The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 2, 2012, 11:23 PM   #26
HiBC

Seems like long ago,over ten years, I read an article about the standard training for Israelis who were carrying Browning HP's.They were carrying chamber empty,and from the draw they would bring the handgun up close in front of the chest,grab the slide,punch toward the target.

I do not intend to argue the merits of carrying a round in the chamberIMO,that is how a 1911 is carried for business,but might it be possible an entry level class to carrying a variety of handguns might teach this Israelli method ?

One caution I will suggest,the real life immediate action drills have merit,but in a range situation,if the pistol does not go bang and cycle,slow down,keep the muzzle safe,and figure out what is going on.A squib load can leave a bullet in the barrel,and things go bad if you shoot again.

Last edited by HiBC; July 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old July 2, 2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Striker1

Be careful using the overhand method to rack the slide if you are shooting a Beretta 92.