The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 30, 2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Elliottsdad

Changing EDC based on time of year?

For those of you who live in climates that change drastically throughout the year (Midwesterners, Northeasterners, Mountaineers, etc.): Do you change what you carry or what you load it with based on the time of year/weather?

I got to thinking about this while reading about (insert single stack 9 here) being great for "t-shirt" weather. But what about when it's -2 F, with -15 windchill in mid January? Do you feel like you need more "umph" to pierce things the bad guys might be wearing (thick winter coats made of leather/heavy denim/tons of padding). I'm not trying to say armor, or car door piercing. I'm just talking about the heavy clothing we all wear when it's frigid.

I'm talking about carrying that single stack or subcompact 9mm in the summer while most are wearing a tshirt and shorts, and switching to 9mm +p, or even jumping up in cartridge (.40, .45) for the winter months. Or with your clothing becoming more concealing, do you switch to higher capacity autos because you can more easily carry larger pistols without issue?

I'm quite aware that I'm overthinking this, but I get curious about these things, and whether or not there are people that think/train this way. Or do you just carry the same thing year round because if it works in Summer, it'll work in Winter, too?
Old November 30, 2017, 03:39 PM   #2
DM357

I wouldn't say you're overthinking things, but that's just my opinion. Heavier clothing does make some difference in bullet performance, and the caliber seems to decide how much of a difference it makes. If I'm going to carry anything from 9mm on down, I'll typically go for the heavier bullet. From .357 SIG on up, from the little real world testing I've seen, it's not as much of a worry.

As for changing guns, not really. You'll see me sometimes with a model 69 .44 during July and then again in January. I don't do a lot that requires constant change in how I dress, so tossing a light cover shirt over me in the heat is no different than a coat in the cold. I'm also wheelchair-bound, so that helps a whole lot with carrying most any gun I can tolerate for long periods.
Old November 30, 2017, 04:41 PM   #3
scottycoyote

yep in the winter I will put some guns in my carry rotation that i normally dont carry the rest of the year because they are easier to hide with all the extra clothes
Old November 30, 2017, 05:33 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

The physically largest pistol I own is my CZ-85B. I carry it once and awhile, no matter the weather.

90 percent of the time I'm carrying my CZ P-07 with Streamlight TLR-3 IWB.

I live in the midwest and most of the time I do not find it difficult to conceal this combination. In the warmer months I usually just wear a slightly baggy T-shirt.

As for loading, I pretty much always carry 124gr JHPs. Usually Federal HST.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old November 30, 2017, 07:15 PM   #5
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycoyote View Post
yep in the winter I will put some guns in my carry rotation that i normally dont carry the rest of the year because they are easier to hide with all the extra clothes
^^^This, and since I expect bad guys to be wearing heavier clothes I generally move up the caliber scale also.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:33 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

Once in a while I will carry something different. Not often though. I do switch ammo though. A heavier bullet in the winter.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old November 30, 2017, 07:41 PM   #7
Brian48

I carry a 9mm during the summer months, a .45acp during the colder months.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:44 PM   #8
MandolinMan

I sometimes carry a larger pistol over the winter months, though not necessarily a larger caliber.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:47 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
But what about when it's -2 F, with -15 windchill in mid January?
I stay inside! As someone who spent a few winters in North Dakota with the HIGHS for day warming up to -10, staying inside was the smarter thing to do!
I know there are folks who talk about using something like a pocket revolver or LCR size in the summer and then big gun when wearing a coat, I guess if the gun type is the same, it shouldn't pose too much of an issue. IMO, going from a revolver to a semi or something drastically different is not a good idea for a EDC gun. The ability to react with it without thinking about anything is paramount.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 30, 2017, 08:13 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

My carry varies by weather and or dress. Summer typically equals smaller and winter larger. A Ruger LCP is my gun when I'm dressed more formally.
Old November 30, 2017, 09:03 PM   #11
Nanuk

I live in North Dakota and carry the same gun(s), same ammo summer or winter. Did the same in Texas.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:04 AM   #12
JC57

No change for me.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:25 AM   #13
Danoobie

There's two seasons in Florida- Christmas and the rest of the year.
While that may be a bit of an exaggeration, wearing an EDC in a long
hot season will change your perspective. Why change EDC for a couple
of cold months?
Old December 1, 2017, 06:38 AM   #14
Gary Gill

I carry a S&W M&P 9mm full size IWB regardless of weather. I have spent way to much time and money trying to find the perfect setup. Located in Indiana.
Old December 1, 2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Cosmodragoon

My carry changes because my clothing changes with the seasons. Concealed carry is always a compromise and wardrobe can be a major factor in deciding the point of compromise. If it's comfortable and convenient to CC a double-stack semi, go for it. If all you can manage is a little pocket gun, then that'll have to do.

Just be sure to get out and practice with whatever it is you are carrying that season. Some people get heated about dealing with the differences between guns. If you've got a few guns in regular rotation, and you shoot those guns in regular rotation over time, you should be okay. I actually like the idea of building general skill on top of specific mastery.
Old December 1, 2017, 06:56 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

It makes sense to me to move up in caliber when folks start wearing heavier clothing. In the past, I have changed both pistol and caliber, going from a G19 in 9mm to a 1911 in .45 when cold weather hit. However, I no longer do that, having settled on "point and shoot" pistols in 9mm for carry. I'm more concerned about my performance than bullet performance. If I had a .45 with no thumb safety, I'd likely carry it.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:18 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
If I had a .45 with no thumb safety, I'd likely carry it
If you get the itch for another gun G-36, about the size of a officers model 1911
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:24 AM   #18
CDW4ME

I've carried a Glock 22/35 or full size 1911 for the past year, we get everything from zero to 110 heat index.
A few years ago I decided that a Glock 19/23/30SF was as small as I'd go.
Increased carry over time and prefer the best I can do all year.
Old December 1, 2017, 08:06 AM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
If I had a .45 with no thumb safety, I'd likely carry it
S&W makes some nice revolvers that fit that criteria
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 1, 2017, 01:39 PM   #20
ranchito457

Yes I do-Last winter up until spring I carried a SW MP9C and when the summer heat hit I switched out to a G43. But by the end of September I switched back to the MP9C.. I mostly switch out to the G43 because its easier to conceal when I'm wearing shorts..
Old December 1, 2017, 01:44 PM   #21
Shadi Khalil

Makes sense but not something I do. I might pocket carry more in the winter but for the most part, M&P 9c IWB.
Old December 1, 2017, 02:00 PM   #22
rpseraph

My EDC does vary. Sometimes an LCP II, sometimes a full size XDM with 20 rounds in it, sometimes a SW 642, etc! I practice with all of them, I practice my draw with all of them. I have favorites, sometimes I carry a full size just because I CAN and it makes me happy. If I am wearing shorts and I'm coaching my kids soccer team, I carry what I can!
Old December 1, 2017, 09:07 PM   #23
peterg7

I use two CC guns, LCP and G23. Sometimes I carry a single sometimes two but weather or clothing has nothing to do with it. I can conceal the G23 just as well with shorts and oxford as jeans and flannel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 1, 2017, 09:41 PM   #24
tallball

I like big calibers and I do not lie...

Well, that statement is 50% true.

If it's cold and I'm wearing a coat, there will be a 44 caliber revolver in my coat pocket.

If it's hot outside (North Central Texas), I carry something smaller.
Old December 1, 2017, 10:21 PM   #25
Elliottsdad

Thanks for all the responses. I like seeing the carry experience through other people's eyes!

I'm considering a few models for a "winter pistol." I'm having the age-old argument with myself about power vs. capacity. Do I want to carry something bigger that holds more (15-17) rounds of 9mm, maybe in +P, or do I want to get not only a larger/full grip doublestack pistol, but one that fires a completely different, more powerful round (.40, .45, 10mm). I would stick with the same manual of arms either way (polymer, striker fired, no safety, etc.). This still leaves dozens of options.

The other way of looking at it (in my limited view) is carrying the same pistol year round, and using standard 9mm for 6 mos., and switching to 9mm+P for the colder 6. I've already decided to do at least this.

But I like guns, and I want to buy a new one. So there's that.

Last edited by Elliottsdad; December 1, 2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks