The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2017, 10:04 AM   #1
2damnold4this

AR conundrum

So, I have this Rock River Elite Operator that I'm not thrilled with. There isn't anything wrong with the gun, it's just not set up how I'd like it to be. It's heavier than it needs to be for the length and I'd rather have a flash hider than a muzzle brake. It's a bit over gassed but it shoots great with an H2 buffer. It's an accurate rifle but it's just not what I want.

If I were to sell the rifle with its case and accessories, I'd get the most money for a different firearm but buying an entire firearm would be more costly than just buying an upper. I'm not sure how much money the selling just upper would bring but a different upper would address most of the issues I have with the rifle. Changing the forend and brake would address some of the issues but might leave me with a rifle I still am not thrilled with.

My question is this: Do I sell the rifle and buy something else, sell the upper and buy another upper, or replace the forend and muzzle brake?
Old November 23, 2017, 12:19 PM   #2
turtlehead

Can you post a picture? And what do you want from the new upper?
Old November 23, 2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Prices on ARs are pretty low now. I’d hold onto the upper for now and buy a new upper.
Old November 23, 2017, 02:54 PM   #4
rickyrick

Probably won’t get a good price to sell anything. Maybe lessen the cost to sell, but I’d think you’d come out less of a loss just buying an upper or reconstructing of the original.
Old November 23, 2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Charlie98

Depends on if you really like the lower... if it's set up the way you like it, and it's unlikely a new complete rifle would come that way (i.e. special parts, trigger, etc...) I'd swap the upper.

Selling the upper... these days you probably wouldn't get what it's worth, but it might be enough to offset some of the cost of an upper built the way you want it.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:27 PM   #6
G.barnes

If your happy with the barrel the just change then handguard and brake. For what you'll get if you sell it won't be worth it.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:32 PM   #7
2damnold4this

Quote:
Can you post a picture?
With the exception of the rear sight, my upper looks much the one on this rifle: link

Quote:
And what do you want from the new upper?
There are a couple of ideas that I'm kicking around.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Sharkbite

My buddy has a RRA operator as his duty patrol rifle. The first time i held that gun i said “HOLY CRAP THATS HEAVY”. Since then we have rebarreled and changed the handguard.

Its a whole new rifle. Lightweight Faxon barrel and a midsouth lightweight handguard trimmed the fst and made it into a handy package.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:39 PM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
There isn't anything wrong with the gun, it's just not set up how I'd like it to be. It's heavier than it needs to be for the length and I'd rather have a flash hider than a muzzle brake. It's a bit over gassed but it shoots great with an H2 buffer. It's an accurate rifle but it's just not what I want.
What has already been said about prices being low now is certainly true. I would add that I find it hard to let go of an accurate, proven rifle, upper or barrel unless I already have an accurate, proven rifle, upper or barrel that will replace it.

If you do need to sell, you may find a wider audience of potential buyers online just because it isn't a federally regulated item. I don't know whether anyone would pay a premium for an all Rock River rifle.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:14 PM   #10
turtlehead

It DOES look heavy.

I'd replace the barrel, gas block, and rail. And whatever that thing is on the upper receiver.

For example: Ballistic Advantage pencil barrel. ALG Defense rail (rock solid). Low profile gas block. A2 flash hider. The ALG rails are on sale right now at 30% off.
Old November 25, 2017, 04:51 PM   #11
amprecon

I bought a LAR-68, it had a heavy barrel on it. I changed it out for a scout profile barrel with better twist rate and grooves, it made a huge difference in weight. I sold the barrel off along with all the furniture and put MOE stuff on it. I also swapped out the RRA upper for a PSA slick-side. It is outfitted the way I want it now.
So, I essentially kept the original rifle and just changed out the components I wasn't happy with and added what I wanted. It was probably the more expensive way to do it, but it's built the way I like it now.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old November 25, 2017, 06:10 PM   #12
brycewise

It depends...

What is it you want a new upper to do that this one doesn't? I couldn't quite tell what all you wanted to change on it... It sounds like its just the setup you don't like and want a Flash hider and different hand guards .If you were to have a gunsmith install these it would be about $75-$100 to install them plus the price of the devices themselves.

A new upper is anywhere between $300 to $1000 depending on its make. Rock river is a pretty respectable brand. If I were you, I would keep the rifle, get an adjustable gas block (for the over gassing) and buy the parts you want have them installed and if you are happy with the new set up, sell the old parts... If you aren't happy and still want another upper the parts you installed on the rock river could be installed on the new upper and put the old parts back on the rock river and sell it...

AR's are like big boy Legos and You probably wont find the exact set up you want from a factory, and will still be buying a few of same parts either way

Last edited by brycewise; November 25, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Nathan

It seems ok, but I see you basically want a lightweight upper.

My gut feeling is you could get $300-$350 for it. Then buy a PSA lightweight and PSA prem BCG for $300.