The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 6, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Redworm

Question about SOB holsters

I've been told that holsters that go on the small of your back are a very bad idea. The reason being that in a struggle, falling on your back could force the holster and gun up against your spine and severely injure you. Is this commonly true or is it just a myth?

What are your opinions on the best types of holsters that offer the best concealment with easy draw and at least some consideration to comfort?
Old December 7, 2005, 01:04 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Lie down on top of a pistol and decide for yourself how much it would hurt.

Lie down on top of a pistol and decide for yourself how much it would hurt.

It doesn't take a struggle - I knew a guy who just slipped, fell flat on his back and broke his neck - no pistol involved but a pistol usually makes it worse.

For a non-leo with the option of simply walking away and no obligation to chase people - indeed an obligation not to take his gun and chase people - the chance of a struggle while the gun is in the holster may be pretty slight - the chance of a simple accident may be much greater.

I don't know what commonly means in this context - many more people wear SOB than have been crippled but it has happened.

Contemplate the draw stroke and decide for yourself how effective you would be.

Best concealment with an easy draw and some consideration for comfort is an Alessi Draw Through shoulder holster with a smaller pistol (about the only question I've seen on these boards where I really think there is a best instead of a good enough or works for me) - of course it does demand the right cover garment - the question gets harder when the choice of cover garment is restricted.
Old December 7, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
dairycreek

Redworm

Conventional wisdom has it that the SOB holsters with a gun in them are dangerous to wear when placed directly over the spine - and this does make some sense. I have a couple of SOB holsters and can say from personal experience that when they are worn over the spine they are really uncomfortable for sitting - particularly in a straight back wooden chair - really uncomfortable.

But, what folks often fail to mention, is that SOB holsters don't have to be worn in the center of the back to be effective for concealed carry!! In fact, if they are worn more towards the kidney (to the right for me as I am right handed) they are doggone comfortable, are easier to reach to draw your gun, and conceal just as effectively when worn over the spine.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old December 8, 2005, 04:35 AM   #4
Hang-Fire

Try sitting through a movie with a 1911 digging into the small of your back, or driving very far.

HF
Old December 8, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Musketeer

I fell with a hunk of metal in my SOB. It wasn't a gun but of similar dimensions and I was is serious pain for a couple weeks afterwards. There is also the problem with concealing. If your cover garment rides up and exposes a SOB you will be the last one to know within 100 yards. I prefer strong side hip at the 3:30 to 4:00 position.
Old December 8, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6
MikeWrite

I work for Galco. We have sold literally thousands (if not tens of thousands) of our SOB holsters. To the best of my knowledge, we have never been contacted about someone being injured in fall or struggle while wearing an SOB holster. That's not to say it's never happened, but it's certainly not the epidemic that some would have you believe. The vast majority of our SOB purchasers are very happy with the holster.

Mike

I am a leaf on the wind.
Old December 10, 2005, 08:51 PM   #7
chameleon

I really like my Galco SOB. It fits my J frames real well. The thing I do not like about it is the ease that some one behind me would have to draw my gun.
My other concern is that my shirt may get caught above the holster/gun, and thus exposing the gun.

The heavier the revolver I put in that holster, the more bounce it had. I felt the butt of the gun banging on my back.

Never had a fear of falling on it.

Old December 11, 2005, 01:53 PM   #8
L-2

There are various trade-offs and possibilities when carrying guns. The small-of-back method is useful. It does need an over-the-waist cover garment, but so does side carry. Get in the habit of keeping your shirt/jacket over your waist.
Keep the weapon off your spine, toward your strong hand and you should be fine. In this way, SOB is more like an extreme behind-hip-carry.
Another trade-off is weapon retention. Here, concealment is your best defense. Also, daily ensure any holster tension screws are tight.
In-vehicle drawing. Drawing while seated in a car was surprising easier. On strong-side carry, the seatbelt typically gets in my way as the buckle and straps tend to be located right where my holster is. With SOB carry, one merely has to lean slightly forward to draw the weapon from behind and the seatbelt straps don't interfere. With that said, I've found shoulder-holster carry to be most comfortable for long trips (several hour drives). For short trips, SOB carry wasn't a problem.
While SOB carry may not be for everyone, for others, it may be the ideal method.

Last edited by L-2; January 28, 2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old December 12, 2005, 06:13 PM   #9
RJay

SOB holsters are somewhat like seatbelts. Seatbelts save lives, it's a proven fact. However, I know indiviuals who refused to wear them for what ever reason. I have friends in the constrution trade who have hurt their backs in falls.( backward ond hit a small rock or tool right at the SOB arear). If you're over 16 years old and and don't want to wear a seatbelt( but not in my car), good for you , you have a right to do dumb things. If you're over 21 and want to use a sob holster, hey, that's great, good for you , you also have that same right.
Old December 12, 2005, 07:03 PM   #10
RJay

SOB holsters are somewhat like seatbelts. Seatbelts save lives, it's a proven fact. However, I know indiviuals who refused to wear them for what ever reason. I have friends in the constrution trade who have hurt their backs in falls.( backward ond hit a small rock or tool right at the SOB arear). If you're over 16 years old and and don't want to wear a seatbelt( but not in my car), good for you , you have a right to do dumb things. SOBs can cause back problems, If you're over 21 and want to use a sob holster, hey, that's great, good for you , you also have that same right.
Old December 13, 2005, 08:56 PM   #11
John28226

Sob

I carried a full size Govt. Model 45 ACP in an SOB holster for many years. I had to hunt some to find one that holstered the gun "palm out" (butt of the gun down) instead of the more common "palm in" (butt of the gun up) method. Spent a lot of the day in an office sitting behind a desk - never a problem.

I did not get into a tussle or fall on my back but then of the many times I have fallen, including quite a few from/on a motorcycle, I have never fallen on my back. Besides, the gun rode just to the right of my spine.

I wore a suit most of the time I carried that way, so the coat always concealed the gun quite well. I could not use this holster for IPSC as when drawing the gun you could not help but pan your body. I did not, however, ever shoot myself!

When I changed to a Glock 30 I had Fist make a holster for it for the same style of carry.

Since I seldom wear a suit anymore, I prefer the Glock rest in a Tucker Texas Heritage at 4:00 o'clock.

Hope this helps you to decide. How you dress is, for me, a better measure of how I carry than some rumor about back injuries.

John
Charlotte, NC