The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
naconst

trail camera

Anybody Use A Trail Camera,mine Seems To Eat Up 6 Volt Bateries,it A Moltri Digital.how Long Should The Bateries Last?
Mines Dead After 1 Week,maybe 5 Pictures Taken.
Old November 6, 2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I have an older one in 35mm. It takes 8 AA batteries. The longest mine has set out on trail was 8 days, and it took 34 pictures, all with flash (thick foliage), and there was still plenty of juice left in the batteries. I made a big mistake though; I had it set on a bridal trail at the ranch. Got 1 raccoon, 2 deer, and 31 horses' behinds . But about your problem, try lithium batteries. They last longer, and they don't die in cold weather.

Now here's a question for you folks that have one: How in the hell do you check the status of the camera (the LCD screen on the front of it) or open it up to turn it off without it taking a picture?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 7, 2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Windjammer

I use the DC-300 from Non-Typical. It a film camera, the unit runs on 2 9-volt batteries which last about 6 weeks of continuous use. The camera use 2 AA batteries and will last about 3 - 4 24 exp rolls of film.

I leave the camera out of two weeks at a time with no problems. Everyone is currently selling this unit for $99.00. Its seems to be a good little unit.

Also the batteries will not last as long in cold weather (below 40 degrees)