The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 1998, 01:48 AM   #1
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone know a simple method for tanning hides?

Will the fur stay on?
Old December 5, 1998, 11:21 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Years ago I used to stake out the hide(fur side down) and salt it. You then scrap as the salt pulls out the excess moisture and repeat as necessary. May need to work in something to keep the skin from excessively drying out and cracking.
If there is a blackpowder rendevuos near you soon, go there and get all sorts of better info than mine.
Dixie Gunworks catalog has quite a few books on buckskinning and tanning.
Old December 6, 1998, 03:42 PM   #3
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks! Can't hurt to have the Dixie catalog
Old December 7, 1998, 09:56 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Went to a gunshow this weekend and saw on a table some deer tanning potion. Didn't get a chance to look at it though. I imagine it was an acid base though.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-07-98).]
Old December 7, 1998, 10:48 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Open Invitiation to all buckskinners (if Rich doesn't nail my scalp to the flagpole for this):

Wipe the bar grease off your smokepole & sharpen your 'hawk. Next rendezvous I'm aware of will be in Livermore, CA on March 13 & 14.

There'll be a trail walk (about 24 shots) for $15 ($12 if you prepay), pistol shoot @ $5, and 'hawk/knife @ $3, shotgun $10, junior shoots $3. Distances for trail walk (rifle) will vary from as far as 215 yards to as close as 7. Can you shoot an axe head and split your ball into two to hit two clay pigeons at 15? Can you shoot a feather in half? Can you keep from laughing when the bottom of my powder horn drop out, spilling my powder all over? Come on down and find out!

A cannon shoot will be held on Saturday and generally signifies closing of the range to all other blackpowder activities. Cannoneers must call "Iron Horse" Ron Hill @ 510-215-5006 to pre-register. If anyone plans to stay on Saturday night (Livermore can get cold), dinner may be had for $8.00. Entertainment on Saturday Night includes a pie contest, tall tales, liars contest and ugliest mountain man contest.

Suttlers do appear (along with a blacksmith or two) and you can buy your gun, powder, balls, caps or flints, hawk, buttons, lamps, and everything else you'll need to explore the west.

Preregister by sending cheques to John Ridings (925-443-1201) at 5108 Pisces Ave., Livermore, CA 94550. Cheques should be made payable to Livermore Rod & Gun Club.

P.S. I'm not an organizner. I just show up, shoot and have fun like most everyone else.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited 12-07-98).]