The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 5, 2017, 12:35 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
Ruger American rifles use the barrel nut system as well, it's just as easy to swap a barrel on them as it is a Savage. The only drawback is you'll probably have to fabricate a barrel nut wrench or pay someone to do it. However, there are replacement barrel nuts out there you can purchase to make the next barrel swap easier.
While the RPR uses it, I don't believe the RA does.

Every barrel maker in the world does Savage pre fit, head space is a cinch and the tools to do the job are $125 to $150.

All sorts of aftermarket parts of the bolt as well.
Old December 5, 2017, 12:58 PM   #27
fourbore

Quote:
I'm thinking about acquiring a bolt action .223, mainly for range plinking. I don't need a high end gun/optic capable of taking off a gnats wing at 1000 yards, but still want something of decent quality. Budget around $5-600.

The two candidates I am most interested in are the Ruger American and the Savage Model 11.

The Ruger American Ranch is chambered for .223/5.56 which might be an advantage. They run about $400 without a scope.

Savage has the Hog Hunter for about the same price, but with iron sights. They also have the Trophy Hunter package with a Nikon scope for around $480.

Any takes on how they compare? What are the pluses and minuses of each?
I have first hand experience with the Ruger American, none on that Savage. I guess that means I prefer the Ruger design and implementation over savage.
The single piece scope base on the ranch rifle is much better (mounting any scope) than the two piece american. The shorter barrel is handy to carry. I am satisfied with the Ruger. Practical for hunting & range plinking. Let me propose three other options.

I have been handling a TC venture at a local shop. It appears to be a very similar design and feature comparable rifle to the Ruger. The fit, finish and smooth operation- all look a bit better. Better stock. And comes with a 1 MOA guarantee. If I was in the market for what you want, I would definitely include this for consideration. Right at the moment, I would try this one.

Tikka was mentioned and it has a good accuracy reputation. You say accuracy not a big deal. For me, why own a rifle to shoot at the range and not be as accurate as the budget will stand? Tikka has the reputation for that.

One person mentioned Howa, I think that also is worth consideration. The action is sized for the 223. Very cute little package that by all credible accounts can deliver.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...a-mini-action/

There are so many good options here. Probably these last three all preferable over the first two proposed. IMHO.

I am not impressed with the free scopes. I have not seen one yet, I would care to keep. Having said that, Nikon makes some good scopes. I dont know what comes with the hog gun.

Final point, I did a barrel swap on a savage striker pistol. It went very well. But this is not for the beginner or anyone on a tight budget. Way beyond where the OP is coming from.

Last edited by fourbore; December 5, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 5, 2017, 03:54 PM   #28
hdwhit

I own several Rugers. I went to the store intent on buying a Ruger bolt rifle. While waiting to be helped, I noticed the Savage Axis on the rack. I asked to see both it and the Ruger. I liked the feel of the Savage better and bought it. I've been very satisfied with it.
Old December 5, 2017, 05:51 PM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

For a heavy barrel I would go with the Savage. For a sporter weight I would go with neither, and get a CZ. I love my CZ 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball. The single set trigger is awesome. The weight is light, and if I were having to walk while carrying it, I would not be bogged down by the weight of it. Otherwise the Savage Axis 2 would be my next choice.

I am not bashing Ruger as I own several of their revolvers, and an AR556. I have seen a wonderful M77 Mannlicher in .270 that I would love to own if I could pay the asking price of it.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:20 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
I am not impressed with the free scopes. I have not seen one yet, I would care to keep. Having said that, Nikon makes some good scopes. I dont know what comes with the hog gun.
While not my choice of scope, I got a Nikon 3-9 when I bought a Savage to put a different barrel on it.

I use it as a cross check if I am wondering about another scope.

Not a bad hunting scope and its good enough at 100 to tell me if other scopes are off or now.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:16 PM   #31
JN01

Quote:
You say accuracy not a big deal. For me, why own a rifle to shoot at the range and not be as accurate as the budget will stand?
I didn't mean to imply that I don't care if a rifle is incapable of grouping well. It is just that with my skill level and intended use, I don't need to spend the cash on an Olympic class gun.

I appreciate all the input from everyone, good food for thought.
Old December 5, 2017, 08:59 PM   #32
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Ruger American rifles use the barrel nut system as well, it's just as easy to swap a barrel on them as it is a Savage. The only drawback is you'll probably have to fabricate a barrel nut wrench or pay someone to do it. However, there are replacement barrel nuts out there you can purchase to make the next barrel swap easier.
While the RPR uses it, I don't believe the RA does.
You can believe all you want, doesn't make you right in this case. Pay special attention to #19.

It isn't hard to build the wrench if you have tools or access to the tools to do so.

Buliding a barrel nut wrench for Ruger American
Old December 5, 2017, 09:21 PM   #33
WyMark

I bought the RAR in .223 with a Sig Wiskey3 scope for $710 total. In hindsight (20/20), I would have spent the extra $50 for the RAP and put a brake on it.

Nothing but a range toy, but hearing that "tink" from a steel plate at 400 yards is just plain fun. I can hit the gong at 650, but it has to be dead still in order to hear that little 55 gn hit. And dead still is something that southeast Wyoming is not all that known for.
Old December 6, 2017, 05:43 PM   #34
RC20

Quote:
It isn't hard to build the wrench if you have tools or access to the tools to do so.
I stand corrected.

Did anyone watch that and see what he was doing with a micrometers?

Talk about a Savage (grin)
Old December 6, 2017, 08:35 PM   #35
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
Did anyone watch that and see what he was doing with a micrometers?
I would have used layout die and a scribe, but they are his tools. Still it's a pretty easy process that you can use to build a wrench with minimal tools. If you go slow you could probably even do it without a drill press.
Old December 7, 2017, 04:23 PM   #36
RC20

So, vs readily available Savage tools at low cost and parts plentiful ?

Yea I could build it and I would do it better and I don't have that drill press, how many can though?

How many hole saws did he ruined to make that hole? Notice the smoke and lack of showing the cut through?

I suppose you could modify my car to race the Indy 500 but why would you spend 5 million on it when you can buy a Indy care for 1 million?

In surveying (one of many careers) we would call that a forced closure.
Old December 7, 2017, 04:48 PM   #37
MarkCO

I have been very happy with the Ruger American in .223. I have that, and a Mossberg MVP.

I put the RA in a Boyd's stock and added a cheek riser and it is darn accurate. Mine is the all-weather standard length that I use as a trainer for precision. 77 TMKs are insane out of it. I am getting 30-40% better accuracy than my friends 223s from other makers...at a 50% or more discount.
Old December 8, 2017, 02:44 PM   #38
FNS-40

Savage has my vote
Old December 9, 2017, 12:47 PM   #39
taylorce1

Quote:
So, vs readily available Savage tools at low cost and parts plentiful ?
You don't have to fabricate any tool at all to get the nut off, but that tool helps you to reuse the original nut. This will really make some peoples heads spin, but if you really just need to get the nut off you can use a pipe wrench. Then for $50 you can get a new barrel nut and wrench to install it from Patriot Valley Arms, about the same price as a new Savage barrel nut and wrench from Northland Shooters. Pacific Tool and Gauge also makes a barrel nut for $17.50 plus shipping that either takes a spanner wrench or possibly the Savage barrel wrench, I don't know for sure but it would be easy enough for them to manufacture the new nut to fit existing barrel nut wrenches. So I would say the tools to change the barrel could be a wash.

Ruger's parts and tools availability will only get better as time goes on.

Quote:
Yea I could build it and I would do it better and I don't have that drill press, how many can though?

How many hole saws did he ruined to make that hole? Notice the smoke and lack of showing the cut through?
Pretty much anyone who seriously wants to DIY a barrel swap on a Ruger. It really doesn't matter if he ruined a bunch of hole saws, what matters is the process. The process used to build the wrench was sound, and easily followed for anyone wanting to build a barrel nut wrench. If you have better tools at your disposal why not use them?

Quote:
I suppose you could modify my car to race the Indy 500 but why would you spend 5 million on it when you can buy a Indy care for 1 million?
Many people feel the same way about people who modify/build Savage rifles. Those people haven't stopped me from building on Savage actions.
Old December 9, 2017, 02:34 PM   #40
RC20

Quote:
Savage has my vote
In this case I think so to.

Some not so much or a wash.

My neighbor as a Remington 30-06. Purely hunting. For him that does what he wants, I would not suggest anything else to or for him.

Savage is not always the right fit, but its hard to beat the price and Cabella, Dick s have store models that are amazing values.

Remington trigger these days is awful. Ok to hunt, if you want to target shoot then its a replaceable item.

Ruger? Havn't shot a new one so no idea.

Last edited by RC20; December 9, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 02:54 PM   #41
kenny53

I would like a bolt action that shoots 5.56. That is the reason I didn't buy the Savage Axis II was it only shot .223. I ended up with the Savage Axis II in 308. Not sure how that happened but I love the gun. Good luck with you choice.