The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Kalgalath

Over and Under vrs Side by Side

I've noticed the popularity of over and under shotguns seem to be higher than that of the side by side double barrels. Is there a reason for this? I've always preferred side by side, not for any good reason I guess, maybe I just think they look better/meaner.

What do you guys think?
Old February 3, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

O/Us tend to be a bit less expensive than a side by side, or at least used to be.

A lot of people consider an O/U to be easier to hit with, too, because both barrels are on the same sighting plane, as opposed to being on either side of it.

I personally prefer SxS shotguns simply because I'm a traditionalist.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Depends on your usage. O/Us tend to give an easier sighting plane for target shooting, and so many prefer to carry that over to when shooting a field gun. SxS guns have different recoil characteristics,where if the gun is not properly fitted' especially cast, then success is minimal compared to the O/U

I love the lines of the SxS, and own two I like to use for birds, as I prefer double triggers for instant choke selection, and I can't afford a used Beretta ASEL in 20 with double triggers. But when it comes to shooting competition targets, theO/Ugets the nod first, and the semi comes in second.

Another reason is also due to weight. Most SxS guns are designed as field guns, so they are light and the recoil from competition or Argentina doves would leave in need of an ortho surgeon for your shoulder
Old February 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Doyle

The only real plus a SxS has over an O/U is in the field. You don't have to break it open as far to reload. Other than that, O/U has the advantage.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:56 AM   #5
shafter

I don't see how one really has an advantage over the other. I prefer a SxS but don't see it as having any advantages or disadvantages to any other double barrel.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I don't see how one really has an advantage over the other. I prefer a SxS but don't see it as having any advantages or disadvantages to any other double barrel.
Go to any sporting clays range, trap field, or skeet field and see how many people are using SxS shotguns. They just aren't in the winners circle at all. I personally like them for grouse and rabbit hunting but when I go target shooting the O/U goes with me. There is no comparison when it comes to hitting clay targets.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

The SxS field gun, especially from some of the better makers like AyA or Arrietta are balanced perfectly for field use, and are light - as in 6# for 20 and 6#12oz for a 12. Their weight and even balance tends to make them feel "whippy" to many. Good for birds juking all over, bad for trying to follow the smooth target line of a clay target - where some forward bias is preferred. The O/U tends top have a raised rib - this helps in keeping the head more erect -again a good thing for clays, and somewhat OK for birds. Most SxS guns tend to have a "swamped" rib, as you are not looking down it, but have your off hand as far forward as possible and you are trying to follow the live bird's movement. As I mentioned before the recoil is also different. An O/U tends to recoil straight back and straight up, whereas the SxS has more lateral yaw to go with the rearward recoil and upward movement. Because their barrels should also have a convergence pint, the fit, especially cast is important on the SxS to make sure the barrels align perfectly for your build -this is not as critical with the O/U.

I am referring to guns similar in build and quality like Browning and Beretta O/U, and the better Spanish SxS.

While sporting does have side events specifically for the SxS -(I won my class using mine at a recent tournament), when it comes time for the main event and the money, the O/U comes out
Old February 4, 2013, 04:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

Single sight plane on the O/U is the primary reason you see more O/U's on clay target fields..

Many of the SXS's are built on traditional european stock dimensions...often with very short length of pulls, a lot of drop at the comb and heel - and very thin or narrow grip areas ....which don't fit a lot of shooters / or the typical American style of shooting ...( and while some of us like the look of them -- if they don't "Fit" so they don't hit where we look ....they just don't work )...

well made SXS's are also very to mfg properly ...so good SXS's just plain cost more...
-------------------
Personally my primary Skeet and Sporting clays guns ( Browning O/U's with 30" barrels ) are also my primary Upland Bird guns...