The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Black Wolf

Holster Ideas?

I've never used holsters (for any period of time). Tried a bunch, have a bunch collecting dust in drawers, heck I even used to make and sell holsters but I never really found one I like and eventually went back to appendix carry with no holster. I've actually carried like this for most of my life.

Now I have a brand new pistol and would like to try using a holster. So it would be helpful if folks with a similar sized pistol, body size, and taste in fashion let me know what is working well for them.

I have an M&P 2.0 Compact (Glock 19 size)
I'm 5'8" 180# 32" Waist
I normally wear blue jeans or 511 Tac lite pro's with a T-shirt. I like my shirts kind of snug but would go baggier if need be.

Suggestions
Old March 21, 2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Do you have a preference yet about where exactly you want to carry your gun/holster? (if right-handed) 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 12? Somewhere else? Are you going to be seated most of the time, or will you be pretty active?

My general advice is to keep the holster material simple: either quality leather (horsehide is preferred) or Kydex.

After that, it gets a bit more complicated. Your personal preference as far as position on the body, how much of the gun you want to actually be pressed against you and so on are going to be your issues, some of which I or others may not have. Or vice versa.

For myself, I have directed many people towards Galco, Desantis, Crossbreed, N82 Tactical, Bravo Concealment, and most recently Cherries (think John Wick low appendix carry). Most of the time I carry in one of my N82 Tacticals, mostly for the sheer comfort-ability. For hunting/fishing trips or any scenario where I think bad weather might be an issue, I usually leave the leather at home and go with an all-Kydex type, like Bravo Concealment. For the very rare occasions when I think I want truly deep complete concealment (home office conferences, weddings, etc.), I really like the Cherries appendix holster, though I'm still pretty new to appendix carry and don't carry that way often.

Oh, I'm 5'8", 175 lbs., and I typically carry either a commander length 1911 or a S&W Shield. My primary carry will soon be a S&W M&P40C 2.0, starting next month when the new holster gets here.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:30 PM   #3
5whiskey

Where do you prefer to carry? I've never tried ANY appendix carry that was comfortable for me. The closest I got was a kahr cm9 in a remora holster. I prefer owb high ride holsters around the 4 oclock position for a pistol that size. I would guess that the best iwb option would be saddle-style (molded to the hip) that is not boned leather but instead smoothed over. Think savoy leather style, except iwb with belt clips similar to crossbreed. I would probably make it about as wide as a savoy holster too. That will aid in concealment and comfort... But may make your pants a little more snug. I would prefer leather for iwb. Actually I always prefer leather, but especially iwb. Yes, you deal with moisture, but I find it much more comfortable. Plus a beeswax mixture treatment will keep out sweat moisture. And of course you would need a reinforcing band at the top for easy reholstering.

That's what I personally would make if I were you... Or were you really just thinking something you could buy?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 21, 2018, 11:19 PM   #4
Black Wolf

I want to buy one, not make one.

I prefer appendix but am not dead set on it.

I'd prefer leather. Just easier on the finish and my skin in the event it is IWB

Not opposed to OWB, if there's one that is kinda tucked into the body so that it isn't so "separate" from you the way some paddlebacks feel.

Anybody use the Desantis mini scabbard?
Old March 22, 2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Black Wolf

I've narrowed it down which should make giving me some suggestions a little easier. I realize I came on here and basically asked "how big is a fish?"

I want leather. Inside the waistband with a clip so it can be put on and taken off without removing the belt. It has to be stiff enough to hold its form without the pistol in it and the narrower the better. Thin is good, but I mean "narrow" that way I can wear it in different spots.