The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 1, 2005, 09:52 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

I humbly bow to you, Mr. Ken Onion

The Kershaw Leek, I've decided, is ALMOST the perfect EDC knife. I can think of several possible small improvements, but I just got another one of these today, and it's just about perfect an all-purpose, slim-profile, EDC knife, at least for my uses. It could if called upon, be a heck of a self-defense stabber & slasher too. The one I got today is dubbed the "1660 CKTST" and it has a stickier/grippier surface somehow than my other leek, the "1660 BWST", so naturally, I'm even more happy than before, since I saw the grip issue as a flaw.

Ahh, here we go - the black ones are "DLC coated" - must account for the grippier-ness.

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...nionseries.htm

Actually, I do have one rather large complaint - it doesn't come with the necessary small torx/star allen wrench needed to switch out the clip position and remove the scales - wth?

Oops, upon further inspection, I like the aluminun-handled one better for EDC, as it is much lighter. What I need is the aluminum-handled one with the DLC coating - either that or I'm gonna have to checker the alum. scales of the 1660 BWST
Old December 7, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
SMITH910

Great knife!

I purchased one the other day too, I am really impressed with it. very slim handle, 3 inch blade which is perfect, two ways of opening it(assisted opening), safety, reversible belt clip. I have the 1660ST with the partly serrated blade. I give it 5 stars.
Old December 8, 2005, 03:19 AM   #3
robt2k

If you have any type of generic cellular phone accessories place near you (maybe at a mall? mine was)
They have the right size torx bit to remove the bolts holding the clip on, seems they use them for faceplates on motorolas. I asked to use it for 30 seconds and switched mine around to a blade up carry.

I have the ken onion designed "tactical blur", very nice I really like the assisted opening and the looks of the tanto style blade.
Old December 9, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Hey thanks!! When I'm out Christmas shopping this weekend at the mall, I'll stop by the phone store in the hallway and see if they can hook me up.
Old December 9, 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Musketeer

I have had a Leek for 1 1/2 years now. The only thing I do not like is the blade profile. Too much like a straight razor for my tastes and a little too flimsy. There are other styles though now so I see me getting something new under the tree...
Old December 17, 2005, 08:53 PM   #6
kymasabe

I have the 1660ST and it's been a great knife. It'll do for now until I can afford a BenchMade.
Old December 17, 2005, 08:54 PM   #7
kymasabe

I have the 1660ST and it's been a great knife. It'll do for now until I can afford a BenchMade.