The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 21, 2019, 10:41 AM   #51
briandg

Quote:
There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity but in the case of Pierce we don't have to worry about which side of the line he fell on.
i like the way you think.

i honestly feel, base on what i know about him, that he had a chip on his shoulder that was bigger than the hat on his head.
Old February 21, 2019, 10:56 AM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged
Quote:
As Bugs would say :"What a MAROON!"
Please remember that the bugs cartoon is very old and although I am sure the meaning is not intended to be be racial. Using a word which does have a historical meaning referring to slaves- can be taken the wrong way.

I used the word quite often as a kid from hearing it on the cartoons but sometime in the 90s I was cautioned about its historical meaning

Just to pile on a little, first we should remember that maroon is a shade of deep red, it is NOT in any way a shade of black -- or even brown.

Second: I'm 75 years old. Your comment is the very first time I have ever seen/heard anyone suggest that Bugs Bunny's use of "maroon" was anything other that an intentional (by the cartoonists) mispronunciation of the word "moron." To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever claimed that it had any racial overtones. I know for a fact that I have used it (in my best Bugs Bunny imitation accent) in the presence of persons of color, and nobody has ever expressed any sense of having been offended.

This "historical meaning" of which you speak, I'm sorry to inform you, does not exist.
Old February 21, 2019, 11:02 AM   #53
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Back to the original story, this incident serves as another example of why liberals don't think ordinary people should be allowed to carry guns -- they're afraid everyone will act as irresponsibly as they do.

A few more incidents like this and it may transpire that the most "commonsense" law we could enact to prevent "gun violence" might be a law that prohibits Democrats and liberals from possessing firearms.
Old February 21, 2019, 11:13 AM   #54
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg
That's covered above. Pierce had no right or justification to beat the guy up and take away the gun as phillips was peacefully walking away.
However, if Pierce had been armed he would have been fully within his rights to shoot Phillips when Phillips was pointing a gun at him.
Old February 21, 2019, 11:30 AM   #55
GarandTd

Quote:
The most "common" sense law we could enact to prevent "gun violence" might be a law that prohibits Democrats and liberals from possessing firearms.
You had to do it didn't you? Leave your politics out of this. This may have been a politically motivated altercation, but there are citizens at both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between that don't care for Trump. This is not a Democrats/liberal issue and those kind of comments put a real bad taste in my mouth.
Old February 21, 2019, 07:05 PM   #56
Bartholomew Roberts

People talk of Pierce’s stupidity in pursuing his attacker to the parking lot; and by and large, I’d agree that’s not how I’d bet with my life on the line. Still, it is worth remembering that people respond to different motivations. What many perceive as prudence, some will perceive as weakness. Prudence pays off right up until you meet one of those guys. Then you are encouraging an attack instead of deterring it.
Old February 21, 2019, 08:37 PM   #57
FireForged

Quote:
Second: I'm 75 years old. Your comment is the very first time I have ever seen/heard anyone suggest that Bugs Bunny's use of "maroon" was anything other that an intentional (by the cartoonists) mispronunciation of the word "moron." To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever claimed that it had any racial overtones. I know for a fact that I have used it (in my best Bugs Bunny imitation accent) in the presence of persons of color, and nobody has ever expressed any sense of having been offended.

This "historical meaning" of which you speak, I'm sorry to inform you, does not exist.

Aguila Blanca
It has been discussed extensively for at least 15 years on the internet, its not hard to find. I wont post a link to it.

best regards
Old February 21, 2019, 09:32 PM   #58
jmorris

Quote:
I'm 75 years old. Your comment is the very first time I have ever seen/heard anyone suggest that Bugs Bunny's use of "maroon" was anything other that an intentional (by the cartoonists) mispronunciation of the word "moron."
That because you are notpart of a generation that has to have a “safe space” at college where you can draw with crayons because someone’s opinion hurt your feelings.

You might also have deductive reasoning, another seemingly lost skill, in which Bugs calling an old white guy, Elmer Fudd, a “Maroon”, so was obviously not a form of racial discrimination.

Now that people don’t study history or read books, you might have to “Facebook” or “tweet” to see how uninformed opinions are created and propagate.

There are some folks that think nothing existed before the internet..
Old February 21, 2019, 09:36 PM   #59
zxcvbob

"Maroon" referring to a colony of escaped slaves does exist (I learned that from this thread) but it's an arcane and obscure definition of the word, and I'm not sure it's even derogatory anymore. The only ones who would be offended by it are looking for something to be offended by, and I'm happy to oblige them
Old February 21, 2019, 10:18 PM   #60
rural12

Quote:
Not what I said, I guess you missed the '?' at end of each QUESTION. Stupid people with guns doing stupid things...the price we pay for 2nd amendment rights?
I believe you did say that you agreed with both...certainly sounds as though you were suggesting it.

Quote:
"Red flag" law?
Mental health review as a requirement to own a handgun?

I agree with you both, BTW...too many stupid, untrained, people with guns.
Old February 22, 2019, 05:18 AM   #61
Mainah

It seems like any story involving MAGA hats deserves some time to unfold and let the facts simmer out. I'm thinking of those poor kids in D.C. who became a source of national controversy recently and the case in Chicago that's all over the news. But if you're in a big box store you can probably be pretty confident that the internal and external security cameras will capture enough to let you focus on protecting yourself and then calling the police after the threat is gone.
Old February 22, 2019, 07:53 AM   #62
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural12 View Post
I believe you did say that you agreed with both...certainly sounds as though you were suggesting it.

Ok, how do we keep hands out of the dummarses who almost daily, tries to settle an meaningless argument with a gun..Sam's club, the guy who 'argued' over a parking spot with his neighbor and shot him,
Quote:
Three people were shot and seriously wounded after an argument inside an apartment building on the city's South Side.

The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Monday inside the stairwell of an apartment building near 57th and Princeton in Englewood.
Police said three men were arguing with another man when he started shooting.
When somebody does something stupid with a gun, the 'gun people' roll their eyes and say, "stupid in public". When the anti gun people point out stupid in public with a gun...pro gun people slam the antis'...''what do ya expect? How far would 'gun rights' get w/o this stuff happening everyday..people here and elsewhere complain about the 'anti-gun' people, the 'antis' but everyday some RKBA person hands the 'antis' more 'ammo(sorry) to use.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 22, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old February 22, 2019, 01:03 PM   #63
Bartholomew Roberts

USNRet93: Happening every day? And then you cite two incidents months apart?

You seemed to get really upset with hyperbole in the Colorado red flag thread. Is it only when it is used to oppose gun control that it bothers you?
Old February 22, 2019, 09:40 PM   #64
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Too much squabbling and not enough reasoned discussion. 'Nuf.
Closed Thread