exception of my custom SA is a dream but for what it cost it should be. The 9mm SA is excellent in every way but the colt is poorly fitted and not blended at all. The Kimbers are very tight and the Colt very sloppy with regard to slide to frame fit. Edges on the Kimbers are rounded and well finished. The Colt edges are sharp and reflect a lack of finishing. My Eclipse requires a bushing wrench to disassemble, the bushing in the colt will fall out of the gun when swiveled to the disassemble position. The slide on the colt can be rocked side to side but none of my others.

I’m totally satisfied with my Kimbers and would buy another.
Old March 16, 2019, 09:44 AM   #52
Reloadron

Several years ago I ended up with a little Kimber Ultra CDP II. A friend needed money so he offered the below pictured gun at a $500 price just as seen with the Galco Holster and 3 magazines.

This is the only Kimber I own. It is also the only short 3" barrel .45 ACP I own. While I do not have thousands of rounds down range with it the maybe 800 I have shot were no failures with a mix of 230 grain hard ball, 230 grain JHP (my loads) and a few lead SWC bullets. The little gun also surprised me as to accuracy with the short barrel.

My niece won a full size Kimber 1911 at a NRA raffle and again, hers was really a good well functioning gun.

So while these are my only two up close and personal experiences with Kimber based on them I have no issues with Kimber. Over the years I have seen both good and bad experiences with just about any manufacturers guns. I sort of collect the Colt Series 70 1911 types and while most are great there were a few dogs which needed some tweaking and peaking done.

Ron
Old March 16, 2019, 12:39 PM   #53
pete2

I have 1 Kimber. It had a problem when new. It would go to slidelock on the next to last round about 1/3 of the time. I dimpled the slide stop and this corrected it. Boosted the hammer and installed a Colt sear spring, installed a small Colt safety. It's now a real shooter. It's accurate and reliable. I bought the lowest model 5" bbl. It's a plain black gun. It does have Good sights and beavertail grip safety. Has a full length guide rod, would be better without it but I got a bushing wrench with it. I have bought other 1911s since I bought the Kimber. I would buy another Kimber if the right deal came along. For the same money I would buy a Colt, Dan Wesson, or Springfield. I also have a Ruger CMD that I had boo coo problems with. Strangely the CMD may be my favorite .45 cal. 1911 to shoot. My latest 1911 is a 9 MM DW Valkyrie, zero malfunctions to date.
You pay your money and take your chances......................................................