The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 23, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
wizrd

We need a new forum "Really Stupid Mistakes"

I believe the creation of a new forum is in order. Titled "Really Stupid Mistakes".
This actually took place at my rod & gun club.

Man shooting at the outdoor range, accompanied by a friend. Break open, single shot .357 Mag. rifle. He experiences a squib load. Very little noise. Witnessed by a new pistol shooter on the bench next to him. Rifle shooter was observed breaking open his action, checking the bore, then proceeded to chamber another round. (PISTOL SHOOTER TAKES IT FOR GRANTED THE BORE IS CLEAR.)

Another shot, by rifleman, another squibb load, same result, minor sound noted, like a primer going off. Opens action, checks bore, proceeds to get a long rod & a hammer out of his vehicle. After some pounding on the rod, accompanied by a little cursing and the remarks, "Don't know what happened here, I loaded this stuff myself". After much tapping on the rod....
TWO BULLETS COME OUT OF THE BORE & DROP ON THE FLOOR.
PISTOL SHOOTER STANDING NEXT TO HIM OBSERVING THIS ALMOST HAS A HEART ATTACK!!!

'What the hell are you doing here, are you trying to kill Me!!" Pistol shooter asks
brain-dead rifleman. Rifleman replies, "Well, duh, I don't know, I thought there was a bullet stuck in the barrel." Rifleman & his friend both seemed insulted that the pistol shooter questioned their sanity.

This is an unsupervised range, with club members going & coming as they please.
Rifleman is now banned, new club motto may be, " Don't come around here selling us any STUPID, we're full up."

I think we need a new forum for things this stupid. Pay attention to who you are shooting next to.
Old June 23, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Who is the more stupid?

The rifleman certainly is ignorant (lacks knowledge).

The pistoleer has knowledge, but passed up an opportunity to educate a fellow shooter.

Which is the more stupid act? The individual range may be safer, but the next range is not, nor the rest of the world and for an indeterminate length of time.

Maybe we do need a forum dedicated to the ridiculous, sublime and just plain crazy. It would serve as a repository for cautionary tales, education and occasionally, humor.

Good idea, wizrd. It would probably fill up fast.

Lost Sheep
Old June 23, 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
JimPage

Lost Sheep: I am a member of the same club. Proper remedial action was taken about the rifleman. The pistol shooter cleared out because of his survival instinct.

You are too quick to jump to conclusions with unfounded assumptions.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old June 23, 2012, 02:47 PM   #4
OEF-Vet

JimPage: Lost Sheep makes a good point on the story as it was written and told. I would not take offence to him pointing out that it's good practice for us to guide one another in safe practice at the range. He made an observation based on his interpretation of the OP's thread.
Quote:
Too quick to jump to conclusions with unfounded assumptions.
I hardly think that was the intention of a gentleman such as Lost Sheep.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old June 23, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing really relevant for discussion here.
Old June 23, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Thanks, Brian. You beat me to it.

Let me add:

[1] I don't think we need another forum. These sorts of things manage to get posted and find a place as it is.

[2] The point of posting this sort of thing should not be just to get a good laugh at someone's expense. The question will always be, what can we learn?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread