The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 4, 2020, 11:18 PM   #26
rc

Learn to reload. I would suggest 158 grain soft point or XTP as a general use loading. I would suggest Unique or similar powder in a short barreled revolver. H110 is all flash and bluster with little power. Most ammo is not loaded optimum for short barrels.
Old November 9, 2020, 06:12 PM   #27
mrt949

I am the OP I reloaded years ago now I am looking for the easy way out .
Old November 10, 2020, 11:54 PM   #28
roscoe

Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap, Underwood. All make good hot-loaded 180+ grain hardcast loads.

But do yourself a favor and put some Hogue grips before touching all that heat off. Your hand, especially your middle finger, will thank you. You can also get 158 grain hardcast .38+P loads that are less painful and still pretty potent.
Old November 11, 2020, 02:49 AM   #29
Sarge

The last time I was in Alaska--12 years ago, I'm sorry to say--I picked up a 20 pack of Alaska Backpacker 200 grain cast 357 in Anchorage, for the 2 1/4" SP101 that lived in my right jacket pocket until I got on the plane to fly home.

Once home, I clocked it from that revolver. They chrono'ed 970 fps from the 2 ¼” SP101. The load's velocity didn't impress me much- until I started shooting things with it. It easily bored through a 3 inch seasoned oak limb, digging an inch groove in the trunk behind. It shot through an old mower deck, .45 hardball only dented.
Old November 16, 2020, 04:10 AM   #30
Webleymkv

It was briefly mentioned, but it bears repeating that where the woods the OP will be in and what is in said woods is of utmost importance in determining the best "woods carry" ammunition. Here in Indiana, the most dangerous things I'm likely to encounter in the woods are feral or rabid dogs and people who don't take kindly to me stumbling upon their meth lab or pot farm. For me, the same ammunition that I'd carry for self-defense in town would be equally practical in the woods. Now, if you live or frequent areas where large, dangerous animals like moose, feral hogs, or bears live then a heavy bullet of the moderately-expanding or non-expanding variety would be more prudent.

However, I somewhat question the notion that the heaviest bullet at the highest velocity is necessarily the answer. A good 158 gr SWC at 1200-1300 fps will penetrate an awful lot and it won't have the vicious recoil of the hot boutique loads with 180+ gr bullets, particularly from a relatively small, light gun like the OP's SP101. It seems to me that something of more moderate power, which will still penetrate plenty, that is more pleasant to shoot and thus more conducive to regular practice would be a wiser choice. If a "normal" .357 Magnum as I've described won't get the job done, then perhaps a better idea would be to step up to a bigger, heavier gun in a larger caliber like .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum.
Old November 16, 2020, 09:37 AM   #31
mrt949

Webleymky Over the years I Did Handgun Hunting With a 14" 44Mag Contender and With A 44Mag Super Blackhawk Never Shot Anything . I have a Ruger Security Six Stainless and a 4.2 SP 101 Also When the ammo gets back on the shelves .WE WILL SEE .I carry
My 2.4 SP 101 With 125 Remington HP for daily carry
Old November 16, 2020, 11:29 AM   #32
Mycin

For a good-penetrating moderate load, I suggest the HSM Cowboy Action round:

https://hsmammunition.com/cowboy-action/

The .357 version uses a 158gr hardcast SWC and is rated at 1175 fps, so recoil out of the SP-101 should be more manageable than with the typical "bear load" rounds. I've shot a few hundred of these as a plinking load (they cost about $.50 per round in "normal" times at Cabelas) and I've always thought they would make a decent woods round in a pinch.