The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 15, 2017, 05:41 PM   #1
MountainMan83

Springfield 1903 or 1903A3 bolt?

I have a Springfield 1903 that was sporterized and is sort of a Frankenstein of parts between an 03 and an 03A3. It’s an 03 receiver with an 03A3 barrel and an 03A3 floorplate and so on. I’m having trouble finding what type of bolt mine is and whether or not it’s nickel steel. The handle’s been forged and the Hatcher hole has been drilled into it along with another gas escape hole that I assume to be original. Anybody know which type it is?
Old December 15, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
mete

Can't help you there but I have a '03 MARK I.
More reliable since it has two ejection ports !
Old December 15, 2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Slamfire

Based on the gas port location, in fact two gas port holes, that bolt is a late 1930's bolt. Brophy calls it a 1903A1 bolt, which is the pistol grip stock era. It should be a nickel steel bolt, and a good one. Looks like the bolt handle was altered so it is likely the NS marking was removed when the bolt handle profile was changed.

Notice the indent on the locking lug? There was a plunger in 03 Springfield receivers that mated with that indent. The purpose was to keep the bolt open as you stripper clip loaded the rifle. The plunger was typically tossed as it was useless.
Old December 15, 2017, 07:58 PM   #4
thallub

Quote:
The purpose was to keep the bolt open as you stripper clip loaded the rifle. The plunger was typically tossed as it was useless.
That was not the only use. i met guys who were soldiers in the 20s and 30s. They called it the "parade rest". It kept the bolt open while the inspecting officer handled the rifle.